Flu flu recommendation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flu flu recommendation.

Hey guys, im fixing to fletch some arrows with flu flu's to shoot at doves.
    Should I go 3 or 4 fletch? 6 is a little too much for me.
    Opinions?

As little as possible! I went back to regular feathers for dove because they are too darn fast!

Bisch

Comment

Regular arrows?
      Do you find them after you shoot?

Comment

I use 4 feathers. Going in about an hour. Bringing the gopro. Let you know if I hit any.

Comment

1 or 2 feathers spiral fletch is my preference. Little john did some 1 feather spirals that I would think would be better for dove.

Comment

Single spiral fletch is the way to go IMHO.

Comment

With the big snaro points, or the homemade bird points I have, I have not had problems finding my arrows.

I just could not lead a dove far enough to get close to it with fluflus on the arrow.

Bisch

Comment

Use 3X5" tall shield cut on a 4" spiral. They work great.

They don't slow down much at dove distance shots, and they work good for that, but do slow down a lot after about 30 yards, which is plenty soon enough to keep from losing them.

Another plus to them is, that spiral fletching makes the fletch end of the shaft bounce up when they hit the ground, so they seldom dig in to hide from you.

Rick

Comment

Here's a picture of the 3X5" on a 4" spiral. Believe me, they work great.

Rick
                  Attached Files

Comment

Those look good too Rick. I have some ready to make but just need to get out there and glue them up.

Comment

Rick, you care to enlighten us on how to fletch them like that?

Bisch

Comment

Jerry, you have to do it all by hand.

I just start the leading edge of the feather on a mark at the front of where I want them, and then try to evenly spiral them to a mark 4" toward the rear from the front mark.

I use gorilla glue, and only glue down the front & rear at first. Then I even out the spiral, and run a little glue along the entire length of the fletch down one side. Then I space over & do the next, and then the next.

You can use other glues like goattuff or duco, but I found the super glue made it easier for me to do.

Rick

Comment

Thanks, Rick! Those look cool!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
                            Here's a picture of the 3X5" on a 4" spiral. Believe me, they work great.

Rick
                            That looks cool, but also looks like a pain in the arse.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyb_23 View Post
                              looks like a pain in the arse.
                              That it sure can be.

The trick is:

1: using a glue that will stick it quick & tight. Do that, and they will wrap on quite easily.

2: use feathers that have had the quill ground down very thin making them very flexible. The more flexible they are, the easier they wrap, and the easier they stick.

Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X