No announcement yet.

East Texas Turkey "Super Stocking"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I shot this over Thanksgiving weekend at our place in Anderson County. They played around the feeder and the food plot for close to an hour. They were fun to watch when the toms were strutting! Then they just lined up and walked right past my stand.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k4_AppoF2s"]Gobblers - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

I think this is awesome and wish it could happen where I hunt. We're allowed one Spring Turkey and have a small scattered population. I see one on the rare occasion.

My only thought is they should declare WAR on every single varmint and predator in the area to give these birds a fighting chance to survive.

Comment

On our ranch out west, our biggest problem for turkeys is predators destroying their nests... coons are the worst, followed closely by skunks, then foxes, and yotes... few cats, but coons destroy more nests than all others put together. We took out a lot of coons this year, so I'm hoping that helps our hatch this spring. That would have to be a problem in East Texas too. Probably possums would be an issue too.

Comment

I heard they were going to cut The Moore Plantation back for turkey habitat and "super stock" it, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
            Wish they would put some at Old Sabine Wildlife Area!
            Be nice, but too flood prone during nesting season....year around for that matter. Never make it

Comment

Originally posted by CityLimitSlayr View Post
              Why cant we organize a Gus Engling Varmint hunt to try and help out?!
              They don't even let you shoot yotes on the draw hunts.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockValue View Post
                Of all the TPW draw hunts i have been on, around 15, they never let us shoot any predators! Yotes and bobcats

Comment

Originally posted by MTaylor View Post
                  Its not fire ants or predators that are the problem, they have both in Louisiana, Georgia, Mississippi, Florida, and other southern states and Eastern Turkeys are doing great. It is habitat, and specifically brood habitat. What is different about these stockings are they are based on the superstocking method and not the traditional block stocking method used in the past. Turkeys are doing okay in East Texas where the habitat is good. I know folks that kill Easterns in Texas every year. This stocking method is based on the research study that Jason Isabelle did at SFA a couple of years back. I hope it works and turkeys rebound in East Texas!

Winner, Winner!
                  Sure, predation takes a toll, but habitat is the number 1 key.

Comment

Finally saw a good group of turkeys on my trailcam in Fayette County last week. 1st turkey sighting for me in 15yrs out there!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockValue View Post
                      they did this year. dogs cats and coons.

Comment

Low Fence, I can vouch for it being wet in that area!!!

Comment

That's only 10 mikes or so from our farm! Man how cool would it be to have wild turkeys running around again??

I just hope the local yocals don't kill them all before they can take ahold.

Comment

Sweet!!! Gus Engeling is only a couple of miles from our place.

Comment

There are a few birds here and I'm tickled to see the restocking continuing. I've been hunting them here for 7 years now and have been successful. 5 out of 7. There's nothing in the world like calling in a bird in the pines!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                                On our ranch out west, our biggest problem for turkeys is predators destroying their nests... coons are the worst, followed closely by skunks, then foxes, and yotes... few cats, but coons destroy more nests than all others put together. We took out a lot of coons this year, so I'm hoping that helps our hatch this spring. That would have to be a problem in East Texas too. Probably possums would be an issue too.
                                Roadrunners as well. I shoot every one of them I see.

Comment

Working...
                                X