The Life of Shinbone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Life of Shinbone

Had pictures of this buck in velvet last year, and started calling him "scar" cuz of a long scar across his ribcage. Passed him two different times during the season, to let him get another year under his belt, and I was chasing a bigger one (betcha aint heard that one b4 ) Anyway, saw him a couple of more times during the deason chsin does,and whatnot. Lost him about the start of Dec., until around Christmas. He then started showing up on my "keep the hogs out of my huntin area/picture takin feeder". He showed up with a wound on his back right leg from his knee to his ankle. He had RIPPED the skin/tissue off, and it exposed his "shinbone". The toughness of these whitetail deer never ceases to amaze me! I had several pictures of him from mid Dec. till I pulled the cameras at the end of March. He kinda looked poor towards the end of season, I'm sure mostly from rutting, but also I wondered if the exposed shinbone and surrounding tissue might be infected. Fast forward to this Aug./Sept 2015, and I got a picture of him at the hog feeder. If you will notice in the pics, his back right leg has a "club" appearance to it, and in one of the broadside pics, if you'll notice, you can see a blackened callous/scar. Don't know if I can pass him this year Most all my deer are slick typicals, so I'm pumped about the micro split on his rt. g3, and yes he does barely split at the end of his left main beam. God Bless, Rusty
    Attached Files

Those first pics were last years, these are this years. Don't know what I did while "re-sizing" that first pic. Consider the operator!!
    Attached Files

Comment

Oh, he's the bigger one in this years pics The one I was chasin last year is still around too, aint seen him as of yet...God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Yes sir, they are very tough critters. Good luck!!!

Comment

Tough is an understatement

Tell me about that contraption on the left that looks like it is loaded with mineral blocks

Comment

He is looking good this year!

Good luck hunting him.

Bisch

Comment

BT, that's a "gravity fed" block feeder I made awhile back. It will hold two of the big blocks, and slips over a t-post. Have an additional t-post driven in, and wired to it for it to be more sturdy with the two blocks in it. Made a couple like that cuz blocks on the ground=pigs, as y'all well know Thanks Bisch, cant say I'll shoot em till I see him in the flesh. Was after one last year that I "knew" I would shoot, then I had him at bout 12 yds, and changed my mind Wasn't as old as I thought. He oughtta be 4 1/2 this year, and "Shinbone" is as well. God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Working...
              X