Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-13-2017, 03:44 AM   #51
Tx625
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

ttt
Tx625 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2017, 12:48 AM   #52
Azzy
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mountain Home, Tx

Man... my grass was beautiful last year after the floods. I had people commenting on how green it was and then my dumbass fertilized it again and went to hell. I have aerated it. Got so bad that I decided to throw down rye grass during winter to make it green, after how much I had to mow... I'm never doing that again.... I definitely see runners here and there. Im going to put plugs around some of the empty spots and see how that goes.. does people walking around it kill he grass? I have also been watering at night. I'll begin to water in the AM. I do have sprinklers installed just that the **** bill gets so high. Most of the sod thrown on the houses in my neighborhood are above clay. After a few inches it's all clay... not sure if that has something to do with anything.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2017, 01:44 AM   #53
CSanders
Ten Point

Hunt In: Palestine

What's the best thing to do with a recently developed acre lot? All that's growing now is weeds. Is there anything I can grow from a seed that will work?
CSanders is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2017, 05:34 AM   #54
jaspermac
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper/Doole

Army worms were real bad here last year and they love a freshly fertilized lawn. They got me in a couple spots but it will come back
jaspermac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2017, 01:24 PM   #55
darin.brown
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMW View Post
Which type?

Palisades
Emerald
Zeon
Geo
Cutlass
L1F
apologies for the thread bump but looking to re-sod up here in DFW and was looking at around 10 pallets of Zoysia (Zeon most likely). do you deliver up to the DFW area?
darin.brown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2017, 01:27 PM   #56
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastaxi View Post
Are either of these easier to take care of than St. Augustine?
We're starting fresh, and I'd rather not have St. Augustine, if I can help it.

And thanks for the fence info!
Centipede is better than St Augustine. It looks like SA, but it grows slower and is more disease resistant.
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2017, 01:28 PM   #57
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

I am still fighting fungus. Did alot of research and put down Fertilome F Spot on the entire yard, aereated the entire yard with a plug aerator I bought and then sprayed the yard with 14.3% Proprionzale or however you spell it.

My next step will be to buy some good compost and spread it out as I am a stickler for a good yard. Mainly my low spots get the fungus first.

I follow Randy Lemmon's schedule and have been battling fungus and weeds in these same few areas, so I know these spots arent healthy.

Hope to see some changes in 1-3 weeks
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2017, 01:29 PM   #58
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
Man... my grass was beautiful last year after the floods. I had people commenting on how green it was and then my dumbass fertilized it again and went to hell. I have aerated it. Got so bad that I decided to throw down rye grass during winter to make it green, after how much I had to mow... I'm never doing that again.... I definitely see runners here and there. Im going to put plugs around some of the empty spots and see how that goes.. does people walking around it kill he grass? I have also been watering at night. I'll begin to water in the AM. I do have sprinklers installed just that the **** bill gets so high. Most of the sod thrown on the houses in my neighborhood are above clay. After a few inches it's all clay... not sure if that has something to do with anything.
Did you notice any difference after aerating it? I just did that to mine and I hope it helps my fungus.

To my knowledge it has never been done, and I guess lets air get into the soil which helps
Old 05-05-2017, 01:53 PM   #59
Codypatt1
Ten Point

Hunt In: SE OK
Default Help building back my St. Augustine Grass

St Augustine decline or Take All Root(tarr) is bad this year. Having to throw down lots of peat moss to combat. If you are seeing a lot of yellowing and the runners pull loose really easy due to shallow roots, this is your issue.

Last edited by Codypatt1; 05-05-2017 at 02:01 PM.
Codypatt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2017, 02:02 PM   #60
justintyme8303
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Any

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
At my last house I had a sprinkler system and had it set to water every morning at 3:00 am for 45 minutes per station. I had the lushest, greenest St. Augustine grass in the neighborhood. In my opinion, you can't water it enough unless it's just not draining off. Your grass looks very dry.
Unless your watering at night then you just get fungus and turns brown.
justintyme8303 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2017, 02:05 PM   #61
tps7742
Ten Point

Hunt In: East tx

http://m.ktre.com/ktre/db/330602/content/71iUt3v7
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2017, 02:07 PM   #62
justintyme8303
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Any

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
This is your problem prob fungus. Pull the grass if its still firm rooted but looks dead = fungus. If it pulls up easy dead grass

Set a empty tuna can in the yard and run the sprinkler that will help measure the water you need.

