Wife put my custom knife in the dishwasher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wife put my custom knife in the dishwasher

Well we had some friends over on Friday night, and I guess we had too much to drink, because my wife put my custom kitchen knife in the dishwasher. It was someone on TBH, but for the life of me I can't remember who at the moment. Norvell maybe?

The blade is rusted all over and the handle is rough as can be. I hit both with a little 0000 steel wool and then applied some olive oil and let it sit. Is there anything else I need to do?

Ouch! You’re on the right track. Steel wool and oil can take care of the rust.

I’d use teak oil on the handle, multiple coats, letting it dry a little on between.

Watch for separation between the blade and handle.

Dishwasher is ultimate hell on a knife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Trade off wife?

Comment

Originally posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
        Trade off wife?
        Way too good of a sandwich-maker.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
          Way too good of a sandwich-maker.

Sounds like she’s trying to tell you she doesn’t want to do dishes[emoji23].

It worked for me on the laundry when I washed towels with my wife’s bras and panties. Hot water, towel setting and high heat for drying.

Haven’t had to laundry since.

Comment

Bump

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post

It worked for me on the laundry when I washed towels with my wife’s bras and panties. Hot water, towel setting and high heat for drying.

Bet you paid for it in buying new clothes thou

Comment

I have experienced similar sir My specific situation cost me the knife! Hopefully you have better luck

Comment

dont use olive oil. It will go rancid. Show some pictures of the blade

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                    dont use olive oil. It will go rancid. Show some pictures of the blade
                    ???

I have used olive oil on my custom kitchen knives for at least 5 years. Not a heavy coat mind you, just a couple drops on a paper towel rubbed across the blade after it's been hand washed and dried. Never once has it gone rancid.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post

Ha! Same boat here. I tend to just chunk it all in together. No bueno as far as she is concerned.

Comment

Get a new wife!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=jdunn6092;13505218]Get a new wife!!!

It would be less expensive to get a new knife, much less hassle as well.

Comment

Can you pm me a picture of it?

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                              ???

I have used olive oil on my custom kitchen knives for at least 5 years. Not a heavy coat mind you, just a couple drops on a paper towel rubbed across the blade after it's been hand washed and dried. Never once has it gone rancid.
                              Thin coat over the blade on a knife that is used not a big deal. Use it on a customer knife that is a wall hanger and it will go rancid. Also not good for the wood.

Honestly olive oil would not be my choice for the blade either on a knife i use either.

You may have heard by now that the olive oil in your kitchen cupboard may be an impostor. After a 2010 report found that 69 percent of imported olive oil in the…

"Rancidity, for example, isn’t generally a sought after quality in edible products. And yet, when it comes to olive oil in the U.S., people like it. Why? Partly, because rancid olive oil is less bitter6 than the good stuff. But also, likely because it’s what many of us know and grew up with. It’s what we think olive oil is supposed to taste like."

Comment

Working...
                              X