Winch Up Feeder Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winch Up Feeder Build

I recently bought a little welder, and started teaching myself how to weld. My welds are not great, but I am now comfortable with actually making something useful. I thought a nice heavy duty winch up feeder tripod would be a good place to start.

I don't quite have it completed yet, but I figured I would post pictures and information about the build as I go along. I will have the first set of pictures and information posted shortly.

I started out with 2x 6' sections of 1.5" 11ga steel tubing. I cut them to the following sizes:

A. 3x 12" with a 20deg angle on one end for the leg attachments. The legs will slide into these sections.

B. 3x 11" with ~55deg angles on both ends for additional support. I did not get the angle right on the first cut, so I am going to have to work with them a bit more.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	23832774

C. 3x 24" with 30deg angle on one end. I did not take pictures of the three individual pieces, but I did take a couple of shots of the top frame after it was all welded together.
    00000001 (Custom).JPG

Name:	004.JPG
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	23832773
    Last edited by Thorson; 06-28-2007, 11:32 PM. Reason: Modified Attachments

Comment

My welds do not look great, but they are getting better as I go along. I have been using a 4" grinder to clean them up a little bit. I am also having lots of issues on the corners, so I have been grinding the corners down quite a bit. Once I get the corners cleaned up, I come back and give the a good weld bead to make sure I get a good strong weld. You can see it a bit on the pictures of the assembled frame.

On to the next step....

Comment

Next I welded up the leg pieces (A) to the frame.

Name:	00Kitchen 049 (Small).jpg
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	23832779

Name:	floor (Small).jpg
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	23832780

Here a few closeups:

Name:	SuburbanTinks.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	23832781

Name:	DSCN1383.jpg
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	23832782

That is all I have done for the moment. I have to cleanup the angles on the support pieces. I should be able to get those cleaned up tomorrow evening. Maybe I can even get them welded up. I will update later when I get the support pieces on.

Thanks for watching!

Comment

Also, I forgot to add that I am going to be attaching two 55 gallon barrels to be used with this tripod, so I am shooting to be able to handle 800lbs+. I will let you all know if it actually works!

Comment

looking good so far!

Comment

Not a thing wrong with that!

Comment

That looks good. I would suggest using a worm gear winch with a good drill to raise and lower. Also, double pulley it to cut the load in half.

We had one in Mexico built out of 4' culvert about 5'6" tall, it held like 2000lbs. For that one we had one of those Harbor Freight emergency 12V winches hooked up. But the electronics went out on it and we used a Dewalt to raise and lower it. When that feeder was full we would have to stop half way to let the drill rest, it would get a little warm!

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico Hunter View Post
                  I would suggest using a worm gear winch with a good drill to raise and lower. Also, double pulley it to cut the load in half.
                  I have been contemplating something like this. Mostly I have been unable to find the necessary hardware. Any ideas where I can find hardware to fit the bill in the D/FW area?

Comment

Is there a Harbor Freight in the area? That is where I got the winch from. The pulleys came from TSC, but you may be able to get them cheaper somewhere else. Others may have better sources especially in DFW.

Comment

when you get a winch make sure you get a brake winch for safety reasons. Tractor Suppy has good pulleys and also Ultrakarl has everything you would need.

Comment

Looks real good! Who cares if the welds aren't pretty. So long as they are strong, you are golden! Keep us posted.

Comment

Show us what the finished product looks like...

Comment

I have 4 wich up feeders and they are really great! Especially when you are by yourself when you fill the feeders.

Comment

Looks great for someone just starting out.

Comment

Working...
                              X