Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-24-2020, 07:52 AM   #1
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion co, Navarro co, Pecos co
Default Best mattress for back pain?

Like a lot of guys I battle back pain. Mainly lower but it has gotten to where I ach from top to bottom. My back got really bad again about a yr ago and had to go throw PT to get straightened back out. We decided to try a different bed and went all out and bought a sleep number bed. We have had it prob 9-10 months and I still havenít found an elevation or setting that helps me sleep thru the night and not be sore in the morning. Iím pretty big at 6í3 325 so need something that will hold up to my weight and not breakdown. Any suggestions? Iím to the point where price is no object, I just want to be able to sleep straight thru the night.
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2020, 08:18 AM   #2
Big Lee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

I’m preaching to the choir here. But. Several years ago being nearly the same weight. When I began dropping pounds my back and knees almost never hurt.
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2020, 08:24 AM   #3
ofishil
Ten Point

No mattress suggestions since we both have sleep numbers. However I started taking something called Melatonin. It seems to put me in a deep sleep....
ofishil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2020, 08:39 AM   #4
WT
Ten Point

Same here. No suggestion on the mattress since I'm on the hunt for a new one myself, but an inversion table may be of some help in the meantime.
WT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2020, 08:48 AM   #5
RutnBuk
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mills/Brown county

We just bought a Nectar lush. I forgot how nice it is to sleep all night.
RutnBuk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2020, 08:49 AM   #6
ren087
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Zinus mattress.
ren087 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2020, 10:52 AM   #7
beefiedoubleoh
Four Point

Hunt In: Leon County, Hag

How many others have tried a bed in a box option? I'm looking at hybrids now...
beefiedoubleoh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2020, 11:12 AM   #8
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

I have back problems like most who have abused their bodies. But I can fully function daily, play golf etc with no problem. Just takes me a while to get the night aches out in am. I’m a heavy sleeper also, only thing that wakes me up is body aches. We spent a small fortune on the sleep number and adjustable bases but I’m to the point where I need to find something else.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:17 AM   #9
skinsfan
Eight Point

Hunt In: Goliad/Medina County

I’m 6’6” and 285 and we have bought two of the $300 Zinus off of Amazon and have been happy. Only kept first about 2.5 years but for $300 I’m ok with that. No springs so you can burn it don’t even have to haul it off!
skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2020, 11:29 AM   #10
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

There are several similar threads on this and just like I have posted in those, I'll tell you what stopped my waking up with back pain in the morning and back pain when trying to sleep was a water bed. Been sleeping on one for over 40 years now... best thing I ever did for my back. Don't have the baffles or motionless or any of that. It's just a king size big plastic bag full of water... Took me a while to figure out just how full to make it to give me the sleep comfort I needed, but since then, it's been good.
When I used to travel a lot, a week of hotel beds, and I'd be in pure misery until I got back home and my water bed... I'm full sized too at 6'-3" and at one time knocking on the 300 pound mark... I'm at 240 now and that helps too...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2020, 11:33 AM   #11
centex_aggie
Ten Point

Hunt In: Milam County, Williamson County, Burnet County

OP- have you ever tried a Tempur Pedic? Seems like several friends have gotten one and it helped relieve those issues. I have one but have never had back pain so I can't speak to it personally. However I sleep very well on it.
centex_aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2020, 11:37 AM   #12
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
There are several similar threads on this and just like I have posted in those, I'll tell you what stopped my waking up with back pain in the morning and back pain when trying to sleep was a water bed. Been sleeping on one for over 40 years now... best thing I ever did for my back. Don't have the baffles or motionless or any of that. It's just a king size big plastic bag full of water... Took me a while to figure out just how full to make it to give me the sleep comfort I needed, but since then, it's been good.
When I used to travel a lot, a week of hotel beds, and I'd be in pure misery until I got back home and my water bed... I'm full sized too at 6'-3" and at one time knocking on the 300 pound mark... I'm at 240 now and that helps too...

Man its been a whole lotta years since I've heard anybody mention a waterbed. Back in the 70s and 80s it was all the rage...
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2020, 12:18 PM   #13
LOC4L
Four Point

Hunt In: Where I can

My wife and I purchased the middle grade Temperpedic, son of a gun wasn't cheap but I like it and it helps her back pain from Scoliosis
LOC4L is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2020, 12:21 PM   #14
Bazo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where I can

We bought a Doctors Choice from Denver Mattress a few months ago and all of our morning pain is done.
Bazo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2020, 12:22 PM   #15
BW412
Eight Point

I don't have any answers but I do have a mattress guy in Arlington that will take care of you. Shoot me a message if you want his contact.
BW412 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2020, 12:32 PM   #16
7sdad
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Man its been a whole lotta years since I've heard anybody mention a waterbed. Back in the 70s and 80s it was all the rage...
Not really for the sleeping part !
7sdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2020, 12:45 PM   #17
wsteffen
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jewitt, TX or any where else I can find to go

We both like our sleep number. Expensive but helped me, mine was a hip problem.
wsteffen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2020, 12:52 PM   #18
GARY
Administrator

Hunt In: Lavaca, Alberta and where ever Aironeout takes me!