Last edited by justintyme8303; 05-05-2017 at 02:09 PM.
justintyme8303 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2017, 02:11 PM   #63
cosmiccowboy
Pope & Young

The best thing I have found to keep St. Augustine lush and healthy is to put a light layer of compost on it every year. It not only fertilizes it builds a deep root base and doesn't require as much water.
cosmiccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2017, 02:45 PM   #64
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmiccowboy View Post
The best thing I have found to keep St. Augustine lush and healthy is to put a light layer of compost on it every year. It not only fertilizes it builds a deep root base and doesn't require as much water.
What kind of compost do you buy? Randy Lemmon talks about it a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codypatt1 View Post
St Augustine decline or Take All Root(tarr) is bad this year. Having to throw down lots of peat moss to combat. If you are seeing a lot of yellowing and the runners pull loose really easy due to shallow roots, this is your issue.
Where do you get peat moss? Heard its a PIA to spread if got a big yard
Old 05-05-2017, 03:45 PM   #65
cosmiccowboy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
I just get the regular compost in bulk at a landscape supply. I use my dump trailer but I see a lot of guys just loading their pickup beds. I think I paid $30 a cubic yard last time.
cosmiccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2017, 03:47 PM   #66
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmiccowboy View Post
I just get the regular compost in bulk at a landscape supply. I use my dump trailer but I see a lot of guys just loading their pickup beds. I think I paid $30 a cubic yard last time.
Ok. Yeah I tried regular compost last year.

I think it has to be some really good compost that is aged well. 2 year old leaf mold compost is what is highly recommended.

Fungus likes to grow in low spots that don't drain well
Old 05-15-2017, 10:24 AM   #67
tgil
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codypatt1 View Post
Trying to salvage a new lawn, that appears to have root rot. Do I rake bad patches to soil then cover with peat, or does peat go on top of dead stuff? Apply then water or just put it down and water with rest of lawn as needed?
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
tgil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2017, 10:41 PM   #68
tgil
Pope & Young

Up

Old 05-15-2017, 11:02 PM   #69
RMW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Down South

Quote:
Originally Posted by darin.brown View Post
apologies for the thread bump but looking to re-sod up here in DFW and was looking at around 10 pallets of Zoysia (Zeon most likely). do you deliver up to the DFW area?
Yes we deliver to Dallas. Freight would not be cheap though, probably 800-900 bucks
RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2017, 11:05 PM   #70
Efren
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

I recently started getting torpedoe grass starting to grow in my st Augustine. Anyone have a good tip on how to get rid of it?
Efren is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2017, 11:30 PM   #71
Codypatt1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post

Where do you get peat moss? Heard its a PIA to spread if got a big yard

You can get it at Home Depot / lowes in compressed bales. You are correct, not fun spreading. I spread with a yard rake turned upside down. You want about an inch layer. Water in afterwards. Most yards should start coming around with this heat.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:35 PM   #72
Codypatt1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgil View Post
Trying to salvage a new lawn, that appears to have root rot. Do I rake bad patches to soil then cover with peat, or does peat go on top of dead stuff? Apply then water or just put it down and water with rest of lawn as needed?
Thanks!

Make sure peat moss is in contact with stolons , especially yellowish ones. See above for more details. Hopefully this heat will push your grass along. Pull up on some of the bad areas and see if the roots are very shallow.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:53 PM   #73
BonesandArrow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Deep South TX - Starr County

Quote:
Here is a field that was plugged with St. Augustine. Should be ready to harvest in 3 months. An example how fast it grows.
When you say plugs do you mean using a shovel to dig up a small square with some dirt attached or pulling up runners and planting them?

Last edited by BonesandArrow; 05-15-2017 at 11:53 PM. Reason: I can't spell
BonesandArrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2017, 12:02 AM   #74
RMW
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonesandArrow View Post
When you say plugs do you mean using a shovel to dig up a small square with some dirt attached or pulling up runners and planting them?
Actually buying blocks of grass and cutting into smaller pieces. You can get a shovel and dig up a few plugs of grass with dirt attached from your own lawn and transplant.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:06 AM   #75
RMW
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efren View Post
I recently started getting torpedoe grass starting to grow in my st Augustine. Anyone have a good tip on how to get rid of it?
Asulox or fusillade. I've sprayed out common Bermuda from my St. Augustine by spot spraying light applications of fusillade. 1/2 ounce to 1 gallon of water in a pump up sprayer and do not drench when spot spraying.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:20 AM   #76
RMW
Ten Point

Here's the latest and greatest Bermuda grass. It's called Tiff Tuff and everybody seems to love it.
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2017, 06:09 AM   #77
RWB
Eight Point

Hunt In: Leon County

Quote:
Here's the latest and greatest Bermuda grass. It's called Tiff Tuff and everybody seems to love it.
RMW.....I am finishing up a new house with one acre that goes down to the lake. Lot is bare dirt now and will be installing sprinkler then start putting in grass. What would you put in if it was your place?

Thank you
RWB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2017, 08:45 AM   #78
RMW
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWB View Post
RMW.....I am finishing up a new house with one acre that goes down to the lake. Lot is bare dirt now and will be installing sprinkler then start putting in grass. What would you put in if it was your place?

