What kind of wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of wood

I need to tap into the brain of some of you wood workers.
    My wife wants me to build a table to go on our patio. The patio is covered but is still exposed to the elements, What is a good wood to use that can be painted or stained and is durable and is some what already smooth. Also something that isn't going to expand and contract.
    I can do some sanding but don't have a planer.

I built a table out of cedar about 10 years ago. It is showing its age, but is still solid as a rock. Really just needs to be sanded down and clear coated again. My fault for not keeping up with it. I did have to plane it down though.

Comment

Wood will always expand and contract. You have to build it compensate for that. (ie dont use pocket screws to put the top together)

Cedar is typically the best(that is low cost) for outdoor. It will last a long time being covered.

Find a real hardwood supplier. They can give you surfaced boards and it will probably be cheaper than HomeDepot or Lowes.

Comment

I built one out of pine, & cedar. Top is pine, legs are cedar. Stained and sealed. fixing to be 2 years old. Looks great still.

Comment

This is the latest one I built. Metal base.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Comment

I would recommend using cedar. Its a hard wood and if you sand it down and seal the top with some spray on glue and then add some 2 part epoxy about 1 inch thick it will last forever.

Comment

If you want to stain it, spanish cedar. If you want to paint it, they make a waterproof MDF that will be smooth.

Comment

Originally posted by mmoses View Post
                Wood will always expand and contract. You have to build it compensate for that. (ie dont use pocket screws to put the top together)

Cedar is typically the best(that is low cost) for outdoor. It will last a long time being covered.

Find a real hardwood supplier. They can give you surfaced boards and it will probably be cheaper than HomeDepot or Lowes.
                How do you put the top together without pocket screws? The plans she found called for pockets screws?
                What kind of wood is that on the your table with the metal legs?

Comment

Cedar is your best bet.

Comment

Teak!

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                      Teak!
                      Expensive but beautiful. Heart redwood would be a good choice but expensive also.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad74 View Post
                        How do you put the top together without pocket screws? The plans she found called for pockets screws?
                        What kind of wood is that on your table with the metal legs?
                        The top is cedar. Western Cedar, I think.

I would use dominos, dowels, or biscuits. Plus lots of Titebond 3. If the plans call for a breadboard end, Id skip that.

Comment

Cypress?

Comment

Ipe.

Comment

Originally posted by mmoses View Post
                              The top is cedar. Western Cedar, I think.

I would use dominos, dowels, or biscuits. Plus lots of Titebond 3. If the plans call for a breadboard end, Id skip that.
                              Why yes it does call for a breadboard end. Why skip it?

Comment

Working...
                              X