What's in a string?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's in a string?

Well since I started this journey I've used HCB strings built by DanielB89.
    I know many, probably most, have done this longer and had more strings by more makers but . . .
    I decided to try another brand just to see if there was a difference. I'll try stuff just for the satisfaction of knowing at times. And honestly there was. A couple actually.
    First, being used to Daniel's order form I didn't even know to ask for tie on nocks. Also I always get Flemish twist from Daniel so I missed the part where I had to choose between that and endless loop.
    Anyhow the endless loop strings are nice in how shoot in and stretch are pretty non existent. However if you don't allow an extra quarter inch in string length you won't have much twist to hold in the yarn puffs. Also I definitely like the looks of a twisted string.
    The strings I had made were good looking strings and seemed very well put together. Made by a well reputed maker and I can see why he has a great rep.
    That said the string I put on my long bow never seemed to shoot well for me. Seemed like I was always low. Seemed like I lost cast. Even though the BH was the same the sound and accuracy was off.
    Maybe it's me. Maybe I'm just a mental midget and it's all in my head.
    Has anyone had significant differences in bow performance with just a change in string maker and between endless loop vs FT?
    BCYX vs 99?

Gary
    Last edited by DRT; 05-27-2020, 06:48 PM.

I’ve never used an endless loop string, so can’t comment on that part of your question.

Changing string material can definitely change things up and mess with your tune.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I just ordered another from Daniel. I know it will work good.

Gary

Comment

Did you chrono your bow with both strings? That could tell you real quick if was in your head or not. I generally shoot Flemish strings because i make them myself, buy I have endless on a bow or two as well. I can't tell much if any difference. I do think endless stretch/settle less though. As far as performance endless of like material and string count is generally supposed to be a touch faster, but IME there is very little if any difference. Basically I think buy/make the one you like and be happy

Comment

There are only two things, that can be different in a string to have an effect on performance & tuning.

(1) String velocity at point arrow disconnect.

(2) Nock fit, which can have a direct, and serious impact on #1 regardless of the string.

As far as #1 goes - material type, condition of build, and especially quality of build will all have a huge direct impact on performance & tuning.

Then too, not all strings are created equal. Even if they are made of the same material, same strand count, and same serving configuration they can have very different attitudes, and performance simply due to who built them. I know lots of folks who can build a nice looking string, that will work. I only know a small handful of folks who truly understand what it takes to do it right.

Rick

Comment

Did you count the strands? May have been made with too many strands, therefore slowing things down.

Comment

Working...
            X