Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-13-2020, 02:37 PM   #1
glen1978
Eight Point

Hunt In: Buena Vista, CO
Default Wanting to Start own Business

As I have posted we are moving back to Texas end of the month. Wanting to start my own business. We will have VERY little bills, no CC, no vehicle, no medical, smallish mortgage ($700ish). My wife has worked for the prison system / Sheriffs Dept up here and I dont see any issue with her doing that in E. Tx. There are 4 Sheriffs Departments within 25 miles and TDCJ has a smallish drug treatment facility 20 miles away that I think is always hiring. Long story short she can more than likely pay the biggest part of the bills and keep health insurance going for the family. Im just racking my brain tryin to think of something to get into. Im a mechanic currently and dont mind that but dont want to do that on my own. There is really nothing I cant do I guess. Before we moved to Colorado I had a very small dirt work business (tractor w/ FEL and JD 550 dozer). I did OK but worked in the oilfield and it was mainly for playing on and getting my place how I wanted it but it did make the machinery payments when I wanted it to. I kinda dig the idea of doing dirtwork, landscape, fencing, etc. I already have a Dodge diesel and HD bumper pull for a skid steer. I can do all my own mechanic work, maintenance, welding, fab, etc and once again I need to do dirtwork on my own place and build fence. Plus I will have my own shop at the house. Another thing is Id like to involve my kids as they get older and have something to pass on to them. They are 15 and 12. Any other ideas? Ive though of a gutter machine, real estate, all kinda things. Throw em out there.

Last edited by glen1978; 10-13-2020 at 02:43 PM.
glen1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2020, 03:46 PM   #2
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Guess it depends what you want to do, and how much liquid cash you have
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2020, 04:02 PM   #3
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

Guessing off your skill set, I would suggest becoming a licensed electrician or HVAC
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2020, 04:07 PM   #4
glen1978
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
Guessing off your skill set, I would suggest becoming a licensed electrician or HVAC
That takes years of working under someone and being apprentice. Id say if I had a weakpoint its electrical.....lol! Kinda knocks those two out.
Old 10-13-2020, 04:20 PM   #5
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties

Dirt work, tree clearing, maybe installing septic systems, with your skill set there are plenty things you could get into, good luck.
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2020, 04:22 PM   #6
3whunt
Six Point

Hunt In: SE Oklahoma

BrianL is right. The shear cost of doing dirt work right is insane upfront. I’d do what he said and moonlight outside of the apprenticeship. The dumbest guy I know is **** near the richest I know doing HVAC. The other is an electrician. Sheep these days pay for stuff you could do I. 6 weeks.

Good luck to ya. I spent many summers on clear creek and the Arkansas River just north of BV. It’s a beautiful place that is/was overlooked when I was a teen.
3whunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2020, 04:26 PM   #7
Hooverfb
Ten Point

I'd start with studying the market your in. Is their a local problem that doesnt have many solutions? Is there something that you can provide that doesnt have much competition? Are you trying to get into commercial bids for that work or letting residents contact you? Trying to have a local business or something you can scale?
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2020, 04:58 PM   #8
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Ac business is saturated here Glen. Your either top dog were they don’t even ask the price, or your dirt cheap and suck... but they don’t care cause of price.... OR your one of the 4,000 in the middle cutting each other’s throats and starving. Lol

Things needed in this area:

1. A plumber that’s worth calling twice.

2. Aerobic system installation. Lots of construction and not a lot in that market.... or none with name recognition.

Several mechanical positions probably hiring

... and if not, I have a fabulous job opportunity for ya!!!!
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2020, 05:00 PM   #9
glpoe1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Scurry Co.

Patio covers, tractor sheds, shops, almost any kind of metal work is a pretty good business. Think "no job is too small" do great work and word will get around but it will take some time. Stop by local lumber yards (not HD or Lowes type) and talk with them and leave your information. Seems there is lots of this type of work if you are skilled, treat customers right and willing to bust your butt. Getting jobs done when you say you will, show up when you say you will and charge a fair price you should do OK. Word of mouth will be your best salesman if your work is good.
glpoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2020, 05:01 PM   #10
glen1978
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
Dirt work, tree clearing, maybe installing septic systems, with your skill set there are plenty things you could get into, good luck.
Thanks, Im not trying to get into commercial type big money, big crew deal. Septic possibly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3whunt View Post
BrianL is right. The shear cost of doing dirt work right is insane upfront. Iíd do what he said and moonlight outside of the apprenticeship. The dumbest guy I know is **** near the richest I know doing HVAC. The other is an electrician. Sheep these days pay for stuff you could do I. 6 weeks.

