Realtor question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Realtor question

Short back story, i was working for the State and then my wife and i had our first child. While visiting her parents on maternity leave, she got offered a good job. She accepted and we pulled roots from the austin area and moved back to her home town. (Kerrville).......

So i have been out of work for 6 months taking care of the kid and after lots of thinking, i am considering a career change and become a realtor. I am looking for some advise from current realtors or anyone who has been a realtor.

Is it good career move?
    Do you enjoy being a realtor?
    Etc.......

Thanks for any advice or suggestions

My wife got her license 3 1/2 years ago and started from scratch, so I have watched someone do what you are talking about. 2017 was a great year for her, but it was her first. Last year she only made about $25K and she netted almost nothing.
    It isn’t free to be a realtor. There are quarterly dues, yearly continuing education requirements, etc. You need to have a nice 4 door vehicle, be available at odd times, and take rejection well. My wife has a $$$ listing she has spent a lot of money trying to sell: catered open houses, staging, etc. It’s a high dollar house and they take time to sell. She may lose the listing in April if it does not sell, and she’s out the time and money she has invested.

Comment

I'd thought about this idea as well, however, in Kerrville realtors are almost outnumbering the buyers/sellers these days. It's extremely competitive here. I had also looked in the home inspector/appraiser side of things. Appraisers are more in demand than inspectors it sounds like....

Comment

The ones that's Ive seen be successful fast have one of two things. $50k+ to throw down on advertising up front. Or a huge list of local contacts already in place. Hard work alone can get you there but expect it to be 5 years before you see it start to pay off.

Comment

I’m a realtor in Austin I thoroughly enjoy it. It is something completely different every day from managing contractors on a repair to negotiating a sales price to lots of hours on the phone doing follow ups. It can take a while to build up a pipeline of business and as mentioned there are numerous expenses to be covered.

I’m a people-person and really enjoy working with others and helping people out. There are also times when you play the role of a therapist and listen to client’s life problems about divorce/money/family illness etc. It’s crucial to be in tune with what your client needs and if you don’t have the patience or will to care- it can/will be frustrating.

I’ve been successful in my first 16 months with over $3 million closed in year one and I certainly didn’t have $50k to throw at getting started. Although I have a long list of contacts from living my whole life here, I’m yet to do a deal with anybody I knew prior to entering the business. I generate business by hosting open houses, answering the phones at the office, and mailing real estate reports to a farm area. Hopefully soon my peers will be at the stage in their life to buy their first home- my warm market is my biggest list of prospects. Staying in front of people is crucial- let everybody know you're in real estate and become the expert.

I enjoy the motivation of being in control of how much money I make by being 100% commission based. Bust your rear and make it happen.
          Last edited by Patton; 01-18-2018, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Key IMO, is what broker/agency you work for. Commission splits vary from agency to agency...what does the broker charge for office space, printing, etc., etc.

I was fortunate to finish my career with a company that provided benefits, 6% commission I did NOT have to split with our broker, furnished office and all that goes with it and NO charge to me. The company did all the advertising and believe me, it's all in the marketing with internet presence, media, etc.

This was land sales and the sales consultants did not have to list, just sell our inventory. We ALL were required to be TREC licensed as well...but the company even paid for our CE classes, renewals. We all had to have 4x4 vehicles, paid for our own gas, insurance, maintenance and that was fine.

There are many realtors who don't put the effort or time to make it work...seen a bunch over the years but there are also many who make a great living at it. Key again...find the Agency who is innovative, markets and does not take more of your commissions than you can live with. Visit and research them all...it's not that hard to find out who the "movers and shakers" are in your area.

Good luck...

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
              I’m a realtor in Austin I thoroughly enjoy it. It is something completely different every day from managing contractors on a repair to negotiating a sales price to lots of hours on the phone doing follow ups. It can take a while to build up a pipeline of business and as mentioned there are numerous expenses to be covered.

I’m a people-person and really enjoy working with others and helping people out. There are also times when you play the role of a therapist and listen to client’s life problems about divorce/money/family illness etc. It’s crucial to be in tune with what your client needs and if you don’t have the patience or will to care- it can/will be frustrating.

I’ve been successful in my first 16 months with over $3 million closed in year one and I certainly didn’t have $50k to throw at getting started. Although I have a long list of contacts from living my whole life here, I’m yet to do a deal with anybody I knew prior to entering the business. I generate business by hosting open houses, answering the phones at the office, and mailing real estate reports to a farm area. Hopefully soon my peers will be at the stage in their life to buy there first home- your warm circle is your biggest list of prospects.

I enjoy the motivation of being in control of how much money I make by being 100% commission based. Bust your rear and make it happen.
              I am def a people person. I have been told i can talk to a fence post and sell a glass of water to a drowning man. Luckily my wife has lots of family here that have already told me they will help pass my name along and refer me to as many people as they can. Although Austin is a much bigger market for real estate.

Comment

One years worth of income in the bank. First year money will be hard but after that income will start to flow hopefully.

Most realtors make 40k a year.

In 2009 I made 18k. That came down from 250k in 2006.
                Save for the hard years.

Comment

It’s either good or bad.

Comment

Sending you a PM give me a call if you want to talk

Comment

A good friend of mine there in Kerrville has a real estate company, Hood Realty.
                      He took it over from his father years ago.
                      I ask him about coming down there and selling ranches and stuff. He asked me if I was ready to starve to death for 3 years. I didn't try it!
                      Like Hawkpuppy said. Real estate appraisers are in short supply, in our area at least.It took forever to get our place appraised here. Might look into that aspect. Good luck with your search.

Comment

Anyone wanting a better deal, shoot me a PM and I'll let you know who this company is? All I can say is my income from year 1 was MUCH more than the previous comments are? But..you have to give up your weekends and have a WORTH ETHIC to succeed!

"Nothing comes without dedication..if you think otherwise, then follow the sheep until the Wolves wait to feast."

Comment

Originally posted by kumathebear View Post
                          Anyone wanting a better deal, shoot me a PM and I'll let you know who this company is? All I can say is my income from year 1 was MUCH more than the previous comments are? But..you have to give up your weekends and have a WORTH ETHIC to succeed!

"Nothing comes without dedication..if you think otherwise, then follow the sheep until the Wolves wait to feast."
                          I’m about to start myself. I’d be interested in knowing the company? I’m about to take my test.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
                            I'd thought about this idea as well, however, in Kerrville realtors are almost outnumbering the buyers/sellers these days. It's extremely competitive here. I had also looked in the home inspector/appraiser side of things. Appraisers are more in demand than inspectors it sounds like....
                            I was a realtor in kerrville, due to higher number of retired people and housewives kerrville is very competitive, the market is booming I would get with a builder and concentrate on new home sales
                            Kiss your summer weekends good bye winter is catch-up time

Comment

My daughter has been a realtor for three years. She enjoys the work and has been very successful. The broker she works with assigned her an experienced mentor to help her get started. I think that made a big difference in how quickly she became successful.

Comment

Working...
                              X