Hunt In: would like to find somewhere

I should have her tonight then, UPS runs late at my house for some reason
brent.westbrook is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2014, 02:41 PM   #502
Chunky
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmatt72 View Post
Yes Chunky, you are right it is about being part of the journey. Since I wasn't able to work in any hunts with Saca I think what I got out of having her was tightening my friendships and bond with TBH. I had been wanting to meet Bob and Zack for a while and just never made myself. So, Saca had just finished being cleaned and touched up and was at Bob's shop so I went down and picked her up. I had built a recurve this summer and going to Bob's was like a trip to "Disney World" for me! I didn't feel worth of standing in Bob's shop and I think that might have been part of the reason I hadn't gone before this. But, getting Saca gave me a reason and I'm glad it did! Bob and Zack welcomed me like I had been there dozens of times. So, Saca was involved with TBHers meeting each other and enforcing the fact that there are many many great folks here on TBH!!
Well said.
Chunky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2014, 02:43 PM   #503
Chunky
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtech Lefty View Post
It's exciting to see the new list started!
What are the specs on Sacagawea? Weight at 28" and length? I searched but could not find it.
I don't remember the exact weight, all the stats are back on one of the early threads when we were just getting started.

I know it is light enough that almost anyone should be able to shoot it. I am going to say mid 40's...and it has a shelf on both sides so that both right and left handed shooters can use her.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:06 PM   #504
TRH
Eight Point

Quote:
Blueridge SR
60"
44lbs@28"
Riser.. Phenolic, osage, bloodwood, anderoba
Limbs. Bocote with aboo core.
Found this on one of the old threads.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co....php?t=260005&
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2014, 03:43 PM   #505
brent.westbrook
Ten Point

Heard a doorbell
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2014, 03:44 PM   #506
brent.westbrook
Ten Point

What could this be
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2014, 03:54 PM   #507
bassmatt72
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any place I can.

I think I know!!!
bassmatt72 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2014, 07:08 PM   #508
deer99hunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mauriceville, Newton, Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent.westbrook View Post
What could this be
Heck yea, it's been a while since we had a box on the porch post !
deer99hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2014, 09:13 PM   #509
brent.westbrook
Ten Point

Didn't get a chance to shoot her much today. Me and the wife were able to sling a few arrows with her this afternoon, so both shelves are getting used. I will also have Sacagawea with me at Brushy Hills Ranch Jan 10-12. Pics to be posted tomorrow
Old 01-03-2014, 09:36 PM   #510
Chunky
Pope & Young

Excellent. Don't forget a bio. Good luck
Old 01-05-2014, 11:18 PM   #511
brent.westbrook
Ten Point

Well I got caught up in shooting and forgot to take pictures, but I have one of a two shot group.Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1388981920895.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  48.1 KBthere WAS a whiffle golf ball there
Old 01-05-2014, 11:30 PM   #512
Bisch
Pope & Young

Good luck with her, Brent!

Bisch
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2014, 10:50 AM   #513
bob sarrels
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tilden, Tex and where ever

My name is Bob Sarrels. I think most of you guys know me but Mark asked me to post a little bio so here goes.

I was born on Oct 25th, 1949 in Abilene , Tx to Joe and Patsy Sarrels. I am the 3rd of 7children and grew up mostly in Abilene, awhile in McAllen and awhile in Corpus Christi.

My dad was an avid fisherman and dove hunter and occasionally hunted deer at my granddads lease in Mission, Tx. Always gun and never archery. I shot a little bow some as a kid but was never really involved in it.

I joined the army in 1967 and spent my last year in Vietnam and when I came back I no longer had a desire to hunt anything after that year long hunt.

I met and married the love of my life Linda and 1975 and we have 3 kids, Kamden, Kayci and Zachary.

In the early part of the 80s a friend of mine took me deer hunting and I shot a deer with a rifle. Then shot a couple of more but my hunting addiction didn't really start until I began shooting a wheel bow. I shot those for a couple of years and bought a cheap old Javalina recurve that was 40 lbs. Got a used Palmer a little later and the hook was set. Went thru a few used bows and in 1997 decided I wanted to try my hand at building a bow. Having been in the custom furniture business most of my life I had some tools and a bit of woodworking skills. I ordered the stuff I needed from Bingham and started working on my longbow design. I had a buddy that had made a couple of longbows and he kinda crippled me thu the job. When I had my first one done he said it looked and shot so much better than either of the 2 bows he made he wasn't gonna make any more. He would buy one from me.

