DIY Bear Hunting Arkansas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by down2hunt View Post
    We are going in Oct., but we haven't picked dates yet. I'm curious about the harvest success. According to this report (http://www.agfc.com/resources/Public...report_web.pdf) 392 black bears were harvest in Zone 1 and 114 in Zone 2 during 2009.

Did you find a more current report that shows something different? I would prefer to hunt Ouachita b/c it is closer, but I'd rather drive a couple more hours to increase my chances by almost 70%.
    read the last harvest report which was 2009-2010. MOST bears in Zone 1 were shot on PRIVATE land over bait. Harvest for Ozark and Ouachita was the same for PUBLIC land in the National forests. Zone 2 opens 2 weeks earlier than zone 1 and most bears were taken in the first week. They said zone 1 was getting over harvested. I'm planning on staying at Crystal campground. Its free and near a place called Bear Mtn., so.....

I'm planning on going SEPT. 25th-30th if anyone is interested in making it a group. I have a 4 wheeler to get around after getting to camp.
    Last edited by SanAngeloBowman; 07-10-2011, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Did you find a more current report that shows something different? I would prefer to hunt Ouachita b/c it is closer, but I'd rather drive a couple more hours to increase my chances by almost 70%.
      I read the whole written report (where I read info) as well as looking at the stats.

Comment

Originally posted by SanAngeloBowman View Post
        read the last harvest report which was 2009-2010. MOST bears in Zone 1 were shot on PRIVATE land over bait. Harvest for Ozark and Ouachita was the same for PUBLIC land in the National forests. Zone 2 opens 2 weeks earlier than zone 1 and most bears were taken in the first week. They said zone 1 was getting over harvested. I'm planning on staying at Crystal campground. Its free and near a place called Bear Mtn., so.....

I'm planning on going SEPT. 25th-30th if anyone is interested in making it a group. I have a 4 wheeler to get around after getting to camp.
        Thanks for pointing that out (I missed the private/public land). I read the report as well, but just overlooked that.

I'll have to look at that area. I would prefer to go earlier as well so it doesn't interfere with whitetail season.

Comment

Thanks for pointing that out (I missed the private/public land). I read the report as well, but just overlooked that.

I'll have to look at that area. I would prefer to go earlier as well so it doesn't interfere with whitetail season.
          well lemmee know if your group is interested in going earlier. I have a big filming project at a ranch here in Texas thats going to keep me tied up most all of Oct. plus I wanna be home for opening weekend too.

Comment

well lemmee know if your group is interested in going earlier. I have a big filming project at a ranch here in Texas thats going to keep me tied up most all of Oct. plus I wanna be home for opening weekend too.
            I appreciate the offer. I spoke to one of the guys, but he is ushering Aggie games on the 17th and 24th. I'm trying to get him to call in sick on weekend. I'd rather go earlier and not go during October.

I just looked at your dates again. This may work perfect for us.

Do you have anyone you're going with? We've got 3 in our group. Have you ever been bear hunting before?
            Last edited by down2hunt; 07-10-2011, 10:12 PM.

Comment

I appreciate the offer. I spoke to one of the guys, but he is ushering Aggie games on the 17th and 24th. I'm trying to get him to call in sick on weekend. I'd rather go earlier and not go during October.

Do you have anyone you're going with? We've got 3 in our group. Have you ever been bear hunting before?
              his schedule is no biggie. I'm leaving the 25th. so far I'm going alone. I have 2 guys that say they want to go but are not definite. First bear hunt but not an issue to me. I'm ok with going at it alone even first time. been hunting for years and come across sevral bears just never set out to hunt them purposefully. Usually saw them while Elk hunting in Washigton and Oregon. Probably spend first day cruising around get lay of the land glassing clearings and forest roads till I find a spot to hang a stand the last couple days. should be fun and cheap hunt.

Comment

I never did any stomping around in the Ozarks, most of mine was done in the Ouachitas, and that was late 70s/early 80s.

Comment

Here is what I have, recommended by my folks, that never did any bear hunting.

Dry Creek Wilderness, Ouachita National Forest

USGS Quadrangle Maps: Blue Mountain Dam, Sugar Grove
                  6,300 acres featuring secluded forest, flowing streams and sandstone bluffs. This is truly a remote corner of Arkansas offering a wide variety of scenic resources. The wilderness is accessible by hiking in on old roads or going cross country. One of the largest populations of black bears in Arkansas resides here. They were stocked during a secret program in the early 1960's and came from northern Minnesota.

It's in Logan County which if further North than my original suggestion. 10 bear in 2006.

When you hear the banjos, smile!

Comment

I'm starting to get really excited about this hunt! cant wait to hit the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                      Here is what I have, recommended by my folks, that never did any bear hunting.

Dry Creek Wilderness, Ouachita National Forest

USGS Quadrangle Maps: Blue Mountain Dam, Sugar Grove
                      6,300 acres featuring secluded forest, flowing streams and sandstone bluffs. This is truly a remote corner of Arkansas offering a wide variety of scenic resources. The wilderness is accessible by hiking in on old roads or going cross country. One of the largest populations of black bears in Arkansas resides here. They were stocked during a secret program in the early 1960's and came from northern Minnesota.

It's in Logan County which if further North than my original suggestion. 10 bear in 2006.

When you hear the banjos, smile!
                      Thanks for the info. I'll look into that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'll look into that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Patrick

Got some good info from KEEP today on how to skin/clean/package pelts for transport etc. Went shopping for new gear today. gettin' pretty fired up about this.

Comment

Hunt their food source for the time of year you are hunting

Comment

Originally posted by TD2000 View Post
                            Hunt their food source for the time of year you are hunting
                            Bingo! ^^^^^^^ we have a winner J/K ya thats the plan.

Comment

Patrick

Got some good info from KEEP today on how to skin/clean/package pelts for transport etc. Went shopping for new gear today. gettin' pretty fired up about this.
                              Haha, I know what you mean. It's hard to focus on work. I've been shopping for an atv.

What kind of gear are you buying?

Comment

mostly looked at new tents and a cot, and gonna buy another treestand and lock on steps, plus bought a Evolution 3D camo set in Real Tree Max 1, then probably look at new knife set and large frame big game pack, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X