Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
    Tips? It's the same as hunting when it's not raining only wetter
    Best way to handle blood trail in rain? Do you just go for spine shots?

Comment

Originally posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
      The biggest issue is after you shoot and the rain washes away the blood trail. Only thing I've shot in the rain with my bow was a coyote. I know it died but after waiting a few min the only blood was hanging off the bottom of the arrow and there wasnt much left. All the blood on the ground was washed away/diluted down that there wasnt any to follow. For that reason I dont bow hunt in the rain and if gun hunting in it I try for drt shots.

Killing in the rain is easy, recovery can be difficult.
      ^^^THIS!!!^^^

I may hunt in the rain but I won't shoot an animal if it's raining or about to. I do like to be in the stand as soon as the rain stops though.

Comment

As others have said the biggest hold back for me bowhunting in the rain is the recovery. Do I like sitting in an enclosed blind listening to the rain & critters all around?...yes...but do I envy the recovery if I manage to shoot something?...heck no. Too big of a liability for me personally.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
          I don't mind hunting in the rain, but I don't bowhunt in the rain. I don't want to lose an animal because the blood trail washed away.

edit: What denimdeerslayer said...^^
          Yep.

Comment

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
            I hunt enclosed blind to stay dry
            this

I just dont like my bow to get wet. But Im picky about my equipment

Comment

I have haven’t had good sucess in the rain after the rain stops is another story though. I would do everything I could to keep myself and my equipment dry . It’s hard to shoot if your cold and wet .

Comment

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
                I hunt enclosed blind to stay dry
                This. Actually like hunting a light rain but only if in a blind. Sitting in the rain in a tree isn't much fun so I won't do it.

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
                  Do you do it, and if so, what tips do you have?
                  I have done it more times than I care to say and have yet, killed anything

Comment

I use one of those pop up umbrellas that attaches to a tree, a rain suit and put string wax on the heads of my screws and bolts to help keep the water out.

Comment

I hunted in the rain the last 2 days but had no intention of actually shooting during the 3 hunts that it rained on. I might have taken a chance on a pig but no way I would shoot a WT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would think it would be fine, other than feathered arrow users would have to compensate for the water and weight on them.

Comment

I use the Primos bow sling to help keep strings dry on the way to and from the blind and hunt in a box when its raining.

I saw average of 10 deer a sit all last week. Granted, they were all doe and yearling bucks. But they were on their feet even in a downpour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by J.B. View Post
                            Best way to handle blood trail in rain? Do you just go for spine shots?

I shoot for the heart regardless of weather.

A good dog can track a blood trail in rain. They can track the hoof prints in mud too by smell. A really solid downpour can be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                              I don't mind hunting in the rain, but I don't bowhunt in the rain. I don't want to lose an animal because the blood trail washed away.

edit: What denimdeerslayer said...^^
                              I guess this is my biggest fear with a bow. I've used the smoke pole and dropped them.

I really don't want to lose one I've shot in the rain.

Comment

I have hunted in the rain with no issue of trailing or tracking deer/animals. My biggest fear was sitting water in crevices of bow. When I got home I used a can of compressed air to clean out the crevices of the bow (keyboard cleaner etc). Made sure strings were properly waxed.

Comment

Working...
                                X