That was the middle of 1997 and so was born the Sierra.

I built a few bows a year for the next couple of years then more and more as the years went by. This was all in my garage and it got a little tight space wise as I acquired more and more tools to make the job easier.

Seven years ago I knew I needed more room but the house we owned in south Austin was on a small lot and could not erect a building on that property. We started shopping for a bigger lot and ended up buying a house on 3/4 of an acre a little further south and I built my shop.

Bow business started getting better and better so about 6 years ago I got completely out of the furniture business and dedicated all my time to making bows.

After starting with the Sierra I kept designing new bows and we now offer 13 different models. All our longbows are named after mountain ranges (the original name of the business was Mountain Longbows) and all our recurves are named after cats.

My son graduated from Texas State University in 2006 with the plan to be a teacher. He wanted an adventure before going into the work world so signed up for a stint with SAGA, which is sort of like Americore, and went off to live in a tent in Alaska for 7 months. He returned to Texas, worked for awhile at his old job and went back to Alaska for a few more months.

After getting back he worked at his old job and did a little substitute teaching and started to wonder if he wanted to teach or not. On day he was hanging around my bow shop and I ask if he would like to train to become a bowyer. He said, you know I have been around this stuff for a long time and it never even crossed my mind.

He came and apprenticed under me for a couple of days a week, then a little more and a little more until he came on board full time around 3 years ago. He has become a fine bowyer himself and will carry the business on when I get too tired to.

My daughter Kamden has 3 kids, Ty, Nathan and Catie, Kayci has 2 boys, Alex and Ian Archer and Zach just got married in November and they are planning on kids too.

We have to make a lot of kids bows.

A couple of years ago Mark, aka Chunky approached me about the possibilities of building a pass around bow and we thought it was a good idea. We built Sacagawea and got her on her way out to everyone. It has been a hoot to follow her travels and hear about all the folks that have had a chance with her. We a really proud to have been a part of this thing and are looking forward to following her travels in the coming months and years. Shoot em down the middle and good hunting.

As a good friend likes to say Longbows and Short Shots. Bob and Zach Sarrels
bob sarrels is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2014, 12:33 PM   #514
Bowyer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas & Oklahoma

Great read Bob. You sound like a remarkable man. Thank you for your service in the military.
Bowyer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2014, 01:41 PM   #515
Chunky
Pope & Young

Thanks Bob, that was perfect
Old 01-06-2014, 07:40 PM   #516
brent.westbrook
Ten Point

Great bio, now I have to follow that?!
Old 01-06-2014, 09:10 PM   #517
Bisch
Pope & Young

Nice Bob!

I know who that "good friend" is! Jeff is an OK guy, for sure.

Bisch
Old 01-06-2014, 09:33 PM   #518
Loreva13
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Iraan, TX, El Paso, TX, Van Horn, TX, and Fort Hancock, TX

Great bio Bob!
Loreva13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2014, 07:49 PM   #519
LMButler
Six Point

Great read Bob!!! Best of luck to you Brent. I know I for one am ready to see saca next to a dead critter.
LMButler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2014, 08:12 PM   #520
deer99hunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mauriceville, Newton, Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob sarrels View Post
My name is Bob Sarrels. I think most of you guys know me but Mark asked me to post a little bio so here goes.

I was born on Oct 25th, 1949 in Abilene , Tx to Joe and Patsy Sarrels. I am the 3rd of 7children and grew up mostly in Abilene, awhile in McAllen and awhile in Corpus Christi.

My dad was an avid fisherman and dove hunter and occasionally hunted deer at my granddads lease in Mission, Tx. Always gun and never archery. I shot a little bow some as a kid but was never really involved in it.

I joined the army in 1967 and spent my last year in Vietnam and when I came back I no longer had a desire to hunt anything after that year long hunt.

I met and married the love of my life Linda and 1975 and we have 3 kids, Kamden, Kayci and Zachary.

