New bow-Help me decide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nimrodajh View Post
    WOW!! Mathews put out like 30 bows between the Q2 and Creed. No wonder you want to change it up. You're a sale waiting to happen... good luck with whatever you choose!
    Most have been sold or given away.

I still have my creed and helim.

Comment

I shot dang near all the new bows put out two years ago and the Hoyt CS 34 won hands down for me. The only problem with it was the price tag. My buddy thought the same and that's why he ended up with the Mathews Chill-R which he isn't very happy with. Has had plenty tuning issues with it. If it were me, and I were buying a new bow today off my experience two years ago, the CS 34 would get the nod. But i'm sure things have changed so take what I say for what it's worth.

Comment

Depends a bit on what is most important to you. If mainly a stand hunter and want smooth shootability then I would go with the elite. I am afraid with the arrow weight you want you may not get the speed with the elite. If you are a draw length of like 28.5-29 inches I woukd go with a nitrum 34 and a #2 cam. You will get real close to turbo speed but smoother draw. I have a nitrum 34 and a carbon spyder zt 34. I like the feel of the carbon bow but shoot the nitrum a touch better. Give us some more details. What do you want to hunt? What's your draw length? What factors are most important to you?

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post
          Depends a bit on what is most important to you. If mainly a stand hunter and want smooth shootability then I would go with the elite. I am afraid with the arrow weight you want you may not get the speed with the elite. If you are a draw length of like 28.5-29 inches I woukd go with a nitrum 34 and a #2 cam. You will get real close to turbo speed but smoother draw. I have a nitrum 34 and a carbon spyder zt 34. I like the feel of the carbon bow but shoot the nitrum a touch better. Give us some more details. What do you want to hunt? What's your draw length? What factors are most important to you?
          Doc, you are who I was wanting to hear from regarding Hoyt. I have started putting in for out of state draws and preference points. So eventually I will want I bow I can take out west and feel comfortable taking that 50+ yard shot with. For now it is mostly whitetails and exotics. I go on a nilgai hunt every year and that is what has got me thinking about penetration on larger animals. I'm mostly worried about accuracy and having a bow that can be accurate at long ranges, not necessarily worried about speed.

I'm a 29" draw and like to shoot 70-72 lbs. I like a bow between 32-34 ATA. I like to shoot an arrow between 425-450. Draw cycle is not that important to me but I do like a bow with a solid backwall and good let off.

Comment

You need to shoot the nitrum 34 with a number 2 cam. Look at my previous posts on it. My 34 shoots a 505 grain at 280 fps.

Comment

I'm working on getting our Hoyt dealer to get one in. He's got the turbo and the 30 but no 34.

Comment

I bought the bowtech 360 and absolutely love it. I never shot for fun the past 20 years and now I find myself shooting all the time testing it's limits as well as my own

Comment

I promise you will love a 34 with a number 2 cam. I have told several people that and they all buy 30's or turbos because nobody has a 34 in stock. The bow I am talking about will draw and hold very well. My standard hunting arrows are 450 grains and my nitrum 34 shot that arrow between 295 and 298 fps. That's pretty quick for a moderate weight hunting arrow. I had a nitrum turbo and it was at most a couple fps faster than the 34 but the draw cycle wasn't near as pleasant.

Comment

Good info to know with what everyone has said. I might be looking also but I am going to have to find one that is comparable in the draw and shoot a 560 grain arrow at 270 with a 29" draw and 70#'s with the bow I already have.

Comment

Originally posted by JAGR View Post
                      I'm a 29" draw and like to shoot 70 lbs BTW.
                      I'm shooting the CS34 28.5" 66lbs with 475gr arrow at 270fps so 280-285 with your specs would not be an issue with any of the Hoyt 34 or Turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post
                        I promise you will love a 34 with a number 2 cam. I have told several people that and they all buy 30's or turbos because nobody has a 34 in stock. The bow I am talking about will draw and hold very well. My standard hunting arrows are 450 grains and my nitrum 34 shot that arrow between 295 and 298 fps. That's pretty quick for a moderate weight hunting arrow. I had a nitrum turbo and it was at most a couple fps faster than the 34 but the draw cycle wasn't near as pleasant.
                        The 34 would be a #2 cam 27-29" at longest draw length E mod so you'll get the maximum speed out of the bow It's so smooth and aims so well!! I personally can tell a different between the turbo and 34 in draw cycle, BH, and aiming. The turbo just isn't worth the extra speed for me when I'm deadly confident in the aiming and forgiveness of the 34.

Comment

Definitely going to shoot that nitrum 34.

Thanks for the help y'all.

Comment

Might look at Darton DS-3700. Up to 32" draw.

Ive a DS-3800 lh 31". Still tuning. No specs. Be aware, the dual sync cam letdown is wicked. A couple times it flung me into the target, I sharked wildy. Still made it on paper.

Comment

It may not be something different, but I had a Chill R with Rock mods on it. it drew great, held light, and was pretty fast. I shot a 396gr arrow at 292 at 63#. I loved the bow, but got the HTR when they came out. Since all i do is whitetail and pig hunt, I now shoot a 378gr arrow at 290 at 68#.

I am getting an Obsession Fusion 6 in a few weeks and look forward to seeing if the good things I have heard about them are true.

Comment

Has anyone shot the mathews safari?

Comment

Working...
                                X