Tuning question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuning question

Over the last couple of weeks I have been turning my poundage up a half turn every other day or so as my shoulder continues to heal and get strong. Now that I'm back up to 70 I have noticed my arrows hitting more at more of a a side angle but only out at 25 yards and beyond. I'm getting real tight groups out to 20 and I consider that my range limit anyway. Should I mess with it? I have not paper tuned this bow or any of that fancy stuff.

Could be just the arrow following the path of least resistance in the target. If it was tuned at 70#'s and you turned it down and did not do anything to change the set up except the weight, then turning it back up to 70 should be good to go. Or it could be the tune. Depends on what you did at the lower weight.

Comment

I bought the bow, turned it down then "tuned" and sighted it. Was really god at all distances until I started turning it back up.

Comment

What arrow are you shooting? Spine, length, and tip wt? Possibly you don't have a stiff enough arrow now that you've cranked it up to 70.

Comment

Spine problem more than likely. Try bumping your rest a smidgen and see what your results are.

Since I don't know what angle or what handed shooter you are I'll assume your spine is softer than what your bow likes. Try bumping your rest towards your riser a little.
          Last edited by 12RingKing; 10-23-2012, 05:02 PM.

Comment

I'm right handed. They are hitting with the fletching pointing a bit to the left. Not really off line, just going in at an angle. It's not really noticeable at all at 20 yards or less. Arrows are Carbon Express hot rod from Academy that just say 60/70 on them, 29" and Redhead Carbon Fury 4560 also 29". 100gr point. Insert unknown.

Comment

You are shooitng 2 different spined arrows. One for 60/70 and one for 45/60. Get to a pro shop and have them measure what length arrows you need and then go with what they recommend, and always remember, stiffer is better!

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                You are shooitng 2 different spined arrows. One for 60/70 and one for 45/60. Get to a pro shop and have them measure what length arrows you need and then go with what they recommend, and always remember, stiffer is better!
                Ugh, embarrassing. I kind of realized it when I typed it

Comment

No need to be embarrased, it happens to most of us at one time or another.

Comment

Any cross wind?

Comment

It would definately help your cause to use the same spine arrow while tuning! lol

You can go way overboard with this, of course, it's not completely necessary, but I'm a little bit **** when it comes to it so I tend to try to perfect my setup.

What bow? poundage? DL? Are they measured specs or assumed specs?

I hate using poundage ranges when setting up proper arrows for my setup. I like to use the static spine ratings and go from there.

Comment

Defiantly an arrow spine issue. The 4560's are just too weak for your arrow length/draw weight combination.

The best way to tune a bow is with an unfletched arrow. I shoot a fletched arrow and then an unfletched arrow and adjust the rest trying to get them to hit in the same spot. You have to be very careful. If your form is off just a little, it will throw off the unfletched arrow a lot. Move the rest toward the fletched arrow. If the unfletched arrow hits high, move the rest down, etc. I usually start at about 15 yards then move out to 20-25 yards. It depends on how well you can shoot and what you can trust yourself to be able to do.

Good luck with your tuning. If you need guidance, just ask.
                        Edward

Comment

From my experience......if you're going to hunt with it and shoot broadheads. Just tune your FP's and Broadheads to hit same POI after you've figured out the correct spine you should be shooting.

That's my .02.

If you paper tune it chances are you'll have to bump the rest slightly to make the BH's and FP's hit same POI anyways. Just my experience.

Comment

Working...
                          X