In the early part of the 80s a friend of mine took me deer hunting and I shot a deer with a rifle. Then shot a couple of more but my hunting addiction didn't really start until I began shooting a wheel bow. I shot those for a couple of years and bought a cheap old Javalina recurve that was 40 lbs. Got a used Palmer a little later and the hook was set. Went thru a few used bows and in 1997 decided I wanted to try my hand at building a bow. Having been in the custom furniture business most of my life I had some tools and a bit of woodworking skills. I ordered the stuff I needed from Bingham and started working on my longbow design. I had a buddy that had made a couple of longbows and he kinda crippled me thu the job. When I had my first one done he said it looked and shot so much better than either of the 2 bows he made he wasn't gonna make any more. He would buy one from me.

That was the middle of 1997 and so was born the Sierra.

I built a few bows a year for the next couple of years then more and more as the years went by. This was all in my garage and it got a little tight space wise as I acquired more and more tools to make the job easier.

Seven years ago I knew I needed more room but the house we owned in south Austin was on a small lot and could not erect a building on that property. We started shopping for a bigger lot and ended up buying a house on 3/4 of an acre a little further south and I built my shop.

Bow business started getting better and better so about 6 years ago I got completely out of the furniture business and dedicated all my time to making bows.

After starting with the Sierra I kept designing new bows and we now offer 13 different models. All our longbows are named after mountain ranges (the original name of the business was Mountain Longbows) and all our recurves are named after cats.

My son graduated from Texas State University in 2006 with the plan to be a teacher. He wanted an adventure before going into the work world so signed up for a stint with SAGA, which is sort of like Americore, and went off to live in a tent in Alaska for 7 months. He returned to Texas, worked for awhile at his old job and went back to Alaska for a few more months.

After getting back he worked at his old job and did a little substitute teaching and started to wonder if he wanted to teach or not. On day he was hanging around my bow shop and I ask if he would like to train to become a bowyer. He said, you know I have been around this stuff for a long time and it never even crossed my mind.

He came and apprenticed under me for a couple of days a week, then a little more and a little more until he came on board full time around 3 years ago. He has become a fine bowyer himself and will carry the business on when I get too tired to.

My daughter Kamden has 3 kids, Ty, Nathan and Catie, Kayci has 2 boys, Alex and Ian Archer and Zach just got married in November and they are planning on kids too.

We have to make a lot of kids bows.

A couple of years ago Mark, aka Chunky approached me about the possibilities of building a pass around bow and we thought it was a good idea. We built Sacagawea and got her on her way out to everyone. It has been a hoot to follow her travels and hear about all the folks that have had a chance with her. We a really proud to have been a part of this thing and are looking forward to following her travels in the coming months and years. Shoot em down the middle and good hunting.

As a good friend likes to say Longbows and Short Shots. Bob and Zach Sarrels
Thanks for telling us how your bow business came to be Bob ! I've yet to shoot one of y'alls bow, but I hope to make that change and soon. Maybe in the next few weeks I can get the Bischmeister to meet me at your shop so we can go thru the fine art of being fitted for a proper longbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent.westbrook View Post
Great bio, now I have to follow that?!
I am brent.westbrook......... is there a " Rest of the story " ?!?!?!
Hope you've found time to shoot her some more bro, tells us about yo'self when you get a chance
deer99hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2014, 11:08 PM   #521
brent.westbrook
Ten Point

First let me thank all who made this bow possible. My time with Sacagawea flew by. I enjoyed being able to fling arrows with her. My name is Brenton Westbrook. I was raised in Marshall, TX., grew up around shooting bows and guns. However, it was not until I was 13 when I became serious about archery. I saved for two years to be able to upgrade my bow to a Mathews SQ2. It was later that same year I killed my first archery deer, and the second came the very next day. A couple years later I went to East TX archery to upgrade again and was offered a job to help there. I am extremely glad I took that offer. Jeff was able to teach me tons over the next few years and became a great friend of mine. When I graduated HS, I moved to Nacogdoches and attended SFA. I wanted to join the Army but my mother talked me into using my academic scholarships. After a semester I made a friend who showed me a way to do both and set me up to follow in his footsteps. I enlisted in the national guard as a way to gain experience while going to school still so I could become an officer and lead soldiers after school. Two years later and I became a veteran of OIF and someone who lost their mentor on memorial day 2007 to an IED, and also finished my first semester of college after enlisting for "simultaneous" experience.While attending SFA I would go hang out in the local bow shop. After one of my visits I was thanked for selling and setting up 3 bows and asked if I would like to get paid for it. Easy decision for a college student who loves archery. There I was able to continue my archery education with David and began my traditional quest. I took my fiance(at the time) on her first hunt which was my first traditional hunt. This is after shooting 500 arrows throughout the day for six months to become confident with the switch. During that hunt my 30yd shot from my black widow conected with my largest deer to date. I went on to Graduate from SFA with a bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice, and a distinguished military graduate of the R.O.T.C. while branching infantry, my first choice. Soon after I Married my lovely wife and moved to FT Benning,GA to attend infantry officers basic course. Which enlisted infantry basic can not begin to compare to. Afterwards I attended to notorious Ranger school and found myself sleep walking with 100#'s on my back and loosing weight I didn't want to loose. After graduating my wife would tell me my legs twitch like I'm walking in my sleep. I'm now 27, a platoon leader at FT Bliss with an airborne badge, air assault badge, expert infantryman badge, and a ranger tab and happily married to my best friend.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:28 AM   #522
brent.westbrook
Ten Point

