No announcement yet.

Fort Hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hell, I'll just be happy to be in the woods.

Comment

Originally posted by BowTechGuardian View Post
      Is there any areas on Fort Hood that might be good for bowhunting deer that do not get a lot of hunting pressure? The area I tried last year was always booked up or closed because of training. I really want to try and start scouting a couple of areas but Hood is so large I was hoping someone might could narrow the options down. Thanks for any advice.
      Lance That is the bad thing about area access. We don't find out what area will be open or closed until Thrusday. You know I work year around in my guided area and last year 45 was not open for most of Nov.and 46 was closed quite a few weekends, but we did not find out until Thursday. I would be nice to see a units long range training schedule but we don't get that.

Comment

Originally posted by ballisticbudda View Post
        I would call that wishful thinking. There are a lot of hunters that call Ft Hood home. You have to be like Ed and get off of the beaten path to find a secluded area. Even then, nothing is guaranteed.

X10 Tim is 100% correct

Comment

Is there any areas on Fort Hood that might be good for bowhunting deer that do not get a lot of hunting pressure? The area I tried last year was always booked up or closed because of training. I really want to try and start scouting a couple of areas but Hood is so large I was hoping someone might could narrow the options down. Thanks for any advice.
          One place that may work is 8N. I've frequently seen deer (and pigs) there, but have never done a real scout of it or set out any cameras so don't know the quality of the resident beasties.

A couple other areas that I'd given some thought to, but have not really researched, are the ones adjacent to the airport. Can't think of the numbers right off. Anyhow, they are fenced and you need to get the keys from the Sportsman's Center which should limit the competition some.

Then there are the no feeder, no stand areas. Scout them to find where the deer normally travel, and the day of your hunt hand throw some corn to entice them to stop for a bite. A piece of camo cloth and some spring clips can make a nice blind.

Comment

The no stand no feeder areas, can u set cams up in those areas?

Comment

Originally posted by HoffDawg View Post
              The no stand no feeder areas, can u set cams up in those areas?
              It doesn't say one way or the other. So I guess you could. But I don't think I would. I'm pretty gutsy when it comes to putting out my camera's, but those areas have just way too much non-hunter traffic for me to take the chance. Well, maybe with one that I have. The squirrels have pretty much made it look like trash. They seem to like to chew on it. Must be something in the plastic, or salt from my sweaty hands. Takes good pictures still, but looks terrible. You don't need a camera to see where the deer are going to walk anyway. Google earth will tell you all you need to know. Just look for the tree lines between open areas. That'll be your deer routes. Deer are predictable that way. Pigs .... another story altogether .... they'll head off across open country, so are pretty random.

Comment

How can i look it up on google earth?

Comment

Alright, I know there probably aren't many baseball fans on here, but there should be. It's great training for sitting in a stand waiting for something to happen. If there's any inkling of interest in your soul at all, check out the Texas Rangers. Nine and one on the young season. They're pitching has been awesome which means even better practice for sitting waiting for something to happen. Baseball really is good practice for sitting in a tree, try it (a few Shiner's or Lone Stars are a good training aide.)

Comment

Originally posted by Walkin STX Hank View Post
                    Lance That is the bad thing about area access. We don't find out what area will be open or closed until Thrusday. You know I work year around in my guided area and last year 45 was not open for most of Nov.and 46 was closed quite a few weekends, but we did not find out until Thursday. I would be nice to see a units long range training schedule but we don't get that.
                    Hank, I know you're right. I guess I shouldn't complain and just be happy to get in an area when I can. I really want to get a deer with a bow and I'm thinking to concentrate more on bowhunting this year. As long as the smoke pole temptation doesn't get the better of me.

Originally posted by EdO View Post
                    One place that may work is 8N. I've frequently seen deer (and pigs) there, but have never done a real scout of it or set out any cameras so don't know the quality of the resident beasties.

A couple other areas that I'd given some thought to, but have not really researched, are the ones adjacent to the airport. Can't think of the numbers right off. Anyhow, they are fenced and you need to get the keys from the Sportsman's Center which should limit the competition some.

Then there are the no feeder, no stand areas. Scout them to find where the deer normally travel, and the day of your hunt hand throw some corn to entice them to stop for a bite. A piece of camo cloth and some spring clips can make a nice blind.
                    Ed, I appreciate the advice. Would you be interested in giving a tour of an area or 2 sometime?

Comment

How can i look it up on google earth?
                      Take the map that the sportsmans center issues you. Identify the area your interested in on it. Then you should be able to translate that to Google Earth.

Actually, once you are familiar with the Killeen area on Google, it gets pretty simple.

Like anything else, practice helps a lot.

Google earth is your best friend.

Let me see if I can work something up real quick.

See the tree line paralleled by the tire tracks. This year a deer was taken off each end. They use the tree lines to travel between areas.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hank, I know you're right. I guess I shouldn't complain and just be happy to get in an area when I can. I really want to get a deer with a bow and I'm thinking to concentrate more on bowhunting this year. As long as the smoke pole temptation doesn't get the better of me.

Ed, I appreciate the advice. Would you be interested in giving a tour of an area or 2 sometime?

You know, it's probably a throw back to my Indian genes or something, but I just don't schedules and people very well. Always glad to help by remote control though. Give me a few and check your pm. I need to grab a beer (it's biblical, despite what they say) and get situated (get on another computer) first.

Comment

EdO Thanks for the info. I just started using google earth a couple days ago. I'm sure once I get the Map from the sportsman center it won't be hard to reference it on G.E.Thanks again...

Comment

Lance, here's the map I'm thinking I sent a couple pm's explaing it, but I can't tell one way or the other.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by EdO; 04-11-2011, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Found the hunting areas on Hood. Thanks to Belton Lake....LOL.. trying to bounce it off the map they have published on the fort hood hunting page.

Comment

EdO Thanks for the info. I just started using google earth a couple days ago. I'm sure once I get the Map from the sportsman center it won't be hard to reference it on G.E.Thanks again...
                                It really doesn't matter what area your in. You just follow the tree lines and your good. The tree line around a clearing or between clearings. Both work, it doesn't matter. Deer are, for the most part, creatures of the edge.

Texas is a bit tougher because there's no snow. We always had snow. But, if it's a wet year, Texas has mud/soft dirt.

I need this wind to lay down so I can do some fishing.

Comment

Working...
                                X