Things I've learned about tuning over the last 6 months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things I've learned about tuning over the last 6 months

With my moose hunt coming up i have really been tinkering with bows and arrow combos and playing with different styles of tuning. Here are a few things I've learned..

1.Bare shaft tuning is a crock of ****.. And in my opinion is completely not needed.. a lot of the guys that push this seem to be the guys that are "Super Tuners" and are selling their business. Don't get me wrong they can tie a good looking peep in and get your timing right but "super tuning" is stupid. Just because it is tuned to them doesn't mean it will be tuned to you.. And then they will want you to change your grip or form to fit the bow which is stupid. Most of the guys I know that actually go out and kill stuff don't bare shaft tune.. Its a hip cool thing it seems these days..

2.If its broke don't fix it.. The way i have tuned forever works the best for me. I can get my fixed blades to fly past 80 with no trouble. This is the order of tuning i use.

1. get timing down
    2. shoot through paper at 4 yards and get a bullet hole
    3. walk back tune.
    4. If necessary broadhead tune.

3. Binary Cam bows are the easiest bows i have ever tuned. I don't even have a draw board and i can get my elites shooting perfect. No yoke to mess with or anything like that.

4. Use the spine chart programs. That would have saved me buying about 3 dozen arrows if i would have done that to start with. I could have shot any of the arrows i chose but I stopped having left and right flyers when i finally picked the right ones..

Don't stop learning. Six months is not long. I've been working with bare shafts for over a year now. And in the beginning. I was just like you. But once I found out the arrows I was using had bad tolerances, and got that fixed my bare shaft got better. When shooting bare shafts. Indexing them so they all shoot the same is the most important part to bare shaft tuning. If this is not done you will chase your tail. Your form and grip has to be good also. Lots of practice. Bare shaft will take you to the next level of tuning.

Binary cams are great. And yes easy to tune, but don't shy away from a bow with static yokes. This is just away to micro tune.

Now that I've said that. What your doing is fine and if it works don't stop.
    I totally agree with the spine programs. I believe ontarget2 is $20. Well worth it. It really shines when building high foc arrows.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
      Don't stop learning. Six months is not long. I've been working with bare shafts for over a year now. And in the beginning. I was just like you. But once I found out the arrows I was using had bad tolerances, and got that fixed my bare shaft got better. When shooting bare shafts. Indexing them so they all shoot the same is the most important part to bare shaft tuning. If this is not done you will chase your tail. Your form and grip has to be good also. Lots of practice. Bare shaft will take you to the next level of tuning.

Binary cams are great. And yes easy to tune, but don't shy away from a bow with static yokes. This is just away to micro tune.

Now that I've said that. What your doing is fine and if it works don't stop.
      I totally agree with the spine programs. I believe ontarget2 is $20. Well worth it. It really shines when building high foc arrows.
      This apparently is why i couldn't get a hoyt to bare shaft tune.. But i am not going to change a grip that is comfortable and consistent to me.. If a broadhead hits exactly where my field tip hits past 80 yards there is no next level of tuning.. What is the point?? You can't get better than that.

Comment

You can if your arrow is whipping before you get there. I agree with Newmann as we have had hours of talks about this. It works as far as sending the bow off I don't agree with tune the bow to you

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
          This apparently is why i couldn't get a hoyt to bare shaft tune.. But i am not going to change a grip that is comfortable and consistent to me.. If a broadhead hits exactly where my field tip hits past 80 yards there is no next level of tuning.. What is the point?? You can't get better than that.
          I would say yes. But you can always improve. But. If you can put a Broadhead and a field point in the same place at 80 plus yards. Then your right, why.

But I still want to go to the next level.

Fletchings do a lot. This is why you paper tune less then 10 yards. After that unless way out fletchings correct it. But if you can get a bare shaft to shoot as close to a bullet hole at 20 yards. Then your fletching has to do very little work. So when you do make a torq shot the fletchings can correct for that.

