Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 06-28-2018, 03:57 PM   #1
kck
Eight Point

Hunt In: Level 3 MLD Golf Course
Default AR Pistola build list help

First and foremost, I don't know AR's well. I've shot them a little and dropped a trigger in one as that's the extent of my knowledge. I build bolt guns in my shop and that's what I shoot and build for myself and customers. However, for some reason I want an AR pistol real bad to stick my can on for piggies. I assume I'd like a 10.5" barrel but not knowing AR's well or the parts I'd like some help from any of the pros here. I'm an FFL and I wouldn't mind getting to know some of the better manufacturers as I've had quite a few people wanting me to order lowers for them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
kck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2018, 04:39 PM   #2
AgBass01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cuero, Brownwood

There are so many possibilities with ARs. I built one in 300blk with a 10.5" barrel so I can shoot subsonic and suppressed for piggies.
AgBass01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2018, 04:56 PM   #3
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

IMO 300 BO really stands out for a pistol.
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2018, 04:58 PM   #4
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma

The possibilities are endless and the opinions are even greater.lol

Iíve got more ARís than you can shake a stick at, some expensive and some cheap and some Frankenstein builds. But so far Iíve found for hog hunting and target shooting, they all go bang and are more accurate than I am. Just know that there is a 0% chance of you ever getting your money back if you rig it up yourself, probably even if youíre buying wholesale. But ARís are Barbie dolls for men and they are super fun to shoot.

These are my 2 cents and Iím not one of those ďmy way or the highway guysĒ, this is just what Iím doing for my NV/thermal setups and it works good for me. (I sell NV/thermal for a living)

Iíve got 3 pistols and they are all Palmetto State Armory and besides the cheap triggers I canít say anything bad about them. I really like the 10.5Ē barrel and in both .223 and .300blk. Honestly, if starting from scratch, Iíd go .300blk because the ammo is affordable and itís just a nice little bump from .233 but whatever you do will be fine.

I use the SBTactical brace on a KAK extended pistol buffer tube which is nice if maybe feel like putting it to your should sometime.....I know thatís not your intent in building it though....... Go ahead before you build the rig and decide how you want to carry it, 2 point or single point sling and that way you can order the sling adapters while youíre getting other parts.

Here is one of my .300blk thermal rigs.
Attached Images

Last edited by Outdoor Legacy; 06-28-2018 at 05:01 PM.
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2018, 05:03 PM   #5
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

I don't know much about them either, except the one I bought on here was worth the money, plenty accurate, handy on the golf cart, and begs for a can. Had to put an adjustable gas block on it because it was pretty gassy behind the action after adding the can, but that was my only complaint.
Drycreek3189 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2018, 05:13 PM   #6
35remington
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the dark

35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2018, 05:20 PM   #7
bboswell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
The possibilities are endless and the opinions are even greater.lol

Iíve got more ARís than you can shake a stick at, some expensive and some cheap and some Frankenstein builds. But so far Iíve found for hog hunting and target shooting, they all go bang and are more accurate than I am. Just know that there is a 0% chance of you ever getting your money back if you rig it up yourself, probably even if youíre buying wholesale. But ARís are Barbie dolls for men and they are super fun to shoot.

These are my 2 cents and Iím not one of those ďmy way or the highway guysĒ, this is just what Iím doing for my NV/thermal setups and it works good for me. (I sell NV/thermal for a living)

Iíve got 3 pistols and they are all Palmetto State Armory and besides the cheap triggers I canít say anything bad about them. I really like the 10.5Ē barrel and in both .223 and .300blk. Honestly, if starting from scratch, Iíd go .300blk because the ammo is affordable and itís just a nice little bump from .233 but whatever you do will be fine.

I use the SBTactical brace on a KAK extended pistol buffer tube which is nice if maybe feel like putting it to your should sometime.....I know thatís not your intent in building it though....... Go ahead before you build the rig and decide how you want to carry it, 2 point or single point sling and that way you can order the sling adapters while youíre getting other parts.

Here is one of my .300blk thermal rigs.

