Reloading- chasing speed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep going--
    I'd also drill into that 38 gr. range and see if you can tighten up even more.
    I use the IMR 4350 in mine and have Varget and 4831 to try faster and slower burn for kicks.
    With that longer barrel you might try something slower than the 4350.
    4831, RL19, Ramshot Hunter-- something in that range.

Comment

Shoot better targets to get better groups. I see a lot of vertical stringing. H 4831sc, or R16 should be considered. What brass are you using ??

Comment

Originally posted by Rem40x View Post
        Shoot better targets to get better groups. I see a lot of vertical stringing. H 4831sc, or R16 should be considered. What brass are you using ??

Brass is Hornady shot from this rifle, neck sized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would personally find a node at 2600+.

Comment

Somewhere between 41 and 42 gr of H4350 will be a nice tight node. Mine came in at 41.6 on Berger 140 hybrids. Don't know the velocity but it shoots right there with factory Sig match grade 140's. I'm guessing around 2700. Rifle is Bergara B14 HMR

Comment

Originally posted by viper3853 View Post
              I used H4350

I also have Varget
              IMR 4350
              Superformance

Try Reloader 26 if you can find it. I bet you will see a noticeable jump in velocity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

You should be able to get into the high 2600s easily with a 24 inch barrel. I was able to get the 143 ELDX to a little over 2700 out of a 22 inch barrel.

What were your velocities at the higher charge weights? Have you shot the factory loaded ELDX to compare those velocities too? Even the 2617 fps from the Hornady Black seems a little slow from your gun.

H4350 is a great powder for the Creedmoor, but if you don’t find a good load, I’d highly suggest Reloder 16 as an alternative. It has been a great powder for me in several different rifles.

Comment

As others have said keep going up. it will tighten back up a little higher than you went. You are at the lower node there will be a higher one also.

Comment

You need to break your load steps down into smaller steps in my opinion. 1gr increments it too large. I typically do my steps at 1% of the max listed load. I also don't rely on the book for max charge. Let the brass/primers tell you where you need to stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark116 View Post
                      As others have said keep going up. it will tighten back up a little higher than you went. You are at the lower node there will be a higher one also.
                      This and let the chrono tell you max. Anything over 2700 is likely too much...
                      I have loaded and shot 5 CM’s and still have 3.
                      I also would go up in .3 increments at this point. Looking at your information I would say you will get where you want at 42-42.5.

Comment

IF it was a literal one hole group I might consider keeping that load but thats quite slow. Id run a ladder test or Saterlee method for velocity then work on your accuracy.

Comment

My advice:

Disregard group size at first
                          Increase charge weight to find a faster “velocity” node
                          Full size the cases, not just the neck.
                          Use H4350
                          After finding a stable MV (ie lower SD)
                          Play with seating depth to refine group

If you want more out of it you can further refine the increments you are using for the above. If you want more specific feel free to send me a message and I’ll provide some data for you to consider.

Comment

Hornady brass no good. Try lapua or Peterson. Full length resize .

Comment

Hornady brass is fine. It’s not the best, but it will give 6 or more loadings if treated properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Rswan13 View Post
                                You should be able to get into the high 2600s easily with a 24 inch barrel. I was able to get the 143 ELDX to a little over 2700 out of a 22 inch barrel.

What were your velocities at the higher charge weights? Have you shot the factory loaded ELDX to compare those velocities too? Even the 2617 fps from the Hornady Black seems a little slow from your gun.

H4350 is a great powder for the Creedmoor, but if you don’t find a good load, I’d highly suggest Reloder 16 as an alternative. It has been a great powder for me in several different rifles.

I got into 2668FPS at 41.5 but group wasn’t what I wanted it.

Comment

Working...
                                X