Comment

Originally posted by hoyt21 View Post
            You can if your arrow is whipping before you get there. I agree with Newmann as we have had hours of talks about this. It works as far as sending the bow off I don't agree with tune the bow to you

But if the bow is shooting a bullet hole at 4 yards it isn't whipping b4 it gets there at least not much. There is no amount of info anyone could give me that would convince me that bare shaft tuning is worth the pain in the *** that it is. To be honest tho. Most of the time with my elites it is pretty dang close to bare shaft tuned after I tune it my way.

The thing I disagree with the most is changing your grip to get a bow to bare shaft tune. For beginner archers I guess that might be ok. But no way I could change the grip that is comfortable to me just to get a bow to bare shaft

Comment

What Hoyt was it or is it

Comment

Originally posted by hoyt21 View Post
                What Hoyt was it or is it

Nitrum 34. I sold it and bought another elite tho so no longer have to worry about it. But it drove me crazy for a few months

Comment

But if the bow is shooting a bullet hole at 4 yards it isn't whipping b4 it gets there at least not much. There is no amount of info anyone could give me that would convince me that bare shaft tuning is worth the pain in the *** that it is. To be honest tho. Most of the time with my elites it is pretty dang close to bare shaft tuned after I tune it my way.

The thing I disagree with the most is changing your grip to get a bow to bare shaft tune. For beginner archers I guess that might be ok. But no way I could change the grip that is comfortable to me just to get a bow to bare shaft
                  you doint have to have a perfect bareshaft. And I would not change my grip either if I was you. I've just brought up bare shaft tunning because you stated its not worth it. Your right it's not if your content with what your doing. And it looks like your doing great. But it is the next level of tunning. Bare shaft tunning is not for everyone.

Comment

On the 34 if you had center shot no can lean at 13/16 it should have shot fp and bh together. But am glad you're happy with your elites

Comment

My process is even simpler than yours. I totally agree with the " if it ain't broke, don't fix it " adage, and consistency is the Holy Grail in archery. If you don't have it, your next arrow will always be a surprise. Surprises, especially when shooting at live targets, ain't good.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                        you doint have to have a perfect bareshaft. And I would not change my grip either if I was you. I've just brought up bare shaft tunning because you stated its not worth it. Your right it's not if your content with what your doing. And it looks like your doing great. But it is the next level of tunning. Bare shaft tunning is not for everyone.

But see here is where I don't agree. Anyone who bare shaft tunes has this mindset that what they are doing is next level. Has there ever been a test done on a correctly tuned bow and a bare shaft tuned bow accuracy out of a hooter shooter or something? To see if the bare shaft tuned bow even shoots better? I have never seen any test even suggesting those results. It just seems to me that a bow can only shoot so good and people just like to say bare shaft tuning is superior

Comment

But see here is where I don't agree. Anyone who bare shaft tunes has this mindset that what they are doing is next level. Has there ever been a test done on a correctly tuned bow and a bare shaft tuned bow accuracy out of a hooter shooter or something? To see if the bare shaft tuned bow even shoots better? I have never seen any test even suggesting those results. It just seems to me that a bow can only shoot so good and people just like to say bare shaft tuning is superior

Jt I see where you're coming from. But bareshafting does make a bow perform better gets more speed and more forgiveness out of the bow. But it's for the people that like to weak their set ups. I just got done trying to eliminate the lean I had by making hand adjustments and it really doesn't bother me I've had better performance out of my bow when I started bareshafting. Specially down range I know that my arrows won't drift and I know if it's a bad shot it's me not the bow these were my final results today. This pic was before they were slapping and the pic after was the lean I had. Pretty much zero
                          Attached Files

Comment

Lean
                            Attached Files

Comment

Has there been any testing Just thousands and thousands of archers that have bare shaft tune there bows So I would think that's a pretty good test

Like I stated before a bare shaft shooting a hole at 20 yards is better then a fletched arrow at 4 yards. So yes it's just the next step in tuning. It's not my fault you can't do it so you think it's a waist of time.

Comment

Working...
                              X