Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Processing at home (silver skin questions)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Processing at home (silver skin questions)

I do all my processing at home and I want to step up my game as far as really getting all the meat out of the cuts as I can.

My biggest question is when sectioning out the rear hind quarter and front shoulders I feel like I end up with giant pile of unusable trimmings due to breaking each muscle apart to get all the silver skin from in between the muscles.

Am i being too picky? I was told to cut out anything that wasn't deep rich red meat but some of the muscles I feel like I end up with half of what it started out as before I cut all the silver, fat, etc

*edit - i use all of the trimmings to make homemade dog food, so nothing is going to waste, but I want more meat for me and less for the dogs.
    Last edited by justin81; 12-12-2017, 07:31 PM.

If it’s something I’m cutting up for steaks I try to remove as much as possible. Meat being ground, just cut the thick parts off the ends and grind the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm not exceedingly picky on silver skin. The main thing is just getting the membrane off the meat. Other than that i only cut off obvious silver skin or fat that smells off. I don't think I've ever cut open a muscle to get the silver skin out.

Comment

I trim as much as I can also.

Comment

I trim as much as I can as well. I use a filet knife so it helps on just getting the silver skin and not as much of the meat. I grind up quite a bit so don't worry as much about it on my grinds but anything going to steaks ect all of it gets removed. We make dog food out of the trimmings too so nothing gets wasted.
          Last edited by bloodtrailer28; 12-12-2017, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Steaks and roast I get as much as possible what I grind I get the big stuff but no where near all of it.

Comment

For me it depends on how I cook it. If it’s a roast, it will all cook down. If steak, I cut them with the silver skin on, then trim around the edge with a fillet knife. I’ve stopped worrying about fat.

Comment

You are probably already getting rid of the lymph nodes. That seems to be the big taste killer some miss.

Sent from my SM-T377T using Tapatalk

Comment

The only silverskin I worry about is on the loins. The rest I leave alone. I've never noticed it when eating the steaks. I believe it's a matter of how important it is to you. For me, it would take too much time to get it all, but what's on the loins is worth taking the extra time.

Comment

Trim as much off as you can just try to stay out of meat as much as possible. If you try to grind it you will spend half your time cleaning sinew out of the blade of grinder.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
                      I trim as much as I can as well. I use a filet knife so it helps on just getting the silver skin and not as much of the meat.
                      Samesies.

Comment

I use a fillet knife on it and it does a good job but is time consuming

Comment

Trim off as much as possible. If it’s going on the meat for the grind like I just trim the thicker silver skin and run through my grinder with a small die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I trim off as much as I possibly can using a fillet knife even for grind.

Comment

I just cut the back straps out. There's plenty more deer to kill.

Comment

Working...
                              X