Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-10-2020, 12:07 AM   #1
Hooverfb
Ten Point

Default Absurdity

Was just threatened by a drunk guy and his wife down the road. In my understanding, the law has big no nos surrounding alcohol and firearms. Multiple witnesses as I had kids leaving my house after bible study ( who he initially started the altercation with). He even left his vehicle and wanted physical altercation (which was hair raising as once you're fiddling around in vehicle I have no idea what you're doing). Luckily no ones hurt but when asked if I wanted to press charges I felt like I should, he literally lives a handful of houses down the road, and the way he shoved his wife around sure made it seem like household violence is regular there.
DA nixed it. Cop was great, said they have no idea why they'd not run with the charges.
people have been charged for less. Way less.

If you dont bother voting, or have been frustrated with the system in harris county, I strongly urge you to atleast vote GOP for the DA office.

Random rant over. Wouldn't mind feedback on whether that's the norm for something like this? Still just bothered by the whole thing.
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2020, 12:21 AM   #2
kae006
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, Wyoming

This was confusing. Where did the alcohol and firearms come in?
kae006 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2020, 12:29 AM   #3
Aggiehunter08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

Harris County folks sure need to vote!
Aggiehunter08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2020, 12:29 AM   #4
Hooverfb
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kae006 View Post
This was confusing. Where did the alcohol and firearms come in?
Guy was drunk as all get out. So drunk driving. Threatened to go home get his gun and blow my brains out. Got out of his vehicle and wanted to fight
Old 10-10-2020, 12:37 AM   #5
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Trinity County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooverfb View Post
Guy was drunk as all get out. So drunk driving. Threatened to go home get his gun and blow my brains out. Got out of his vehicle and wanted to fight

Fight him. If he had to ďgo home to get a gunĒ heís behind the 8 ball. Iíve got one right here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2020, 12:43 AM   #6
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Your story is confusing . What kind of altercation did he start with the kids leaving your house? This apparently happened some time ago?
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2020, 12:43 AM   #7
Hooverfb
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post
Fight him. If he had to ďgo home to get a gunĒ heís behind the 8 ball. Iíve got one right here.

Hahaha I mean I was ready if I had to, but with a bunch of younger kids around was focused on de-escalating.
Old 10-10-2020, 12:44 AM   #8
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Trinity County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooverfb View Post
Hahaha I mean I was ready if I had to, but with a bunch of younger kids around was focused on de-escalating.

Thatís because youíre a good dad. Well done.

curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2020, 12:45 AM   #9
Hooverfb
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post
Your story is confusing . What kind of altercation did he start with the kids leaving your house? This apparently happened some time ago?
Few hours ago. Blocked in one of the kids cause he swore his brights were on, just the newer truck lights that are bright. Would not let it go. all I did was tell him to let it go and leave. Was not happy that I told him to go
Old 10-10-2020, 12:46 AM   #10
Burnadell
Pope & Young

How did this have time to get to the DA to have him/her refuse to prosecute???
Old 10-10-2020, 12:50 AM   #11
Hooverfb
Ten Point

Quote:
How did this have time to get to the DA to have him/her refuse to prosecute???
I dunno. Just relaying what the cops told me. That the DAs office wouldn't take it.
Old 10-10-2020, 12:56 AM   #12
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Does not make sense that the DA's office would be open that time of night for them to refuse to accept the complaint. Sumpin doesn't sound right. Sounds like the cop didn't want to do the paperwork or whatever they have to do when you file charges. I imagine you can still file charges; shouldn't have to make that decision on the spot. At the same time, I doubt that the dude would get much thrown at him. I would have thought the cop should have arrested him on the spot, but he may have been ready to get off duty.
Old 10-10-2020, 01:08 AM   #13
Hooverfb
Ten Point

Quote:
Does not make sense that the DA's office would be open that time of night for them to refuse to accept the complaint. Sumpin doesn't sound right. Sounds like the cop didn't want to do the paperwork or whatever they have to do when you file charges. I imagine you can still file charges; shouldn't have to make that decision on the spot. At the same time, I doubt that the dude would get much thrown at him. I would have thought the cop should have arrested him on the spot, but he may have been ready to get off duty.
Possibly. Have no idea. Dad was in town so he came to stop by, driving away he said theres 4 cops sitting, 2 south of the guys house and 2 north of it. So I can atleast rest easy for a bit.

I should mention they said theres now a "trespassing order" or something on that guy, and if hes on our sidewalk I call and he gets arrested, no questions asked. They did file a report and gave me the case number, dispatch number to call if he bothered us more, etc.

