Box blind plans anyone???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Box blind plans anyone???

I am looking for plans on a double wide box blind.Havent done a whole lot of carpenter work so need plans if at all possible.I'm more of a metal guy.Thanks in advance !

Can you weld?

I assume you are looking for a rifle blind.... This is something I had designed a few years ago but never did anything with it. The idea was then to make the blind part in sections so it could be assembled once the base was in the air.

Can you weld?

I don't have the work for the box, but this is a base that I had worked up. The floor would be 20' off the ground. I was going for something large at the time, and easy to put up. You would use 2 cranks winches to raise the upper section.

Look at the size of the blind. It would be a 6' by 8' blind.

Comment

Gotta hand it to ya Mexico. When you dream, you dream BIG!!!! Can't imagine what would happen if you and Moser ever got together. That would make a heck of a blind

Comment

bd - Yea, you got to think ahead. Trying to get something that high in the air and making it a managable process was the goal. You see there are 2 hand winches on it, that way once you hit that pinical (sp) point when the top wants to drop down you can manage the fall. The winch on the left of the picture raises the top section up until it wants to fall and then the second winch takes over so it doesn't just drop. Then you put a couple of bolts in it to keep it shut....

I liked the idea of sections for walls to make it easier to trailer to the lease. If you look at all of the deminsions it would fit on a 16ft trailer when in pieces, with the exception of the ladder. But after building the 14' stand and putting a full staircase on it, that is the only way to go!

Also, I would suggest using worm gear winches with a nut welded on it. That way you can use your trusty Dewalt 18V drill to turn the winch. The worm gear will also allow you to raise and lower without the free-fall of a typical feeder type gear winch.

When you are going high it is hard to just use a truck to raise it, leverage becomes a problem. Especially if you are making a mini condo.

I bet you could have a card game in a 6x8.

I'd like to see someone build it. I'm not hunting Mexico anymore, just got on a small central TX bow hunting only lease so it isn't in the plans for me.

Moser - it looks like you have a project

Comment

I'd like to see someone build it as well. Don't know jack about welding or the materials. Ballpark, what do you think it would cost to build?

Comment

I really don't know, I haven't bought any steel in about a year now. I am sure there are others that would be able to help. All the measurements are there so you should be able to get a pretty good idea how much material it will take. The only thing I would add is some cross bracing on the top for the platform.

I would assume you would be in for $300-400 for the materials, but my pricing may be way off. The thing is it would be one of those stands you would have for a lifetime.

Comment

Plans come with this tower blind kit and tower legs are simplified with steel sleeves for 4x4 posts. Can also be used as ground blind. Kit makes for EZ transport and can be built complete for less than $600 including kit... http://www.deertexas.com/store/deer_blind.html

Comment

It's a very cool idea Mex, especially the dual winches. 2"X1/8" angle iron would probably be plenty stout, if properly braced, and still not too heavy. It would take quite a while to build though. That's alot of lumber to be hauling up a 20' ladder, but I suppose a rope and pulley could be rigged up and two or three guys could knock it out relatively quickly. You'd need A LOT of guy wires, and quite possibly a lightening rod!

If I needed to be up that high.............I think I could do it! Looks fun too.

Comment

Dale - I think you should get with bdchorn and build it for him, there was a little interest there.....

Using the worm gear winch with a good drill you could probably strap the walls and roof to the floor while you raise it. Instead of wood walls I would construct it out of thin guage 1" square tube and cover the walls in sheets of tin. This would keep it light and also make it last forever. (Then you would really want that lightening rod)

I have a 55 gallon feeder in the backyard that I set up with a worm gear winch with a drill to raise and lower, it works great. Just make sure you have a charge battery. No normal person would want to try an raise and lower it manually, it might take the torc out of it but the repeatation would kill you!

Comment

[QUOTE=Mexico Hunter;246779]Dale - I think you should get with bdchorn and build it for him, there was a little interest there.....

I still have to talk Dale into building a center console for my jeep, then we can talk about the blind

Comment

Take a number....lol.

Comment

bdchron - If it is an old CJ just use an ammo box with a little elevation on the back. Water tight! That is what I had done on my CJ, it worked well. Sorry, the Jeep got ripped off and I don't have any pictures of it.

Comment

That's a ****ed good idea Mexico. Dale, I'm number 1,233

Comment

FYI - I have made timer enclosures out of them too. Best enclosure I have ever had. Quick and cheap too!

Comment

We use them for timers and battery holders for our digital cameras. Surprised I didn't think of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X