Aransas 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aransas 2018

Who else is giving their blood, money, and time there this year? I will be attending the archery hunt. I hunted there about 15 years ago in my youth. All I remember is how miserable it was, hoards of mosquitos, my fathers and uncles back always had a few dozen mosquitos attached at any second, the windows and roofs covered in mosquitos in the cabs of trucks, and just more mosquitos. The vegetation was mostly impenetrable. The weather was hot and humid.

Nonetheless, I'd say this will be one of the more challenging archery hunts there is, but for those who know, that's right up my alley. It'll be tough to keep my streak going at place like Aransas NWR. We will see.

Who else is attending?

Let the games begin!

Yep, I was drawn for this hunt. This will be my first time hunoting here

Comment

I was drawn too. I’m wondering when their rut is. The rut here in Matagorda County is starting now and over by the time archery season starts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm in as well, first time here.

Comment

First time putting in for drawn hunts and I hit on this one. Alligators, snakes, and mosquitoes oh my! I'm interested in hearing people's experience with gear and the set up of this hunt. I haven't been able to get anybody on the phone down there as of yet so if anybody here can answer some questions for me (and maybe other folks hunting this spot for the first time) it would be greatly. I'm particularly interested in footwear choice as well as hunting style. Is the need for snake boots overstated? Can I get away with using my usual Irish Setters? Secondly, I've been more of a spot and stalker since I picked up a bow but i've read other threads about Aransas where people are more apt to utilize tree stands, tripods, or pop-up blinds. Sounds like it's a tough hunt from reading some of the older threads but it'll be good for the experience regardless.

Comment

I drew as well. And I'm looking for inputs.

Comment

I'm thinking because they cancelled the archery hunt last year with Harvey, it means less harvested. If the habitat rebounded and some older ones got a pass last year, it might mean good things for this year. Here's to hoping...

Comment

Picked also.

Is it a mandatory meeting/scout day on the 29th?? I could not find anything online.

I will be calling them in the morning.

Comment

Make sure you’ll take spray for the mosquitos they are real bad. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Caneycreek View Post
                    I was drawn too. I’m wondering when their rut is. The rut here in Matagorda County is starting now and over by the time archery season starts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Mostly the same, in the 60's and early 70's we hunted the refuge in Sept(before the whooping cranes arrived). It was wild, 150 class bucks running around every where.

Originally posted by Dmillerdesign View Post
                    I'm thinking because they cancelled the archery hunt last year with Harvey, it means less harvested. If the habitat rebounded and some older ones got a pass last year, it might mean good things for this year. Here's to hoping...
                    Locals are seeing fewer deer along the coastline. Harvey's eye passed right over the southern tip of the refuge, really hurt last years fawn crop.

Originally posted by topduarte View Post
                    Picked also.

Is it a mandatory meeting/scout day on the 29th?? I could not find anything online.

Only if you're a yankee fan....

Comment

Originally posted by topduarte View Post
                      Picked also.

I know the weekend before (22/23) is the optional scouting period. I didn't see anything about a mandatory meeting on the 29th. Keep us posted what you find out. That would be a real bummer for me if it was mandatory, i fly back to Houston from Seattle that day and intended to hunt during the weekdays.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
                        Mostly the same, in the 60's and early 70's we hunted the refuge in Sept(before the whooping cranes arrived). It was wild, 150 class bucks running around every where.

Locals are seeing fewer deer along the coastline. Harvey's eye passed right over the southern tip of the refuge, really hurt last years fawn crop.

Only if you're a yankee fan....
                        Thumper, what's your experience with the snakes out there? Is it necessary to be wearing snake boots at Aransas like I read in some of the older threads I found?

Comment

Yes, at least 11" boots. In hunting the refuge for 38+ years I've stepped on dozens of water moccasins there, only three rattlesnakes.

Comment

Must have been a lot of people put in. we’re a group of four and waiting on 2nd draw for Aransas archery

Comment

We got drawn for youth hunt mad island deer management

Comment

Working...
                              X