No announcement yet.

I want to get into Trad.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're fixing to find out what real archery is all about. Hint, you won't be near as good with a trad as one with training wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
      You're fixing to find out what real archery is all about. Hint, you won't be near as good with a trad as one with training wheels.
      That all depends on your definition of "good"!

Bisch (at the archery shop)

Comment

Welcome, get ready for the best hunting you can have! Nothing like sitting with a traditional bow.

Comment

I have 2 excellent bows in the classifieds

one is 52" 47# and the 58" 54#
          Last edited by BowBuddy; 12-04-2012, 04:45 PM. Reason: oops

Comment

Be sure to start with a light draw. I started with 45#, which most would agree is kind of light, but I wish I would've started with 35-40 lbs. It's not so much that you won't be strong enough to draw a certain weight. It's being able to draw the weight many times repeatedly during practice sessions before fatigue sets in. Once fatigue sets in, you risk developing bad form and bad habits which can be hard to fix later on. With trad, good form is very important, and to get good form, you need to learn it and practice it. Easier to learn, practice and maintain good form on a light bow than a heavy one, especially when starting out.

Either way, welcome to trad and good luck!

Comment

I shoot a glove, two fingers under with index finger in corner of my mouth. I've tried several different ways to place my fingers on the string and this works best for me. I tried tabs but never really liked them, do what works for you, good luck and have fun!

Comment

Most newbies once they get good at shooting with traditional bows and harvest a deer with a longbow or recurve never go back to a compound.

Why? The challenge. Also its so simple, no sights to worry about or all the other stuff that is added to a compound. If you drop your longbow or recurve nothing gets out of adjustment as compared if you drop your compound.

I learned to make my own recurve and longbows, own strings, and my own arrows. Nothing like harvesting a deer with equipment you made by hand. Such a satisfying experience.

Comment

Working...
                X