On the way
Old 01-25-2014, 09:17 AM   #523
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NC,TX, and anywhere else I can

I'll be looking for it.
Phillip Fields is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2014, 05:49 PM   #524
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

Just got Sacagawea in the mail. She is gorgeous. Its getting dark here so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to shoot her. I'm heading to JCO Outfitters for a pig/javvie hunt Feb 17-21. If I can get some arrows worked up for her I will try to get a javvie with her. I don't have anything that light so I'm not sure I have any arrows that will work.

This is the first time I've handled one of Bob's bows.

Last edited by Phillip Fields; 02-01-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:12 PM   #525
Loreva13
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Iraan, TX, El Paso, TX, Van Horn, TX, and Fort Hancock, TX

Awesome write-up Brent!
Loreva13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2014, 07:42 PM   #526
brent.westbrook
Ten Point

There are some arrows coming with her
Old 02-01-2014, 08:35 PM   #527
Chunky
Pope & Young

Good write up Brent. Best of luck Phillip
Old 02-01-2014, 08:45 PM   #528
pigstika1978
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Fields View Post
Just got Sacagawea in the mail. She is gorgeous. Its getting dark here so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to shoot her. I'm heading to JCO Outfitters for a pig/javvie hunt Feb 17-21. If I can get some arrows worked up for her I will try to get a javvie with her. I don't have anything that light so I'm not sure I have any arrows that will work.

This is the first time I've handled one of Bob's bows.

Congrats Phillip looking forward to some LDP's
pigstika1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2014, 09:06 PM   #529
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

I've got some Grizzystik Sitkas, that weigh 500 grains with a 78 gr insert and a 125 gr point. They are spined for 40-55# bows. I also have some 35-55# spined Arrow Dynamics Hammerhead Lites that weigh 610 gr with a 100 gr brass insert and 125 gr point. Hopefully one of them will shoot out of Sacagawea.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:30 PM   #530
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

I received Sacagawea yesterday afternoon. This morning I took her out to try her out. On my first shot the bottom limb exploded. It split at the tip. I don't know what happened. There was a loud crack and the arrow flew maybe 20 feet. I was using a 500 grain arrow.

In all my years shooting trad bows, this is the first time this has happened to me. I've seen it happen to other guys. Hope it doesn't make me gun shy. I think I'm going to let my nerves settle down before I shoot my bow.

I will return the bow to Bob and pay for a new set of Limbs. My deepest apologies to those that are patiently awaiting there turn with Sacagawea and hopefully Bob can quickly get her back in circulation.
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2014, 01:34 PM   #531
pigstika1978
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South tx

Wow sorry to hear that was looking forward to seeing ldp's and reading some awesome hunting stories about you and sac
pigstika1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-02-2014, 01:57 PM   #532
brent.westbrook
Ten Point

I'm wondering if the extreme changes of weather, very low humidity and 60° to extreme cold could have something to do with it. I have a custom bowie knife with an axis antler handle that cracked when I brought it to el paso. The maker was embarrassed when I told him about it($1400 knife) and said it had only happened 2 other times in 20yrs and both were in extreme low humidity areas.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:58 PM   #533
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Open to Offers

Wow. Sorry to here that. Glad it didn't come apart an clock you on the head. I'm sure bob can fix it.
Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-02-2014, 02:03 PM   #534
bassmatt72
Ten Point

Well Bummer! In the spirit of this bow and TBH, I'll pitch in and help with the cost of shipping and repairs.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:04 PM   #535
bassmatt72
Ten Point

Phillip, you or Bob PM me and keep me informed let me know what it takes.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:52 PM   #536
bassmatt72
Ten Point

CHUNKY!!! Phillips not playing fair! A little bird told me he was going to try and shoulder the responsibility for repairs by himself. He's not sharing! I think in the spirit of Saca, and imo TBH, us guys on the second list should have the chance to help out here.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:23 PM   #537
Bisch
Pope & Young

Well, that sucks rotten eggs!