If you decide to go with the SB brace mentioned let me know, I have I donít need
Old 06-28-2018, 05:37 PM   #8
Bruiser
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kck View Post
First and foremost, I don't know AR's well. I've shot them a little and dropped a trigger in one as that's the extent of my knowledge. I build bolt guns in my shop and that's what I shoot and build for myself and customers. However, for some reason I want an AR pistol real bad to stick my can on for piggies. I assume I'd like a 10.5" barrel but not knowing AR's well or the parts I'd like some help from any of the pros here. I'm an FFL and I wouldn't mind getting to know some of the better manufacturers as I've had quite a few people wanting me to order lowers for them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
go to ar15.com
Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2018, 07:00 PM   #9
oneisnone
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post

Last edited by oneisnone; 06-28-2018 at 07:01 PM. Reason: I don’t want to visit the cooler
oneisnone is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2018, 07:23 PM   #10
kck
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
Ah, re-read sir. I already make money and if you'd like a 1000 yard bolt rig that's **** purdy just holler at me Only asked about the lowers since I've gotten a bunch of requests that I've had to turn down since I'm not an AR-savvy guy....yet.

Outdoor Legacy, I'd like to stick with a 308 if possible just because I have all of the brass, dies, etc. I've watched around 1000000 youtube videos and there seems to be quite a few folks with the 308 pistols so I may give that a try but let me know your opinion on that if you would. My issue is I'm ignorant as to getting a hold of all of the parts and if I should buy them from one place, multiple dealers or just buy a finished rig and be done with it. Not terribly concerned on price but I probably don't need to go spending 2500 on one although that's pretty easy to do if you Cadillac it out. Looks like a 308 pistol may be best to build since most of the shelf rigs are 5.56 or 300BO that I've seen. BTW, the rig in your pic is about exactly what I had pictured for mine.

One thing I do want (or think I do) is to be able to switch the springs out to shoot subs and supers since I already load both. Opinions on that are welcome as well.

Last edited by kck; 06-28-2018 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:26 PM   #11
kkp005
Six Point

Hunt In: Madison County

Build a PSA 300 Blk like Jason at outdoor legacy has. Put a CMC trigger on it and you are good to go
kkp005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2018, 08:00 PM   #12
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Hmmmm canít say Iíve ever seen an AR10 pistol.

That doesnít sound fun to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2018, 09:01 PM   #13
bboswell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Hmmmm canít say Iíve ever seen an AR10 pistol.

That doesnít sound fun to me.

Agree.

If your stuck on 308 you want a rifle. If you want a 10.5Ē pistol go 300 BO or 223

Here is a 10.5Ē 300 BO I built with dependability and cost as my primary concerned. It has proven 100% dependable so far. My only accuracy concerns on this build was minute of bad guy inside 50 yards but have been pleasantly surprised by pretty good 100 yard groups.

Last edited by bboswell; 06-28-2018 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:13 PM   #14
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

If I were to build one, it would be a 6.8 SPC. Plenty of power for pigs and.....I just like the cartridge. Both my pig rifles are 6.8s and I've punched a bunch of pigs with them. The only ones that ever ran were the ones that were running when I shot them.
Drycreek3189 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2018, 09:23 PM   #15
lungbuster1985
Ten Point

10.5 inch 308, with a “brace”... I’m gonna agree with Mike D on that one. Plus it would be brutal on your suppressor baffles.

I’ve had pretty good luck with palmetto state builds too, they are decent for cheap. I like aero precision and spikes tactical lowers. Seekins, Larue, and Noveske are real nice, but you pay for it. Ive seen issues with Anderson QC, but nothing too bad. Lots and lots of good options out there, it’s a never ending worm hole.
lungbuster1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2018, 08:05 AM   #16
RF76
Eight Point

Hunt In: South Texas

I just finished building mine this week. I had an Aero Precision stripped lower with the Texas map and star engraved on it sitting on my safe. I got some of the father's day specials from Palmetto State Armory.
PSA 10.5 upper
SBA3 Tactical Pistol Brace build kit.

I like the way it turned out. The SBA3 Tactical Pistol Brace is niece, the fit within the lower and upper is tight with zero wiggle.
RF76 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2018, 08:44 AM   #17
kck
Eight Point

Quote:
Hmmmm can’t say I’ve ever seen an AR10 pistol.

That doesn’t sound fun to me.

This would be mostly shot subsonic but y'all know more about AR's than I do so if the 300BO is a better bet for a pistol then I can easily get dies and materials for that caliber as well.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:07 AM   #18
Gunnyart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gouldbusk, TX

As a long range bolt gun builder I'm sure you realize you're really killing the 308 by SBR or pistol "length'ing" it.
Same bullet in a BLK and way cheaper to build and good ammo choices both suppressed and unsuppressed.
Gunnyart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2018, 09:18 AM   #19
ahlongslide
Six Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.

