Irrational family member?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Matt_C View Post
    You can be a people pleaser, that's all good and fine, but your wife is going to slowly build up resentment from this! That could kill your marriage. Protect your family.

Yes, be sure the people you're trying to please are the right ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you're still reading these............

Here's my two cents.

I get along wonderfully with my two brothers and my sister. I'm lucky in that regard.

I am old though, and one thing I will say is that as the years have gone by, I choose not to spend time with toxic people.

That saying about life being too short is true.

Sad that this toxic person is your own sister.

Realistically you can't completely NOT interact with her, but maybe you can minimize that interaction.

It sounds as if You and your life have your lives nicely in order. You're lucky in that regard.

Best of luck.

Comment

been thru it and its pretty much a no win
        i just choose not to be around them
        prayers up for you brother

Comment

Originally posted by Deer Tamales View Post
          Oh yea, my side of the family isn't doing Christmas til the 26th to accommodate her schedule..
          Sorry we can't make it on the 26th, but we sure would like to come over and exchange gifts on Christmas.

Comment

You can't choose your family only your friends. If it was me I'd visit the parents when I knew that the sister wasn't there . Having family rows anytime rarely end well and it will end up spoiling Christmas for everyone

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
              Two very important points here.

Sis is jealous.

Wife has had enough.

Family is family, you can't pick them...but you picked your wife. You and yours do your Christmas how you want.
              I agree,maybe the rest of the family will get the hint that y'all aren't going to put up with her crap anymore. I wouldn't, heck I would have let her know what I thought years ago. The situation would have been squashed, or no more us, let her pick!

Comment

Life is too short for that kind of bs.

Comment

Going through the same now. My Step-sister of 40 years is already talking about splitting up Dad's and Mom's assets when they die, and hasn't lifted a finger to help my mom or her own biological dad. Hes still alive but not doing well, and mom is very much alive. I had to set up his home health care, help mom with his company. Clean their house for them and fix things he can no longer fix. She has done squat, cant even be bothered to come check on the man who made her financially very secure all these years and treated her like a queen being the oldest child.

She texted me last night asking if we wanted to come to her Christmas party. Have not heard from her in two or three weeks.

Never even asked how my wife as doing (Mine had a bad seizure last week), or how I was doing (my grandmother had a massive stroke the day after my wife's ordeal. OR, if my mom was ok, since the very next day Mom crashed her car trying to drive late at night to Athens to see my grandmother in the hospital. Nope, just wanted to know if we wanted to come over and drink and be merry.

I figured out a long time ago, people will show the worst in themselves when confronted with responsibility or issues they want to avoid. My sister has plenty of money, no kids in the house and never has to worry about the things her brothers try to help with. Hence, about as selfish as they come. I feel you pain. Im buying her a big bottle of Crown for Christmas, then immediately re-gifting it to myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                    Stay home with your wife and kids, stay away from that drama.

Wife and kids are first, EVERYONE else is second, parents included; if I am forced to make that choice.

Amen.

Comment

Practice your hog squeal. When she walks in squeal like a pig and wink at the kids. On about the third time she walks in, the kids will beat you to it. Just kidding...kinda...

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                        Practice your hog squeal. When she walks in squeal like a pig and wink at the kids. On about the third time she walks in, the kids will beat you to it. Just kidding...kinda...

I think that's a helluva idea!!!!

Comment

She needs an arse whupping!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Codie View Post
                            I have family that judges folks (even their own family members) by what they have sitting in their driveway and how they dress and yada, yada, yada, and I also have plenty of family members that make fun of my wife and I for being fitness finatics. It has never crossed my mind to stop going to family Christmas over it. I know I am going to spend a day (maybe two) listening to their garbage and then it is over until next year. There are other folks there that I DO want to see so I just try to spend my time with them and avoid the others. We are all different and making a big deal out of it and refusing to show up for Christmas will do nothing but make it worse in my opinion. Good Luck and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Do y'all cross fit?

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                              Do y'all cross fit?

This comment has not received it's appropriate due. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

Originally posted by az2tx View Post
                                Dale nailed it.
                                Going to visit is you and your wife's call and don't worry about what your sister thinks. If she starts any crap just don't acknowledge it, walk away, talk to your wife or someone about a different subject, get up and walk outside. Make her invisible. If it starts getting uncomfortable just say bye to everyone and leave, never letting on that you are upset. Just say you are going to visit some friends or something.
                                Hope you and your family have a great Christmas
                                Good advice here. Sounds like you're dealing with a "narcissist", your not changing her don't let her change you or harm your immediate family. The old saying "some people you work with and some you work around" applies to family too. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X