If you could change the TPWD hunting laws/regs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
    Many states have shorter rifle seasons and have no problem with Hunter recruitment. It makes no sense to restrict the harder of two hunting methods if the goal of the regs is to get as many deer to maturity as possible. A 60+ day gun season makes it hard on hunters really wanting to increase the age class on their land. A buck just doesn’t stand a chance in high hunter density with a 60 day gun season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I disagree, if you reduce rifle season to 2 weeks then more rifle hunters will adopt the if it's brown it's down attitude. If a hunter has 2 weeks instead of 2 months to hunt he has to get meat on the ground or eat tag soup. With a longer season the hunter can hold out longer for their target/mature buck instead of taking the largest legal buck they can shoot in their two weeks to hunt. On my lease there are 7 hunters. One has taken 2 bucks and one doe, another has taken 2 bucks and a third hunter has taken 2 does. Myself and three others have not taken a deer. I have a cull picked out to take this week and if my target comes out I will take him, but I am not rushed. You say that a buck doesn't stand a chance of reaching maturity with high density of rifle hunters hunting for 60 days, yet deer numbers are at an all time high and quality is better.

I have hunted 5 day and 7 day seasons in other states and there is always a rush to "get" an animal or eat tag soup. I have eaten tag soup more than once because I didn't find what I was after but the pressure is there.

The main point of my post was that hunters are wanting to restrict other hunters because the hunt differently. No different than bass fishermen wanting to outlaw live bait because they think is not as challenging as using artificial.

Comment

For private land, Deer season starts when bow season starts. And by that I mean any means necessary. Bow, rifle, crossbow, muzzleloader. Doe season goes all season. Why does it matter if I shoot for the first day or the last? Now if it’s public land then have the restrictions we have now. And in the tpwd book have two different sections for private and public land so it won’t be confusing. I think the ones saying crossbows and newer muzzleloaders shouldn’t be allowed is ridiculous. Who cares how a deer is killed it’s just as dead either way. I like the doe season because it lets us meat hunters get our meat. Yes I like to shoot a buck as well but in the end I can’t eat the horns. So the 13 inch rule I don’t mind. But I have seen some older bucks that need to be in a skillet because there’s younger and better bucks than them. If it gets my blood pumping then I’m shooting.figure out a way to have the state provide spike tags after you use the one off your license so you can still shoot a trophy deer if you see one. Not yearling spikes but if it’s pst his second set of antlers he outta be better than a spike period. Keep dove season continuous through the winter season. And start it on September 1st statewide. Don’t have a one week split in duck season. But the way it’s setup doesn’t bother me too much as it is. I get my meat during the doe season.

Comment

Would the people that want to change daily bag limits to year long or extend seasons be ok with a reduction in the number of tags they receive?

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
          since we are all complaining about things we don't like, can I make a motion. I move to make it illegal to mention genetics when talking about anything other than a breeding operation when it comes to deer. 😁😁😁😁
          Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
            One more month to hunt duck.
            I remember a Justin Wilson joke about one more month to hunt duck.
            So what are you going to name it?

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
              Heck, atlatls aren’t legal...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              I know. But that would be an actual primitive weapon. Not a compound bow or inline muzzleloader.

Comment

Funny how the OP asks, what would YOU change and then others want to argue about what YOU would change. SMH.

Comment

There’s no reason we should have to keep and eat nasty ducks after shooting them. Eliminate the wasted game sections for ducks!

Comment

It'd be nice if they went back to having deer season and duck season open on separate weekends.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                      Funny how the OP asks, what would YOU change and then others want to argue about what YOU would change. SMH.

I don’t think the OP asked for complaints from the peanut gallery either.[emoji13][emoji23]

Comment

Originally posted by toledo View Post
                        Our season dates are good but have some later doe days in the AR counties. I hate messing with cleaning does in Oct when it's 80 degrees. Thanksgiving weekend is the peak of our rut so I'm looking for a big one those few days and not messing with does. Every year, we end up past the doe days and have not killed the numbers of does that need to be taken out.

As part of that make the spike tag a doe/spike tag. Tons of spikes get zapped every Dec for no other reason than meat and the fact that does are off limits.
                        X2

Comment

Make squirrel season year round in the E.Texas counties...it ain't like we don't have very many of these little varmits anyway.

Comment

Last edited by Etxnoodler; 12-27-2017, 10:41 AM.

Comment

I will probably get killed for this one but maybe change the 13 inch rule to 15 inches.

Move our Duck season back a month.

Probably change the trout limit to 5 across the whole coast.

Take crossbows out of archery season
                              Last edited by npe001; 12-27-2017, 10:48 AM.

Comment

I would also outlaw trail cameras so I could eliminate 85% of the butthurt about "my" deer getting shot.

note: this includes my own personal butthurt over pinche neighbors killing my deer

Comment

Working...
                                X