June pigs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

June pigs

A few years ago after I retired from my first career I hunted pigs in June. It was one of those months that seemed just hot enough to be uncomfortable early in the stand yet cool enough the pigs hit the feeders early in the evening.
    The last three years business has been so good I work most Saturdays in May and June and don't get to go hunt like I'd like. However I hope some of you are fortunate enough to be out there sticking a few before the really hot weather hits us.

Gary

Took 3 Wednesday, 1 at daylight, 2 that evening. And as I type this one is on the smoker.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3295.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	24620109

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mmmm

Gary

Comment

You got it right DRT, June in north TX can have some of those 90/90 days, as in 90 degrees hot and 90% humid. Hunting only early in AM is tolerable.

Hey texasrazor, I appreciate you only loading a pic that is in “good taste” for this post. That sure looks good on the smoker.

Comment

Yeah, I need to be out hunting them before the heat really kicks in.

Comment

Me too. Maybe in a couple of weeks.

Gary

Comment

I dropped my lease so my hog hunts will be few and far between.
              That sure looks good on that smoker!

Comment

Man I hate to hear that.

Gary

Comment

I prefer to hunt them during the summer. I set up all my feeders to only feed at dark and after dark after deer season until 1 month before deer season. This way, I don't have to get to my stand until right as the sun is going down, no sitting in the hot sun. I don't hunt out of blinds as they are just too hot and you don't get the evening breeze. Pigs become easier to pattern in the summer for 3 main reasons.
                  1 - Not as much hunting pressure
                  2 - Longer daylight. Since pigs are mostly nocturnal, they are more likely to be more hungry right at dark then they are during the winter when daylight is much shorter. For example, in the summer, we only have about 10hrs of dark and 14 hours of daylight. If a pig only comes out to feed at night, he will have 14 hours straight that it doesn't eat anything so he is going to much hungrier right at dark then he is right at dark in the winter, in the winter he will only have to go about 10 hours between feedings.
                  3 - Less corn available during the summer since many hunters don't feed in the summer. This means if your neighbors stop feeding in the summer, you are more likely to have more pigs at your feeders in the summer if you continue to feed. Of course if you don't have much for water around you may not see any increase and might even see a decrease in pigs as pigs need more water in the hot summer months.

Comment

Originally posted by texasrazor View Post
                    Took 3 Wednesday, 1 at daylight, 2 that evening. And as I type this one is on the smoker.[ATTACH]1005606[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Looks tasty!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X