Mason Mountain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mason Mountain

Hey all.. got drawn for the Mason Mountain ADE hunt (don't know which one yet).. Have never been there and will be solo so I would greatly appreciate any info/pointers that anyone would care to share! Thanks in advance - G

Got my form and I'll be hunting the first week.... Anyone else? Any pointers?

Comment

Got drawn there several years ago for an exotic (I think it was axis doe) hunt...You hunt by compartments. They have good whitetail deer. You will need a pop up /tripod or something...the trees were not great big at the time, but a pop up works great. You should have a good time.

JayB

Comment

Thanks Jay. Picked up a pop-up on clearance at Academy yesterday and have a buddy w tripod that I may be able to borrow.. appreciate the info.

Comment

I hunted there twice last year, archery and rifle, and one other archery hunt in the past and finding trees for a tree stand is tough but there are some available. Tripod would be better and that is what I would take next time. However plenty of people were using pop ups and they seemed to be doing OK. But it is a great place and all you really need to take is food, drinks, ice chest and bedding stuff. Call and reserve a room.

Comment

Thanks Steve... Did you hunt over bait? Is the landscape wide open pastures/brush/ etc? How big are the compartments that you get assigned to? Did you scout much the first day or just pick a spot to setup and move through out the week as you l;earn the habits of the game? Did you have any luck? Sorry for the 20 questions but wanted to get an idea of what to expect and how to prepare to increase my chances.. Thanks again.

Comment

Baiting was allowed and for them it is a treat because the rest of the year it is whatever they can find to eat. The compartments are large, several hundred acres. Since I was setting up a tree stand my scouting was looking for a suitable tree with signs of deer. That is why a tripod would be better because you can find the sign without having to find a good tree as well. Typical hill country, lots of cedar trees, smaller oaks with some open areas mixed in. As far as success goes the first archery hunt a real nice group of javelinas and that was all. Last years archery hunt a buck in the morning and a doe in the afternoon. The rifle hunt I got a doe. But I just got lucky. But no matter what it is a real nice place with some real good people running it.

Comment

I went to college with Mark and Jeff who run/work on that area. They are good folk and I know they will be willing to help you out. Tell em JB said hello.
                Good Luck!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345772652.242709.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	24108630
                  This is at mason mt. Fun hunts, have been there 4 times. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345772785.121377.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	24108632

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback y'all... spoke with Kelsey at the WMA yesterday and he gave me a ton of info as well...

I've been putting in for this hunt for 6 years so to say I'm excited would be an understatement at best..

Will do JB..

G

Comment

Working...
                    X