Feedback on Nikon D810

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feedback on Nikon D810

I have been shooting the D700 Full Frame body for several years and am thinking about upgrading to the D810.
    I am looking for some feedback from any of my fellow TBH'ers that are currently shooting it. I would add that all of my lenses are high quality glass.
    I want the good, the bad, and the ugly.
    Thanks in advance for your feeback.

I have one and wouldn't give it up for anything...I absolutely love it. Really depends on what you shoot and how you are going to use it. For long exposure, landscape, portrait, travel photography it is amazing and the images are stunning. I found my Sigma 35mm art lens lives on the camera 75% of the time and the resolution is phenomenal.

For general wildlife photography it is excellent as you can start with a 36MP file and crop significantly if needed to gain reach. For fast moving birds or BIF 6 frames per second is nothing to sneeze at but there are faster options.

As for high ISO performance, the D750/DF/D4s/D5 are better performers due to lower MP and larger pixel density but I wouldn't hesitate to shoot up to 3200/6400 ISO with the 810. Higher ISO plus heavy cropping can increase the noise significantly. If I am shooting waterfowl or duck hunting/retrievers before sun up with high shutter speeds and 10,000+ ISO I rent the D4S. The other 90% of the time D810 is far superior and the best camera Nikon makes in my opinion.

Image size/file size can be a double edged sword...it is a luxury to have that kind of resolution but it comes at a price. File sizes can be quite large...a full raw converted to JPEG out of Lightroom can be 30-40MB. Makes it a pain to email photos to friends as most conventional mailboxes have size restrictions. That is really the only downside.

Comment

Originally posted by Closetohome View Post
      I have one and wouldn't give it up for anything...I absolutely love it. Really depends on what you shoot and how you are going to use it. For long exposure, landscape, portrait, travel photography it is amazing and the images are stunning. I found my Sigma 35mm art lens lives on the camera 75% of the time and the resolution is phenomenal.

For general wildlife photography it is excellent as you can start with a 36MP file and crop significantly if needed to gain reach. For fast moving birds or BIF 6 frames per second is nothing to sneeze at but there are faster options.

As for high ISO performance, the D750/DF/D4s/D5 are better performers due to lower MP and larger pixel density but I wouldn't hesitate to shoot up to 3200/6400 ISO with the 810. Higher ISO plus heavy cropping can increase the noise significantly. If I am shooting waterfowl or duck hunting/retrievers before sun up with high shutter speeds and 10,000+ ISO I rent the D4S. The other 90% of the time D810 is far superior and the best camera Nikon makes in my opinion.

Image size/file size can be a double edged sword...it is a luxury to have that kind of resolution but it comes at a price. File sizes can be quite large...a full raw converted to JPEG out of Lightroom can be 30-40MB. Makes it a pain to email photos to friends as most conventional mailboxes have size restrictions. That is really the only downside.
      Great information, thanks for sharing it. I primarily shoot wildlife, landscape and general outdoor photography. While I do shoot some low-light stuff, I don't think I would have an issue in that area but I plan on keeping my D700 anyway so I would just have to see.

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
        Great information, thanks for sharing it. I primarily shoot wildlife, landscape and general outdoor photography. While I do shoot some low-light stuff, I don't think I would have an issue in that area but I plan on keeping my D700 anyway so I would just have to see.
        I think coming from the D700 you will be blown away...and the D700 is a great camera. The sensor on the D810 really is almost magical.

The Sigma art lenses, Tamron 15-30, and Rokinon 12mm fisheye have been amazing on it. Nikon 70-200 2.8 and the 300 f4 with 1.4x and 1.7x converters have been great as well.

Sigma 50mm Art and Zeiss 135 f2 on the D810 redefined my perception of sharpness for photography...they resolve every single MP and details have details in photos.

Comment

Here is very in-depth review on the D810.

It covers just about every aspect of the camera in detail.

I hope you find it helpful Scott.

Comment

Originally posted by TUCO View Post
            Here is very in-depth review on the D810.

It covers just about every aspect of the camera in detail.

I hope you find it helpful Scott.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d810.htm
            Thanks Tuco!

Comment

My current lenses I shoot are:
              Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR
              Nikon 35-70 f2.8
              Nikon 16-35 f4 VR
              Tamron 150-600 F5-6.3 VC
              Nikon TC17E II

I think the D810 would play well with that stable of lenses.

Comment

Thanks Tuco!
                You Betcha!

My current lenses I shoot are:
                Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR
                Nikon 35-70 f2.8
                Nikon 16-35 f4 VR
                Tamron 150-600 F5-6.3 VC
                Nikon TC17E II

I think the D810 would play well with that stable of lenses.
                Sounds like you might have already made up your mind.

I bet if you decide to pull the trigger, you will be glad you did.

Comment

Originally posted by TUCO View Post
                  You Betcha!

Sounds like you might have already made up your mind.

I bet if you decide to pull the trigger, you will be glad you did.
                  Not completely made up yet but almost there! I have really loved my D700 but can see where the D810 is light years ahead of even it. I wonder, since it has been out for some time now, if Nikon will be replacing the D810 anytime soon? I usually don't buy the newest camera right when it comes out but I also hate to chunk down 3 grand and then have its replacement come out soon after...

Comment

Not completely made up yet but almost there! I have really loved my D700 but can see where the D810 is light years ahead of even it. I wonder, since it has been out for some time now, if Nikon will be replacing the D810 anytime soon? I usually don't buy the newest camera right when it comes out but I also hate to chunk down 3 grand and then have its replacement come out soon after...
                    There have been rumors and speculation of an upgraded D820 type model but I think it is still a ways away. Realistically there isn't much to upgrade that would move the needle for me. They kept the 36MP sensor size going from the D800 to D810 so only place to go with sensor from here is bigger to match the Canon 5D's 50MP or Sony's A7II 42MP. I've seen output from both and struggle to wonder what I would do with even larger files. I have a 30"x60" picture from the D810 blown up on a sheet of aluminum in my living room that is amazing...you can walk right up to it and see no distortion or pixelation.

Looking at the new $6500 D5 Nikon introduced I think the only technology they could adopt would be the more robust 199 point autofocus and the Expeed5 prosessor which might get you another stop or two of high ISO improvement. If you need to print images routinely the size of billboards, take pictures at 25,600-51,200ISO, or autofocus at light speed then I would wait for an upgrade.

Realistically, I could have picked up a used/refurbished D800e, saved $1500 and been just as happy. It really is an amazing camera.
                    Last edited by Closetohome; 03-23-2016, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Good points and I agree with you.

Comment

Working...
                      X