Jungle Disk Online Backup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jungle Disk Online Backup

I was looking for a backup solution for our accounting system. I wanted automatic off-site backups so that even if the building burned down, I would still have the accounting data. I checked out a few and went with Jungle Disk. It works great and it's just the ticket for backing up digital photos as well.

A few things I like about it...

It automatically works in the background. You tell it when and how often to back up. Set it and forget it.

Backs up only the folders you choose.

Also restores only the folders you choose. (You may only lose a few files, so why restore them all?)

You pay only $2.00 per month plus a small fee for the data actually backed up. 15 cents per GB stored. 10 cents per GB uploaded (backed up) and 17 cents per GB downloaded (restored). (Transfers only new and changed files after initial backup.)

All files are encrypted and you choose your own key. (Warning: Even they can not retrieve your files if you loose the key.)

One off-site storage disk, one billing, one password, one encryption key for as many computers as you want to use it on. I will probably end up backing up several work computers and home computers on the same account.

No limit on the amount of data you backup, store or restore.

You can access your backed up data from any computer, not just the one you backed up. Of course, you would need your password and encryption key.

You can limit the amount of bandwidth it uses so that you can still surf TBH while it's backing up.

It took almost two days to initially backup the data from my work computer. After the first time, since it's only backing up the changed and new files, it only takes about five minutes, depending, of course, on how many new files I've created or added. I have it backup during my lunch break.

Yes, I have tested the restore feature. Any backup software or system is only as good as it's restore ability. And one of the reasons I didn't go with some of the other companies is the bad reviews about the restore process. I didn't want it to take another two days, so just restored one folder as a test. It worked great; no issues whatsoever.

I think this will give me a lot of peace of mind. Just wanted to share in case anyone is looking for a similar solution.

Here's the link: Jungle Disk

Thanks for sharing. I've been looking for something like this. Do you prepay for a year?

Comment

It's billed monthly. I have it auto-drafting on a company credit card. I can't remember if that was the only option or just the option I chose. I just got this thing fired up last week, so I haven't experienced a billing cycle yet.

Comment

cool - thanks for the link and the research.

I thought I had the whole day off, then I got an error message on my laptop this morning.

"Operating system not found"

I'll be backing up today.

Comment

A healthy bandwidth is key!. To say that this service is not dial-up friendly would be an enormous understatement! Even on T1, the initial backup at work took almost two days. At home, I'm on 1 Mbs cable and I'm on my second day of a four-day initial backup. That includes all my digital photos. But once that initial one is done, the rest should be painless.

Comment

Cool info, David. I've been thinking about finding such a service to store RAW files and final edits. Thanks for the review and information.

Comment

man, this thing rocks.

day three (one more to go) and I'm almost finished at 1000 kbps (with an aircard)

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                Cool info, David. I've been thinking about finding such a service to store RAW files and final edits. Thanks for the review and information.

I am not sure that it is entirely necessary to backup the edits, unless you do heavy processing. I'm thinking RAW files only and maybe the edited, printable jpegs. I can recreate the edits, to some degree, as long as I have the original negative (RAW file).

Just thinking out loud here. I see me doing this soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                  man, this thing rocks.

day three (one more to go) and I'm almost finished at 1000 kbps (with an aircard)
                  Glad you like it. I will hopefully have that kind of upload speed after Wednesday when I switch to U-Verse. Right now, I have fast enough downloads but I'm maxing out at 490 kbps upload speed at home. I usually start my Flickr uploads right before I go to bed because it takes so long.
                  Last edited by Snakelover; 05-16-2009, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X