Quote:
This would be mostly shot subsonic but y'all know more about AR's than I do so if the 300BO is a better bet for a pistol then I can easily get dies and materials for that caliber as well.
If itís mainly for subsonic then you should definitely go 300blk over 308. Thatís what it was designed to do. It is a waste of case capacity and unneeded weight in your gun to go large frame just to shoot subs.
If you want the most thump per round subsonic, then go 458 SOCOM or 50 Beowulf. But then I would suggest SBRing it.
ahlongslide is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2018, 09:58 AM   #20
ahlongslide
Six Point

I’ve owned lots of AR pistols. The only one that stuck is this 2a Armament Balios Lite in 300blk (very tempting to SBR it too.

Side note:
I can’t say enough good things about the omega 9k can. I wish I had 3 more of them.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:23 AM   #21
kck
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyart View Post
As a long range bolt gun builder I'm sure you realize you're really killing the 308 by SBR or pistol "length'ing" it.
Same bullet in a BLK and way cheaper to build and good ammo choices both suppressed and unsuppressed.
Since it would primarily be for subs I wasn't real concerned with that. My little 16.5" .308 I built for myself is great with subs (my golf course deer slayer) so that's why I wanted to stay with a .308 but it's sounding like the 300BO is the ticket for the pistol.

Last edited by kck; 06-29-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:26 AM   #22
kck
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahlongslide View Post
Iíve owned lots of AR pistols. The only one that stuck is this 2a Armament Balios Lite in 300blk (very tempting to SBR it too.

Side note:
I canít say enough good things about the omega 9k can. I wish I had 3 more of them.
Nice rig sir. I wouldn't mind having the 458 but I just don't want to go through getting another can right now so it's looking like y'all are giving me enough reason to go with the 300BO. Thanks for all the help fellas!
Old 06-29-2018, 10:29 AM   #23
kck
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
Agree.

If your stuck on 308 you want a rifle. If you want a 10.5Ē pistol go 300 BO or 223

Here is a 10.5Ē 300 BO I built with dependability and cost as my primary concerned. It has proven 100% dependable so far. My only accuracy concerns on this build was minute of bad guy inside 50 yards but have been pleasantly surprised by pretty good 100 yard groups.

Mr. Boswell, that's about the exact rig I'd like to build.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:44 AM   #24
ahlongslide
Six Point

Oh, and I’m sure you know this, but make sure you check “other” when transferring stripped lowers on a 4473
Old 06-29-2018, 11:01 AM   #25
kck
Eight Point

Quote:
Oh, and Iím sure you know this, but make sure you check ďotherĒ when transferring stripped lowers on a 4473
Yessir, checked on that as well but many thanks for the shout out on that. And entered as "Receiver" in the A&D book.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:20 AM   #26
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:

As others have mentioned if subsonic will be the main purpose of this build then 300 Blackout hands down.

A 220 grain Bullet under 1100 fps doesnít matter the case itís launched from. Additionally you will see more consistent velocities due to lower case volume of the 300 Blackout. Less unused space in the 300 BO case vs 308.

And then thereís the size and weight difference to consider.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:51 AM   #27
simsknives
Ten Point

Hunt In: walker, madison, grimes, menard co.

308 subs won't cycle the action where a 300blk subs will with a pistol gas length barrel not much point in using an ar platform if you plan on cycling it by hand anyway.
simsknives is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2018, 12:14 PM   #28
kck
Eight Point

Copy that gents. Decision made and 300BO it is. Thanks again for all of the input as well fellas!
Old 06-29-2018, 12:37 PM   #29
ahlongslide
Six Point

I just noticed your comment about switching springs for supers/subs. Just buy a nice adjustable gas block. It will be a lot less annoying. I mainly use SLRs and tune it to barely eject the weakest subs and leave it alone, but you can get one that you switch back and forth.
And here’s my daily LaRue plug, lol. If I were you, I’d just buy a LaRue UU kit in 300bo w/ 12” barrel. Use the order number to order a LaRue lower. Sell the stock and order a brace before the lower comes in. You won’t regret it.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:58 PM   #30
Scoobyh
Eight Point

Bboswell, what brace is that?
Scoobyh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2018, 02:10 PM   #31
kck
Eight Point

Quote:
I just noticed your comment about switching springs for supers/subs. Just buy a nice adjustable gas block. It will be a lot less annoying. I mainly use SLRs and tune it to barely eject the weakest subs and leave it alone, but you can get one that you switch back and forth.
And hereís my daily LaRue plug, lol. If I were you, Iíd just buy a LaRue UU kit in 300bo w/ 12Ē barrel. Use the order number to order a LaRue lower. Sell the stock and order a brace before the lower comes in. You wonít regret it.
Just learned a few things I did not know. Many thanks sir!! That sounds like a good route.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:42 PM   #32
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
Just learned a few things I did not know. Many thanks sir!! That sounds like a good route.