Last edited by Hooverfb; 10-10-2020 at 01:10 AM.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:42 AM   #14
big_smith
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady, Rocksprings, New Mexico

Harris Co has Prosecutors on duty 24hrs a day. Officers have to call in to make an arrest. I have no idea how they Police in that county.
big_smith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2020, 08:56 AM   #15
crxshooter
Four Point

Hunt In: Our ranch and Kansas

Quote:
The DA's office in Harris County is open 24/7/365. They have an intake division that handles calls "after hours, weekends, and holidays". My guess is the officer called intake on a cell, spoke with an assistant DA working and got a refusal.
crxshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2020, 08:57 AM   #16
sbushee
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Outside

What exactly did the guy do to threaten you? Did it display a firearm? Did he say something like, “I’ll shoot you” or “I’ve got a gun”?
Interesting that cop on scene has to confer with the DA before he takes an offense report. That’s a recipe for disaster
sbushee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2020, 09:02 AM   #17
GA Bowhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tree/blind/ground

I would get a copy of the police report and go talk to the DA, in person, on Monday.

If the DA refused to press charges I would salt the earth.
GA Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2020, 09:15 AM   #18
EZ-10RANCH
Ten Point

Hunt In: Irion, Kimble & Fayette counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Bowhunter View Post
I would get a copy of the police report and go talk to the DA, in person, on Monday.

This is Harris county Texas, look up the location. I spent the first 35 years of my life there, so I can say itís a complete crap hole and run by the absolute wrong people.
EZ-10RANCH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2020, 09:27 AM   #19
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_smith View Post
Harris Co has Prosecutors on duty 24hrs a day. Officers have to call in to make an arrest. I have no idea how they Police in that county.
We dont much any more. However, there has to be a willingness on the LE part to file the charge. I feel like given one half of the story, I (and most of the guys I worked the streets with) could have filed that charge.

Terroristic threat is a hard charge to get. Your complaintant has to say the right words and all that needs to be conveyed to the idiot on the other end of the phone. If the drunk needed to go to jail, you cant lolly gag around on the phone. Sometimes you gotta be a salesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ-10RANCH View Post
This is Harris county Texas, look up the location. I spent the first 35 years of my life there, so I can say itís a complete crap hole and run by the absolute wrong people.
Truth.

And good luck marching down there with the report and getting anywhere. You'll be out a whole day and 100 bucks for nothing

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2020, 09:27 AM   #20
Tommyh
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Bowhunter View Post

The DA is Kim Ogg and as left as they come. The judicial bench has done a bit of activist reform as well.
Tommyh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2020, 09:33 AM   #21
Randell
Eight Point

Hunt In: Brazos county

Ogg......vote or you end up in this situation
Randell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2020, 09:44 AM   #22
Daddy D
Eight Point

My dog died. Please send prayers.
Daddy D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2020, 11:19 AM   #23
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbushee View Post
What exactly did the guy do to threaten you? Did it display a firearm? Did he say something like, ďIíll shoot youĒ or ďIíve got a gunĒ?
Interesting that cop on scene has to confer with the DA before he takes an offense report. Thatís a recipe for disaster
Agree....seems weird.

IN on this one.
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2020, 11:30 AM   #24
myway
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kent county

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbushee View Post
What exactly did the guy do to threaten you? Did it display a firearm? Did he say something like, ďIíll shoot youĒ or ďIíve got a gunĒ?
Interesting that cop on scene has to confer with the DA before he takes an offense report. Thatís a recipe for disaster
Post #4.
myway is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2020, 11:37 AM   #25
Greenheadless
Ten Point

Hunt In: Liberty County

Pre Ogg, I had someone threaten me in the same way, and they were charged with a 3rd degree felony. Other crimes just like mentioned were taking place at the same time. Defendant went to court and pled and was charged.

This seems to be a trend now that we have an activist like Ogg. I hear this same story over and over. They have no problem prosecuting things like business trying to stay open during a plandemic though.

Elections have consequences.
Greenheadless is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2020, 02:48 PM   #26
Burnadell
Pope & Young

I don't know anything about law enforcement, but it sure sounds like the guy should have been arrested for drunk and disorderly conduct. Plus, he should have gotten an arse whuppin' delivered!

Last edited by Burnadell; 10-10-2020 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-10-2020, 03:29 PM   #27
Leaverrite
Six Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Vote Mary Nan Huffman!
Leaverrite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top