No announcement yet.

Naming deer....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We only name the good ones and it is just so when we are discussing them we all know who we are talking about.

-john

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
      I'd call it that to keep it simple. Then the next deer I saw would be the big deer after it died. I wouldn't worry about Frank,Bill,Bob,Tommy,Jose and Chow Ling.

It's really quite simple...

We have a high deer population on 2400 acres. We name our better deer with potential or new good deer solely for distinction and ease of communication on our lease with our members. It helps us keep up with them through the years as they age and makes it much easier to distinguish and talk to each other about them.

If not for naming, it would be:

What did you see today?

Oh I saw the 8 with two kickers, the other 8 with two kickers and a black spot on his ***, and an 8 with two kickers but the one with it on his G3 not the G2 like the other...plus I saw the wide ten and then the other wide 10 but not the wide ten with the scar on his back...an 6 doe...

You mean the big 8 with two kickers I saw last week running that doe?

Sorry Earl I don't know which one you saw.

You know the 8 with two kickers and a double throat patch....the big one.

Hell I saw three 8s with kickers this am Earl. i have no idea which one you are talking about.

What did you see?

Earl I saw an 8 with a single kicker, a tall eight, the other tall 8 but not the tall 8 you saw last week and a wide 10...but not the real wide 10...just a wide 10..

Instead with names its ...I saw (names made up for illustration) Romo, Aikman, Splitter and Titos....later on Hangdown, Straight up and Wideload.

Cool...I saw Double Splits, Mule Fork and Tall Brows....

Cool... sounds like a good hunt.

Yup..you too..

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
        Where and how did this all start and why? I heard my buddies naming off names and I felt left out because I didn't know what they were talking about. Turns out it was deer from pictures off of a trail camera. It all sounds confusing. Why not just go with the biggest one you plan on killin and call him "The big buck" or something?

I've also heard one of my buddies say "Yeah this deer is bigger but I don't want to shoot him. I don't have any history with him.".....Did the other one used to come over and play cards and eat dinner at your house or what? I have a good name for the other one.....Truck Smasher. Because that's probably what he's gonna do if you don't shoot him and eat him.

I can't say I've ever shot anything with a name other than what they're known as by everyone. But then again I guess I never asked what their name was before hand. Which would probably only work with a Parrot.

On a side note...the comedy....is failing.

Just a heads up..

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
          Easy way to track a specific deer year after year. I've been doing it over 20 years, I'll say though when we were young the deer were never named.??
          we didn't name them 20-30 years ago, because they were always killed at the first meeting.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
            we didn't name them 20-30 years ago, because they were always killed at the first meeting.
            Ok you just made me bust out. That's an absolutely true statement!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Hell we named deer when I was in high school at my buddies 4 acre place we hunted near Tarpley, Texas. Circa 1985-1992

"The Big 9"
              "The Big 8"

"Tripod" the three legged deer

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                Hell we named deer when I was in high school at my buddies 4 acre place we hunted near Tarpley, Texas. Circa 1985-1992

"The Big 9"
                "The Big 8"

"Tripod" the three legged deer

AKA the dead Big 8, dead Big 9, and missed a deer but found a leg deer

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                  AKA the dead Big 8, dead Big 9, and missed a deer but found a leg deer

Hahaha....pretty much on that acreage. He actually still had it, hoof and all, but it was a baby arm..

We were in the middle of 50,000 acres of nothing but Hill Country on a dammed up creek that created 4-5 mini lakes and this small piece of property was by one of the dams. Nice productive funnel place for 3 HSers to cut their teeth on bowhunting..

Comment

I think I'm gonna name him Bill, or George. Anything but Sue!

Comment

All our deer have names and they're on 2 lists... "Pass" "Shoot"... When you have a management program, it is important to know "who" you are managing and when it is or is not their time...

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                        I think I'm gonna name him Bill, or George. Anything but Sue!
                        Dangit! You jus' made me spit coffee all over my screen!! Wuddn't 'spectin' that! But it was good!

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                          On a side note...the comedy....is failing.

Just a heads up..
                          No! I laughed out loud.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                            No! I laughed out loud.

Yes...

Comment

I name pigs.

Comment

Just curious on y’all that name deer....do their names ever change? Like if ole Mule Head has a rough summer and looks like a Ken doll come season. Would y’all change his name? Asking for a friend.

Skinny

Comment

Working...
                                X