No need to switch any springs or have an adjustable gas block on a quality barrel with a pistol length gas system.

Also the optimum barrel length for the 300 Blackout is 8-9Ē.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:37 PM   #33
ahlongslide
Six Point

Sorry if I was misleading. The odds are good that it will function flawlessly without an adjustable gas block, I just like tuning mine with adjustable gas so that the buffer never bottoms out. It just makes for very soft/smooth shooting. Great for training the wife and kids.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:53 AM   #34
AgBass01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cuero, Brownwood

Here's my 300blk 10.5" barrel and the shockwave brace.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
AgBass01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2018, 09:08 AM   #35
kck
Eight Point

Quote:
No need to switch any springs or have an adjustable gas block on a quality barrel with a pistol length gas system.

Also the optimum barrel length for the 300 Blackout is 8-9Ē.

Mike, will it still work and cycle both supers and subs without beating anything up when shooting supers? I assume that's what Ahlongslide is referring to...
Old 07-01-2018, 12:46 PM   #36
ahlongslide
Six Point

Thumbs up

Quote:
Mike, will it still work and cycle both supers and subs without beating anything up when shooting supers? I assume that's what Ahlongslide is referring to...
It won't beat anything up either way. I used to never use adjustable gas blocks, but then I bought an AR that already had one in it. I tuned it like the instructions said and it was the smoothest/least recoiling AR I've ever felt. Now I have them on all 8 of my ARs.
Manufacturers don't want people saying their gun is unreliable, so they over-gas them. That way they won't short stroke on weaker loads.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:06 PM   #37
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
It won't beat anything up either way. I used to never use adjustable gas blocks, but then I bought an AR that already had one in it. I tuned it like the instructions said and it was the smoothest/least recoiling AR I've ever felt. Now I have them on all 8 of my ARs.

Manufacturers don't want people saying their gun is unreliable, so they over-gas them. That way they won't short stroke on weaker loads.

Quote:

I can only speak from my experience with my Noveske 8Ē blackout rifle. It shoots supers and subs, suppressed or unsuppressed reliably. But you would expect that out of a rifle like that.

I do agree with ahlongslide you arenít going to beat anything up shooting a mixture of supers and subs. Thatís what the buffer is there for. I do have one AR with an adjustable gas block because it was severely overgassed and once I tuned the block it does shoot very nice and soft. However on a gun where you may switch between supers and subs you will drive yourself crazy adjusting it every time you switch Ammo.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:45 AM   #38
Throwin' Darts
Ten Point

following
Throwin' Darts is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-02-2018, 02:29 PM   #39
kck
Eight Point

Quote:
I can only speak from my experience with my Noveske 8” blackout rifle. It shoots supers and subs, suppressed or unsuppressed reliably. But you would expect that out of a rifle like that.

I do agree with ahlongslide you aren’t going to beat anything up shooting a mixture of supers and subs. That’s what the buffer is there for. I do have one AR with an adjustable gas block because it was severely overgassed and once I tuned the block it does shoot very nice and soft. However on a gun where you may switch between supers and subs you will drive yourself crazy adjusting it every time you switch Ammo.

Mike, I think I've got just about what I need to put one together or make a finished purchase. However, what would y'all suggest for a buffer (who to buy from) to get something that will work with both subs and supers so that I wouldn't need to jack around with constantly adjusting a gas block? I don't think I necessarily need a $3000 Noveske or similar but I'll spend money on good equipment. Sounds like I may be better off just buying a finished product from a good manufacturer...
Old 07-05-2018, 10:52 AM   #40
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
Mike, I think I've got just about what I need to put one together or make a finished purchase. However, what would y'all suggest for a buffer (who to buy from) to get something that will work with both subs and supers so that I wouldn't need to jack around with constantly adjusting a gas block? I don't think I necessarily need a $3000 Noveske or similar but I'll spend money on good equipment. Sounds like I may be better off just buying a finished product from a good manufacturer...

Certainly no need to spend the $$ on a Noveske (unless you can and want to) I would just caution you about buying some of the cheaper brand stuff. But thereís no reason to not consider buying s Noveske barrel and building around it. They seem to have it figured out on the gas system.