Thank you
Tough call! My top 3 grasses that I favor are

Palisades Zoysia
Emerald Zoysia
Tiff Tuff
Old 05-16-2017, 10:01 AM   #79
RWB
Eight Point

Hunt In: Leon County

Quote:
Tough call! My top 3 grasses that I favor are

Palisades Zoysia
Emerald Zoysia
Tiff Tuff
Thank you much....any deciding factors on the three above? I am in magnolia north of houston and yard will have very little shade. Since I am starting out with bare ground I would rather do it once and do it right.
RWB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2017, 06:03 PM   #80
Efren
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

Quote:
Asulox or fusillade. I've sprayed out common Bermuda from my St. Augustine by spot spraying light applications of fusillade. 1/2 ounce to 1 gallon of water in a pump up sprayer and do not drench when spot spraying.
Thanks!
Efren is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2017, 08:44 PM   #81
RMW
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWB View Post
Thank you much....any deciding factors on the three above? I am in magnolia north of houston and yard will have very little shade. Since I am starting out with bare ground I would rather do it once and do it right.
Tiff Tuff is the best bang for the buck
Old 05-17-2017, 11:51 AM   #82
gingib
Pope & Young

I sprayed 14.3% and put down Fertilome F Spot. Then mowed and aerated a 2nd time. The last two days I have noticed a positiv change in the yard finally. I willl reapply 14.3% 30 days after my last spraying and fertilize soon also
Old 05-17-2017, 12:37 PM   #83
tpack
Ten Point

Hunt In: Erath

Quote:
Tiff Tuff is the best bang for the buck

I am putting in a new lawn when my house is finished and had already looked into this grass. Does anyone know how much a pallet it is?
tpack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2017, 09:31 PM   #84
Azzy
Eight Point

Ok. So I decided to take the advice of some and kill it. I burnt it all. Resod and now it's looking great. Paid $65 for a pallet of sod out in Dayton.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:34 PM   #85
tgil
Pope & Young

Looks great!

Old 05-28-2017, 09:47 PM   #86
Azzy
Eight Point

Thanks! I think I spent more in the winter seeding for winter grass than what I did on the sod. Wish I would've known. Would've saved me some cash. Also if anyone needs the number it's Buddy 936 334 2775 he's off of 2100 in Dayton
Old 05-28-2017, 10:37 PM   #87
RMW
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpack View Post
I am putting in a new lawn when my house is finished and had already looked into this grass. Does anyone know how much a pallet it is?
$80-90 a pallet if you by straight from a turf farm. $ 150-200 from a retailer
Old 05-29-2017, 01:36 AM   #88
txtimetravler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilco

How do you get Bermuda out of st Augustine ?
txtimetravler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2017, 09:55 AM   #89
RMW
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtimetravler View Post
Very light applications of fusillade every 28 days. 3oz per acre is a good rate
Old 05-29-2017, 10:34 AM   #90
Part Timer
Six Point

Hunt In: Cleveland, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtimetravler View Post
Also mow higher. It will choke out the bermuda.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Part Timer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2017, 10:38 AM   #91
BigYoung
Six Point

Hunt In: Freestone County TX

Quote:
Keep in mind, that the crab grass seeded out and there is still lots of seed in your soil. I would put pre-emergent atleast 3 times a year for the next 3 years , till the seed becomes non sterile. Then only once a year around mid February should be all you need.
RMW,

What pre emergent do you like? Thanks
BigYoung is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2017, 02:38 PM   #92
RMW
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigYoung View Post
RMW,

What pre emergent do you like? Thanks
These are the pre-emergents that I consider the best. They can be used on any type of turf grass.

1. Ronstar 4-6 months of weed control but very expensive
2. Atrazine/Outlook 6-8 weeks of weed control
3. Atrazine/Dual Magnum. 4-6 weeks of weed control
Old 05-29-2017, 02:49 PM   #93
TallTexan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
These are the pre-emergents that I consider the best. They can be used on any type of turf grass.

1. Ronstar 4-6 months of weed control but very expensive

2. Atrazine/Outlook 6-8 weeks of weed control

3. Atrazine/Dual Magnum. 4-6 weeks of weed control

Is it atrazine that can damage roots of smalls bushes and some trees?
TallTexan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2017, 04:02 PM   #94
RMW
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallTexan View Post
Is it atrazine that can damage roots of smalls bushes and some trees?
Not sure about damaging roots of trees and shrubs, but I do know it will kill or damage a lot of different ornamentals in your flower beds. As for spraying your yard it's perfectly Okay. I don't even think a little spray drift would hurt much in your flower beds as long as you don't directly spray them.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:08 AM   #95
Azzy
Eight Point

So my front is good now. Need help in my back. What weed is this? And should I just burn it all and resod or just burn the weeds or waste them with weed killer?

Would cost me $65 to resod.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:39 PM   #96
gingib
Pope & Young

I aereated mine 2-3 times, put down Fertilome F Spot and sprayed with 14.3% Pro. Fungus is 95% gone away and it been 5 weeks since I did it.

I will spray the 14.3% again in a few days and aerate again as spraying is only temporary. Then will look at getting a big load of compost this summer to improve the soil for a long term solution