Headache rack build along

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headache rack build along

I've been planning on getting to this project for a year now and life kept getting in the way. Got around to buying steel for it 10 months ago. Made the blueprint 6 months ago. Finally got to actually working on it today.

Frame is 11ga 2". The inner cross bars and short 6" uprights are 11ga 1.5" and will be diamond, not flat. I will be mounting rear work lights in the two holes in the top. Side frame extends 2" over the top rail and should be great for transporting steel and lumber. The bottom of the top rail just clears the third brake light and gives enough clearance for objects I'm transporting to not hit the roof.

I'm going to mount it on full bed rails from probably 4" angle, and it will also have angle on the bulkhead. Gussets will be 1/4 plate with something cool cut in them. Maybe a TBH logo, maybe the state of Texas.

Today, I got all the steel cut for the rack itself, layed it out, and labeled it. Then stacked it up to continue hopefully tomorrow.

have fun...beer sure you got beer....

Comment

Shiner in the shop fridge

Comment

Spent an hour preparing all the joints and tacking the insert together. When I first started welding, I never tacked, just started right into welding, and quickly learned that's a good way to build crooked crap. This project was a good reminder, as all the diamond tube had to be squared in 3 planes. The saddle cut pieces were tough. I first tried putting them in my 90° vise. I had them square to each other at the T, and on the rotation, but they were skewed on the vertical plane.

So I cut the tacks, got the rest of the insert done, set the insert on the bottom rail, set the top rail over the insert, and squared them to the top and cross member at the same time. Much easier. Pic shortly.

Comment

Insert.

Comment

Following. Great start.

Comment

Off to a good start.

Comment

Looks good.

Comment

Got the end caps welded on the bottom rail and side uprights, and tacked it all together. Next step will be welding it all up and then work on the bed rail caps.

Comment

Steel...$30
                    Chop saw blade...$5
                    Flap wheels...$4
                    Dog goes in the garage with you, knocks over your lightly tacked together work, and it breaks all apart... Infuriating.

Lol

Comment

Originally posted by PSD Ryan View Post
                      Steel...$30
                      Chop saw blade...$5
                      Flap wheels...$4
                      Dog goes in the garage with you, knocks over your lightly tacked together work, and it breaks all apart... Infuriating.

Lol
                      That's what they're for. I've got 2 mastiffs, so I feel your pain. Lol.

Looks good bud

Comment

I'm having the worst of luck on this project. Got it all tacked back up and welded today, was grinding some of the welds flush so it looks like one piece of metal instead of welded together and then the worst thing yet happened. My grinder slowed down. And then started popping. And it's broke. 5 year old Milwaukee gone. Just out of warranty. Dangit.
                        Last edited by PSD Ryan; 06-23-2014, 10:23 AM.

Comment

On closer inspection, I just barely burned the armature. Not going to try to repair it. Ordered a new armature and brushes for $60 shipped and will probably buy a $20 harbor freight grinder for a backup.

Comment

My $20 grinder does everything I ask it to do and even though it shouldve died several years ago, I havent even had to replace the brushes... Beats the heck out of dragging out the 7" milwaukee....

Comment

i have 4 of the cheapies from habor freight. 1 for grinding, 1 with the wire wheel, 1 one with the cuttoff wheel and 1 one for back up. i don't have to change out wheels. just pick up the one i need at the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X