A sad anniversary and a reminder to be careful around the fire pit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A sad anniversary and a reminder to be careful around the fire pit

As some of you may remember from a long ago post, eight years ago this weekend we had a tragedy at the lease that cost the life of one of our members. Marcus was 68 years old and though in declining health, loved to spend time at the lease. He didn't actually hunt much anymore but loved "camp life" and was the kind of guy who you could count on for anything. He was a great friend, a true gentleman and "West Texas" to the core. That Friday night everyone went to bed pretty early (I was not there that weekend) but Marcus stayed up by himself as usual, stoking a roaring fire and watching the stars. Saturday morning the fellas got up to hunt and found he had died during the night and his body was in the fire pit. As you might imagine it was a shocking and traumatic experience for all who were there - compounded by the mystery of wondering what had actually happened. (He was not drinking, in case you were wondering) The coroner told his widow that he found evidence of a heart attack but I've since learned that was likely to make her feel he didn't suffer. The investigator later told me he most likely tripped over the rocks around the pit and lost his balance.

That lease group has since disbanded - while still friends, none of us hunt together anymore. This weekend however, we will gather around a fire and lift one in Marcus's memory. Be careful out there folks, and make sure to stop and savor every moment you share with friends in the outdoors.

I remember, RIP sir!

Comment

Sorry for your loss. RIP

Comment

Man I remember.

That’s tough. Prayers for all affected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I remember the thread too. What year was that? Prayers sent for all.

Comment

I too remember this tragic accident.

Prayers for his family and friends.

Comment

Wow...tragic. Sorry to hear this.

Comment

My eyes filled as I read this. I have no words. RIP Mr. Marcus and may your gathering heal some long open wounds. God Bless all of you.

Comment

Prayers for all of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

RIP Marcus. Prayers for all who love and remember him.

Comment

I remember that thread, does not seem like it was that long ago.
                      Terrible for all involved and a hard one to get over im sure of that.

Comment

prayers and support sent for all affected by this tragedy RIP Marcus

Comment

Wow! So sad!

Comment

Man, that's terrible.

Comment

That’s terrible. RIP Marcus!

Comment

Working...
                              X