Questions about gear for hunting out west

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about gear for hunting out west

I want to plan a hunt out west in the next year or two. And I dont want to spend a bunch of money on gear that isn't needed.
    The two items I am not sure of are GPS & a spotting scope. Am I understanding correctly that my smart phone with OnX maps could be used in place of GPS? Is it equally effective?

For spotters I've read that if you aren't willing to spend above a grand, it doesn't much matter what you buy because nothing below that price point is very good. I even read if you aren't paying for a top end scope you might as well not even buy one at all. It would just be extra weight to carry for something that wont be very useful.

I would appreciate some insight on these two items. Thanks.

People been killin' out west for a long time without all of these nice optics and such.That being said, these things can certainly help you, but are they needed? No.

You can download an area on your OnX and once it's downloaded, you don't need any data to operate the functions.

Comment

Can't speak for spotters but yes OnX is better than a handheld and way cheaper. You have a big touch screen and one less thing to keep up with. You don't need phone signal. It works off satellites.

Comment

OnX on phone was way better than the chip on my Rino 650. I also had a solar charger and Poseidon Dark Energy battery pack to top the battery off every night.

I also found a spotting scope to be less useful especially for the weight penalty than good binos on a tripod adapter. Being able to use both eyes was better for me. If I had to buy spotting scope again I would also consider getting a smaller objective lens than 85mm.

Bottom line unless you are looking to count tines across the valley, you don't need a spotting scope to spot the animals.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm not that experienced so FWIW. I used OnX on the phone as well as a chip in the GPS for backup. 100% just used the phone even though had some bugs it kept trying to load maps over data even though I had them downloaded, bug probably been fixed now. Had a sporting scope and toted it out day 1, it stayed in the truck rest of the trip.

Comment

My best tip is to really think about what you need instead of what you want. You'll only be able to carry so much. Weight adds up quickly.

Comment

What do you plan to hunt "out west"
              your conditions will vary from desert to high mountains, from open plains to broken canyon country and everything in between.
              A spotting scope is nice to have not for finding game but for judging it at distance. A spotting scope is only as good as the tripod it is mounted to

Comment

I use my phone with onX. I also have a GPS for backup. I like the replaceable batteries in the GPS.

Comment

Originally posted by Paycheck View Post
                  I use my phone with onX. I also have a GPS for backup. I like the replaceable batteries in the GPS.
                  This is what I do. I will say if you're using your phone with OnX be sure to download as many maps as possible. Went to Missouri and my first trailhead, as well as my backup, could not be used. Ended up parking and hiking in from an area I did not have maps saved and had extremely spotty service.

Comment

What do you plan to hunt?

Comment

Used onX this September and it worked flawlessly , as far as a spotter eh I brought one and left it in the truck . Get some nice bino’s and call it good .

Comment

If you are talking Big Bend stuff you need to be way more concerned with clothing. Grease woods with added cactus fields will tear you to shreds. Brush pants and jacket are a must with full leather hiking boots.....

Comment

Did my first backpack hunt last year. Brought my vortex spotter because that’s what all the cool kids on YouTube do.

Almost left it, and several other items in the woods because of the weight. I hardly used it.

And now, looking back, unless you are trouphy hunting for a specific size bull, you don’t need it. Im still in a place where I’m going after any decent bull I see. There No need for me to bust out a spotter to verify if he’s worth pursuing. If he’s bigger than a spike, in going to go check him out.

I carry 12x50s Bono’s to give me a little longer range, and next year the spotter is staying home.

Comment

Onx is best money ever spent. Ad far as spotting scope I think it depends on the animals you are going to want to hunt. If you are hunting elk I dont pull the spotting scope out at all during archery then I will use it quite a bit during rifle season. I will use it alot during mule deer season whether it be archery or rifle.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I would say no you don’t need a spotting scope. A good pair of binoculars, yes. 10x42 would be my suggestion. I would how ever get a “ cheaper” hand held gps. We use our phones for the most part, but have had many bugs with them( not working, wrong directions, glitches in the system) And many ruined due to rain and snow. The hand held gps are much better when it’s wet out, plus we have not had the issues with them that we have with our phones. And you really want a back up, if your in country you may not get out of easily. If your not going to use it again they are pretty easy to sell, with out losing to much money, if you sell it when you get back.
                              Last edited by critter69; 12-09-2018, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X