Savage 110 Pillar Bedding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Savage 110 Pillar Bedding

Picked this gun up for $150 at a pawn shop last week. Put a set of basic Leupold $10 bases on it and mounted rings and Redfield 3-9 Revenge scope I already had on hand. I then cut the barrel from 22" to 20 1/2" and threaded it 1/2x28 for my Form 1 suppressor. First target is 100 yard group (1.2") before bedding.

The pillars are turned from 1/2" aluminum rod and each was made with 4 .2x.2 glue grooves. The front pillar is countersunk .25" for the bolt head to sit about .1 inches below the surface. The back pillar is notched at receiver end to clear the trigger action, and has a .06x.35 extension to extend up through the plastic trigger guard and provide metal to metal at the bolt head. I opened the front trigger guard hole just enough to provide a tight fit around the extension.

I made the pillars long enough to raise the whole action .05", which free floated the tang. Before the bedding job, the tang had significant contact, and the barrel was not centered in the stock. The barrel was centered with the usual 5-6 layers of masking tape around the barrel at the front of the stock and also around the tang. I then put the pillars on the action and snugged the bolts down.

The tricky part is drilling straight holes a little over 1/2" in diameter through the stock at the front and rear action bolt holes. I always have to use a round file to straighten out the holes some.

I am cheap, so I use West System epoxy and mix enough diatomaceous earth into it to make it almost peanut butter thick. I use Kiwi neutral shoe polish as release agent and modeling clay to keep bedding out of areas it is not welcome.

Next, the pillars are covered with the epoxy and I also put some in the holes in the stock, then put some where the bottom of the action contacts the stock, and the along the edge where the sides of the action contact the stock. I set the action into the stock and secured it in place with several wraps of masking tape around the barrel/stock and receiver/stock.

I let the glue set hard, but while it is still easily trimmed, removed it from the stock, and trimmed as needed. I then put the action back together, torqued the bolts down, and left it over night.

Some of this only applies if you have your own lathe, but much applies if using pre-made pillars also. I also found the old Savage action with the blind magazine attached to the barrel is much easier to bed than the new ones with the magazine attached to the stock.

Sorry for the long read. It is hard to know how much detail to put in. The last target is the first group (0.7") with the newly bedded stock.
    Attached Files

now to paint the stock...?

Comment

Originally posted by hunt247 View Post
      now to paint the stock...?
      Probably not. Want it to look like a $200 gun in case I ever get to test it against one of those $2000+ "builds". Otherwise, it will be my hog/deer gun if I am hunting where I may need to get out a little ways.

Forgot to add in original post that the above groups were all shot with plain old Remington 130 grain Core-Lokt ammo. Could really get interesting when I start reloading for it.

Comment

.270?

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
          .270?
          Sorry, left that out. Yes, 270.

Comment

Did you bed the recoil lug area?
            Is the Flyer, off to left, the third shot? If so. Those two next to each other are the ones that count. Critter getter for sure.

Comment

Nice work TxNurse.. i like it when the $150 underdog ends up winning

Comment

Great work man. You got some skill.

Comment

Savage 110 Pillar

I'm fixing to try a pillar job on a savage like the one in the pictures. I purchased my pillars, but they need to be cut down. I have a quick question, how long did you make the pillars?

Comment

It has been long enough I don't remember now. Sorry.

Comment

That's okay, I'll give it a try anyway.

Comment

Fixing to do the same to my savage 110.

Here is a thread on savage shoots on my build and information I am collecting on the process.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...270-build-help

Comment

Working on the pillar job hopefully be complete be the end of the week. Will try and post a few pictures.

Comment

Working...
                          X