Good luck to ya. I spent many summers on clear creek and the Arkansas River just north of BV. Itís a beautiful place that is/was overlooked when I was a teen.
Ive always said those are good paying careers. Just trying to get somebody to take you under their wing. Im 41 so the days are numbered...lol! Yes that is a beautiful area!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooverfb View Post
I'd start with studying the market your in. Is their a local problem that doesnt have many solutions? Is there something that you can provide that doesnt have much competition? Are you trying to get into commercial bids for that work or letting residents contact you? Trying to have a local business or something you can scale?
Good point. The thing is nowadays there are so many people moving to the rural areas. Nobody wants to answer the phone or work for that matter. I want to get the smaller stuff, stay as busy as I want to. Not trying to get into commercial type stuff. We dont need a lot of money to survive but would rather line my pockets vs someone else.
Old 10-13-2020, 05:03 PM   #11
rut-ro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

What ever you decide to do, commit 110%. Dont half ash it. Good luck man I hope you and the family the best.
rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2020, 05:07 PM   #12
glen1978
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post
Ac business is saturated here Glen. Your either top dog were they donít even ask the price, or your dirt cheap and suck... but they donít care cause of price.... OR your one of the 4,000 in the middle cutting each otherís throats and starving. Lol

Things needed in this area:

1. A plumber thatís worth calling twice.

2. Aerobic system installation. Lots of construction and not a lot in that market.... or none with name recognition.

Several mechanical positions probably hiring

... and if not, I have a fabulous job opportunity for ya!!!!
1. Again plumber you are getting into licensed trades and have to have apprentice under someone.

2. The septic system is something that isnt hard to do, will dig into that. Think that kinda goes hand in hand with dirtwork. I know there are several around the area that are into dirtwork but I doubt half of them would call you back.

3. I can always get a job turning wrenches, just not something I want to do....dont care for newer vehicles.

4. Yeah I dont care for your job opportunity......LOL! Id have to be Vienna sausage lunch / dinner poor before I did that again I think. I love the rest of the work and would probably do that in a second. Once a Boumatic milker goes in my hand Im OUT!
Old 10-13-2020, 05:14 PM   #13
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

I think something like this would work in E.Tx
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2020, 06:30 PM   #14
PassnItOn
Ten Point

Hunt In: South

I have a Woodmaster planer/molder for sale in the classifieds. Some folks have a pretty good side gig using them to make crown molding and trim. Was the plan for my dad when he retired but he is enjoying retirement too much.
PassnItOn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2020, 08:51 PM   #15
Kmiles84
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen1978 View Post
2. The septic system is something that isnt hard to do, will dig into that. Think that kinda goes hand in hand with dirtwork. I know there are several around the area that are into dirtwork but I doubt half of them would call you back.
Unless you have a installer license your looking at two years to get one. Definitely a good industry to be in. In Montgomery County there are over 100 registered installers, not sure where you are located in regards to that.
Kmiles84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2020, 09:04 PM   #16
glen1978
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmiles84 View Post
Unless you have a installer license your looking at two years to get one. Definitely a good industry to be in. In Montgomery County there are over 100 registered installers, not sure where you are located in regards to that.
**** its an open book test in Colorado. Im in Wood County.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:12 PM   #17
Kmiles84
Eight Point

Quote:
I can’t speak for up there. You have to test for installer 1 and hold that license for 1 year with 3 installs to sit for installer 2 or be an apprentice for 2 years. Installer 1 can only do conventionals and installer 2 can do everything. In our county (not sure about your area) we probably do 1-2 conventionals a month and another 150-180 aerobic a month. You should look into it for sure. Search TCEQ license requirements.

Last edited by Kmiles84; 10-13-2020 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:17 PM   #18
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties

Quote:
You can maybe find someone to work under and install septic systems, it is not rocket science, just remember **** runs down hill, lol.
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2020, 09:20 PM   #19
dosrobles
Six Point

Hunt In: Bertram

Domestic water conditioning is a good business. The electric part is generally plugging into 110 vac. I think the water in East Texas is pretty soft. People with their own wells May run into sulfur smells or taste. There is pretty simple equipment you can use to deal with that. Installing “under sink” filtration or RO cartridges is also pretty easy.
dosrobles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2020, 09:23 PM   #20
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Killing Stuff These Days

Odd pm inbound.................
Johnny Dangerr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2020, 09:30 PM   #21
glen1978
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmiles84 View Post
I canít speak for up there. You have to test for installer 1 and hold that license for 1 year with 3 installs to sit for installer 2 or be an apprentice for 2 years. Installer 1 can only do conventionals and installer 2 can do everything. In our county (not sure about your area) we probably do 1-2 conventionals a month and another 150-180 aerobic a month. You should look into it for sure. Search TCEQ license requirements.
Most septics up here are conventional and most leaning towards Infiltrator type vs rock and pipe.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:31 PM   #22
glen1978
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
Odd pm inbound.................
Send it. I work in a prison. Ive seen odd.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:33 PM   #23
Kmiles84
Eight Point

