Son of a $&$)@!! Frustrations!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
    At my wits end with my carpenter/framer. Now before you guys throw him under the bus, you have to understand that he is my cousin. He does incredible work and knows his stuff inside and out and I’ve only met one other guy that gets more ocd over 1/16th of an inch. He refuses to cut corners even when cutting a corner is the standard norm.

The guy has had many struggles in life and had a rough upbringing. He’s a great guy and very kind and respectful but he also has a few demons that he’s struggled with for a long time. I have multiple projects that I’m working on and several I’m bidding out and for the last 10 days he’s not been available. He’s let me know every day that he’s not coming but at the same time it’s pushing my jobs behind.

I pay him very well bc of his quality of work and he has every tool for any job. He gets paid every Friday for the work he’s done for the week and I’ve never not paid him. I believe in paying employees and workers no matter what. But I just don’t know how to handle this.

I’ve tried talking to him some but not in a harsh or rude way Bc he doesn’t respond well to that. My only option i can think of if want to keep him is to pay him at the end of every job like I do the rest of my contractors but maybe give home a draw for just enough to buy gas to get back and forth.

I have one other person that I can use in the area where my jobs are and I would because he’s the one other person that’s more **** over a sixteenth of an inch but he’s backed up several weeks and stays that way.

Any input or advice would be great and maybe I’m just ranting. It it’s tough lining up more work and keeping projects moving when I’m having to play role of the chief and the Indian.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Why do you need him to bid out jobs? That's your job/responsibility. He has said he isn't available but you keep asking him to be. He shouldn't have to be there. Regardless of when you pay him he might just be tired of getting pulled off his current job to go do your job for you at a new job.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
      You know what you need to do, it makes it harder when they are family.

Yep. This is the answer. He may do quality work but that doesn’t help when he doesn’t show up and puts you behind schedule. You will be the one to suffer in the long run, not him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Anxiety issues are tough to handle. I started to try and give advice, but erased it. Will say a prayer for him and you both. That is for sure a difficult situation you’ve described. I’ve worked in construction and know all too well the pressures from that alone.

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter007 View Post
          If he wont show up for work now then he wont show up later. It is more than likely this isnt a pay him more and he will do more thing. You will eventually find yourself right back at square one. Undependable people will leave you in a bind at the worst times. I would get rid of him and get a new framer. All his "skill" at framing isnt doing you any good when he is to lazy to show up.

I agree. And yes he is my framer. But he’s also my carpenter and he’s an even better carpenter.

Comment

Pay him per completed job.

Comment

Quality work is great, but when he doesn’t show up for 10 days you get no Work.

I would find me a new carpenter.

Comment

Originally posted by JHT View Post
                Why do you need him to bid out jobs? That's your job/responsibility. He has said he isn't available but you keep asking him to be. He shouldn't have to be there. Regardless of when you pay him he might just be tired of getting pulled off his current job to go do your job for you at a new job.

I need him to work on the jobs I have going so I can go bid other jobs. If he doesn’t show up I have to do the work and I’m not able to go oversee other jobs I have going and bid new ones. It’s hard to bid out a remodel with new addition, siding remodel, repair and window replacement with complete painting of a house, and a hand full of other ones if I’m running a framing gun and hanging lumber for 9 hours a day.

The remodel with new addition will require a framer, carpenter, tile/flooring guy, drywall guy, painter, electrician, plumber, and roofer. It’s a complete overhaul.

Comment

Originally posted by Worksalot View Post
                  Anxiety issues are tough to handle. I started to try and give advice, but erased it. Will say a prayer for him and you both. That is for sure a difficult situation you’ve described. I’ve worked in construction and know all too well the pressures from that alone.

Yeah it’s the anxiety mixed with his choices of coping with anxiety that are the problem.... the coping mechanism is what causes him to miss work....

Comment

So basically the guy is an undependable alcoholic or meth head. Either way you need to cut ties with the guy or hire another framer/carpenter to supplement the work being done while he is not there and just pay him a daily rate for the days he decides to work if you don't want to completely fire him. Then you are still making money and aren't in a bind. And you may want to step back and analyze is the money your losing worth the headache of dealing with family? Even if his work is slightly better is it that much better that your able to make up the lost money from him not showing up to work every day?

Comment

I'm also in the construction industry. Construction is a production driven business. That business should run like a well oiled machine to keep pace with production demands. If you have a bad part in your machine, it's time to replace that part.

Comment

Clearly he struggles with drugs IMO setting up bonuses etc is just enabling him its time he grows up and quit getting coddled like you’re doing if he can’t take the heat of not showing up to his job then like any other job fire him.

Comment

Son of a $&$)@!! Frustrations!!!!

Originally posted by jb5001 View Post
                          Why is he not showing up? Because he's busy with other work or personal matters?

He hasn’t shown up Bc he gets frustrated and anxiety and depressed. Usually he gets through it or just has needed a day to get on track. Or if I see he’s struggling or seems wound up too tight, I’ll let him go home early on a Friday if we are caught up on work. Has only happened once or twice in 4 months. But not showing up for several days hasn’t been an issue in a long time and never with me. And I’m the only person he’s working for.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                            Yeah it’s the anxiety mixed with his choices of coping with anxiety that are the problem.... the coping mechanism is what causes him to miss work....

This may be a dumb question, but is he a veteran? There is a place here in Houston that can help if he is.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                              Find a new framer..
                              Yup pretty simple

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                                This may be a dumb question, but is he a veteran? There is a place here in Houston that can help if he is.

Nope he’s not. Wish he was Bc there are some great resources. My brother is and is involved with helping veterans with every chance he gets. #22kill

Comment

Working...
                                X