Here is my 2 cents worth.

The way this bow was born was for twenty of us to pitch in a few $$$ to get it paid for, and then the bow was shipped to each person.

Now there is a second list. Maybe everyone on the new list could pitch in a few $$$ (I bet this could easily be done for less than $20/ person) to have a new set of limbs built and the bow can keep on travelling!

Bisch
Old 02-03-2014, 10:09 AM   #538
TRH
Eight Point

I'm up for helping.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2014, 10:23 AM   #539
Bowtech Lefty
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Medina and Frio Counties

Count me in as well!
Bowtech Lefty is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2014, 10:36 AM   #540
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

Saca.. is on her way back to Bob.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:55 AM   #541
Chunky
Pope & Young

I am adding this post from the other thread, I thought it needed to stay with the history.

Phillip,

The whole thing is kind of my thing, so I get to make the rules.

First off, I don't think anything you did caused the issue. When you are going to be shipping a bow ten to twelve times a year, things are going to happen. We all knew this when this started, and I am really shocked it has gone this long. Actually this is the second time we needed a repair if memory serves.

Second, like the guys above said, I am so glad you are not hurt in anyway, that is all that really matters. A bow can be replaced, a member of our family can not.

Third, NO WAY am I going to let you by the next set of limbs. If Bob can get it back in shape to shoot, I will pay for it (as I am the legal owner of the bow, even though she belongs to all of us). If anyone wants to contribute a few bucks, well, we can talk about that later after Bob gets a look at it, and we see what we are up against.

Like stated above, it all adds to the story. I too am sorry about the delay in her traveling, but in the big picture, that is not a big deal. Let's just hope that Bob and Zach, with their great skills can get it to shoot again. We will go from there.

If that can be worked out, and you still want your turn (I hope you do) we will get her back to you when fixed.

Please do not feel bad, as you were just the unlucky one to have it happen to. Just glad you are not on the list of animals killed by the bow.

Mark
Old 02-05-2014, 02:00 PM   #542
Bowyer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas & Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisch View Post
Well, that sucks rotten eggs!

Here is my 2 cents worth.

The way this bow was born was for twenty of us to pitch in a few $$$ to get it paid for, and then the bow was shipped to each person.

Now there is a second list. Maybe everyone on the new list could pitch in a few $$$ (I bet this could easily be done for less than $20/ person) to have a new set of limbs built and the bow can keep on travelling!

Bisch
I agree with this^^^
Where can I send funds to help with repairs?
Bowyer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2014, 08:42 PM   #543
SwampGhost
Ten Point

Hunt In: La, Tx, Ks, Ne,Il

I will gladly send $$ to help as well.
SwampGhost is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2014, 08:53 PM   #544
RTC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Graham,Ozona

I am happy to contribute, please let me know what it's nedded
RTC is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2014, 11:19 AM   #545
Chunky
Pope & Young

We are waiting on Bob, to give us an update. I will get back to you then. Thanks for your generous offers.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:22 PM   #546
RTC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Graham,Ozona

Keep us posted
RTC is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-09-2014, 10:02 PM   #547
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Open to Offers

I'm in for my part just let me know.
Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2014, 04:51 PM   #548
bob sarrels
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tilden, Tex and where ever

Got Saca in the post today. Will start on a new set of limbs for her in the morning. Will ship back to Phillip as soon as done. Hopefully by the end of the week. No worries, all is not lost . Her trip will continue.
bob sarrels is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2014, 05:17 PM   #549
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

Sounds good Bob. The wife and I are leaving Thursday morning heading for South Texas near Benavides. We are going to hunt Feb 17 - 21 and should be back in Virginia by Monday Feb 24.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:13 PM   #550
Bowtech Lefty
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Medina and Frio Counties

That is great news!
Bowtech Lefty is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top