Quote:
Most septics up here are conventional and most leaning towards Infiltrator type vs rock and pipe.
Good deal. People are always going to need a septic or some kind of wastewater treatment. Not a bad gig to be involved in. Good luck sir
Old 10-13-2020, 09:54 PM   #24
cvanbrunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jack County

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosrobles View Post
Domestic water conditioning is a good business. The electric part is generally plugging into 110 vac. I think the water in East Texas is pretty soft. People with their own wells May run into sulfur smells or taste. There is pretty simple equipment you can use to deal with that. Installing ďunder sinkĒ filtration or RO cartridges is also pretty easy.

Just remember RO water is corrosive, run that through black pipe and itíll eat holes in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cvanbrunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2020, 10:20 PM   #25
hopedale
Pope & Young

Hunt In: WMAs

Quote:
Iím a mechanic currently.

I had a very small dirt work business (tractor w/ FEL and JD 550 dozer).

Worked in the oilfield

I dig the idea of doing dirtwork, landscape, fencing, etc.

I already have a Dodge diesel and HD bumper pull for a skid steer.

I will have my own shop at the house.

Iíve thought of a gutter machine, real estate, all kinda things.

Iíd like to involve my kids as they get older. They are 15 and 12.
Glen,

In grabbing the key items in your original post, it would seem you're ready to get into the dirt business.

Think someone else said the price for dirt work is sky high right now. If that's the case it leads me to believe there is a shortage of folks that know what they are doing.
hopedale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2020, 10:34 PM   #26
TA_Fab
Six Point

Pick what your good at, the work will speak for itself. Donít forget insurance and LLC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TA_Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2020, 07:15 AM   #27
rut-ro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

Also if you are not afraid to deal with the deceased. You may want to check with the local Medical Examiners office as a part time investigator. You do not need to to be a certified peace officer and you can make good side money doing it. Ive got a couple buddies that do it and make an extra 34-40k a year depending on how much extra they want to work.

Of course you will not be able to pass onto your kids or get the
Involved.
rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2020, 09:30 AM   #28
glen1978
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rut-ro View Post
Also if you are not afraid to deal with the deceased. You may want to check with the local Medical Examiners office as a part time investigator. You do not need to to be a certified peace officer and you can make good side money doing it. Ive got a couple buddies that do it and make an extra 34-40k a year depending on how much extra they want to work.

Of course you will not be able to pass onto your kids or get the
Involved.
I was in the EMT field for awhile and 8 years of Dept of Corrections. Ive seen my share.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:35 AM   #29
Acameron52
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman & Loving

Do something fun!
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2020, 09:36 AM   #30
deerplanter
Ten Point

When I lived in East Texas years ago I wished that I had started a lube oil change/inspection place. You could even do brake jobs. I know a couple of people that have been successful with it but it depends on the area.
deerplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2020, 10:44 AM   #31
glen1978
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerplanter View Post
When I lived in East Texas years ago I wished that I had started a lube oil change/inspection place. You could even do brake jobs. I know a couple of people that have been successful with it but it depends on the area.
Thats basically the shop I run now for the State of Colorado plus we do metal fab. We just dont have the time or the experienced inmates to dig too far into them as we let them do the work under our supervision. We do oil/filter/fluids, brakes, tires, ball joints, struts, minor mechanic stuff, etc. There isnt alot of money in changing oil. Its the upsale of other worn components when you are under there or doing a tire rotate that make it worth while. Have a friend up here in Colorado that runs that exact same shop for the public plus an alignment rack that stays swamped and keeps himself plus 3 guys busy. I think something like this plus having the ability to do some fab work, welding, etc would do well. This is the same work I have been doing all my life and kinda enjoy it. I have no desire to get into diagnostics or the higher end new stuff but unfortunately everything is headed that way. They all still need tires and brakes and minor mechanical things though. Pretty sure there is NO ONE that works on small engines or chainsaws / weedeaters around or ATV's for that matter. I have always excelled at my jobs because I have the "yeah I can fix that" attitude....from golf carts to chainsaws to an 18 wheeler.
Old 10-14-2020, 01:13 PM   #32
Montec man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hare/Granger, Tx P.S. Theres no deer in Hare

Taxidermy.
Montec man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2020, 01:36 PM   #33
glen1978
Eight Point

Quote: