Fencing questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fencing questions

We are about to RE do some of our barb wire fence on our new place. I was thinking of making the H braces and corner braces out of 3 inch square tubing as its a bit different and the existing gates are made from 2 inch square tubing so it would match. I can also build them cheaper to save us money, then have a fence company come drive the line post and pull the wire. Was going to try and sink them 3 feet depending on the rock layer and cement in.

Thoughts on the strength of this.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

strength of the tubing will be fine, I would go with a minimum of 3/16 wall thickness on the 3 SQ. I would set them a minimum of 4ft deep. I usually bottom my auger out on the tractor and then use post hole digger to get another 15-18". that usually has me 4 - 4-1/2' deep.

Comment

Start smelling beef and broccoli if u go to far.

Comment

If its good soil, 36"=40" is plenty deep on a 5' fence, as long as you have kicker post. If its not, wont matter how deep you go.

Comment

You need to have a 3rd post for a down-brace. It doesn't matter how deep, if you skip this, it'll be pulling out of the ground in a few short years. Trust me, I've seen the comparisons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I build all H braces with kickers on both sides same with corners.

Comment

Originally posted by bowtechbandit View Post
              ...I would go with a minimum of 3/16 wall thickness on the 3 SQ. I would set them a minimum of 4ft deep. I usually bottom my auger out on the tractor and then use post hole digger to get another 15-18". that usually has me 4 - 4-1/2' deep.
              What are you fencing in, T-Rex?

Comment

Three feet is TOO shallow, unless that is in rock. Go DEEP.

Comment

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post
                  What are you fencing in, T-Rex?
                  you ever heard of a Brahman?

I don't even hit clay until 3' where Im at.

Comment

Square? Not round?

I know one thing - I will never use RR ties as gate posts again!

Comment

I think the Square tube is fine. We always go deep on our H's and we do not use the kicker. We go deep as in 4-5' deep. Our interior are 4 strand and exterior are 5 strand and pulled tight. Our post's range from Cedar, RR ties, Mesquites. Deep was something handed down from grandfather and its what we do. We have no issue not using the kicker. Now I am in the market for a post driver and I plan to go pipe. Once that happens I will use the kicker.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                        Square? Not round?

I know one thing - I will never use RR ties as gate posts again!
                        LOL....I just finished a set of cattle pens using bridge ties. We set them every 4 foot and they were 4-5' deep. Its only 100' long and 60' wide, but thank god thats over. I too never care to see a RR tie again

Comment

Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post
                          LOL....I just finished a set of cattle pens using bridge ties. We set them every 4 foot and they were 4-5' deep. Its only 100' long and 60' wide, but thank god thats over. I too never care to see a RR tie again
                          Me neither, with one caveat:

There are some new composite RR tires being manufactured in my city by a company called Integrico Composites. They are a treated oak core, completely encased in a couple inches of recycled plastic. The RR is using them to replace the old wooden ones. The wood ties have a 7 year life under the rails, these new composites have a 50 year life expectancy! Plus, they don't have the creosote chemical that burns your skin, they should last nearly forever in a fencing application, and the factory seconds, last I checked, we're going for about 7-10 bucks a piece. They are heavy as sin though, but so are regular wooden ties.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

Corner posts and gate posts post hole digger deep

Comment

As others have said use a third post for a down-brace. I ran fence around our place two years ago, we're in sand, and although I dug the braces down 4+ feet they are starting to pull up at the corners.

Comment

Working...
                              X