Three things for me (chronic back issues and already had one major surgery)

1) Sleep by number bed has helped me (partially because I can adjust my side of bed for me (I seem to have landed on soft) and wife can have her own setting (much firmer)

Saying this...it doesn't fix skeletal issues. My recently flared up and instead of undergoing the knife again (still potential), after physical therapy allowed me to go to work, and somewhat return to normal (I didn't play golf for two years)…

2) Lost 30 lbs (doctor told me to think like 10lbs on stomach is 100lbs on back strain over long haul.
3) Starting eating cleaner diet - less sugars and carbs for most part. This alone has reduced my inflammation a great deal.

Not fixed, but this has been best solution for me to lead a more productive life.

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GARY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2020, 12:55 PM   #19
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sdad View Post

If this bed's a sloshin don't come a knockin'!!
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2020, 01:05 PM   #20
7sdad
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ren087 View Post
Zinus mattress.
Which one?

They have your 10", 12" The Cloud, The Green Tea or your Gel Infused.
7sdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2020, 01:05 PM   #21
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sdad View Post
Quote:
If this bed's a sloshin don't come a knockin'!!

I must admit, in our younger days we did enjoy makin' waves... Now if there's anything goin' on, it's on a different bed in the guest room... That dang waterbed is HARD to "manuver around on"!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2020, 07:43 PM   #22
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARY View Post
Three things for me (chronic back issues and already had one major surgery)

1) Sleep by number bed has helped me (partially because I can adjust my side of bed for me (I seem to have landed on soft) and wife can have her own setting (much firmer)

Saying this...it doesn't fix skeletal issues. My recently flared up and instead of undergoing the knife again (still potential), after physical therapy allowed me to go to work, and somewhat return to normal (I didn't play golf for two years)Ö

2) Lost 30 lbs (doctor told me to think like 10lbs on stomach is 100lbs on back strain over long haul.
3) Starting eating cleaner diet - less sugars and carbs for most part. This alone has reduced my inflammation a great deal.

Not fixed, but this has been best solution for me to lead a more productive life.
Iíve been working on the low to no sugar thing for a couple yrs now, not a lot of carbs either. Iím still a pretty big fella(big boned)lol. Just overall body aches when sleeping. Different spots and different kinds of pain depending on how I sleep that night. Only thing in common is sleeping in the bed.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:46 PM   #23
Hooverfb
Ten Point

I've said it in the last 10 of these guys, but 1. Build or buy a bed with more support. I built one with slats every inch. Even with a crappy mattress it was way better. 2. I like my bear mattress. They're way firmer than all the fluffy stuff nowadays that made my back hurt.
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2020, 08:12 PM   #24
fulmer34
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke

I had the battle of waking up with lower back pain, after going through 3 mattresses in 5 years my wife bought me one of these pillows and it seems to be doing the trick. So you may be chasing the wrong problem. Lot cheaper to try pillows than mattresses too.
https://sleepsutera.com/
fulmer34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2020, 08:38 PM   #25
lungbuster1985
Ten Point

Im short and fat, with a couple degenerated disks. We switched From a traditional spring to one of the bed in a box mattresses. Iím pretty sure itís a Casper brand. We actually ordered it from Costco. Ended up with a gift card when we bought a new car, so we were only out of pocket for 100 bucks. I figured it was worth a shot to try the memory foam style. I actually like it a lot, I barely ever wake up with my back hurting anymore. My wife doesnít like it as much, but she deals with it since it makes me feel better. I still stretch, and ride the inversion table regularly to keep everything decompressed. But I can easily say I like the memory foam way better than a coil spring mattress. Once this one goes, we might try a tempurpedic.
lungbuster1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2020, 08:41 PM   #26
Darton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

I ordered a Puffy Lux and have never looked back
Darton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2020, 08:46 PM   #27
lungbuster1985
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulmer34 View Post
I had the battle of waking up with lower back pain, after going through 3 mattresses in 5 years my wife bought me one of these pillows and it seems to be doing the trick. So you may be chasing the wrong problem. Lot cheaper to try pillows than mattresses too.
https://sleepsutera.com/
Pillows make a huge difference in my sleep. Not sure if they help my back pain or not, because if itís not right I wonít sleep at all. Then Iím just miserable all around. We bought fancy name brand memory foam pillows that were like 200 bucks each. I absolutely could not sleep on them. Went back to my bamboo pillow from amazon and sleep like a baby. I might have to try one of these when its time for a new pillow.
lungbuster1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2020, 10:16 PM   #28
TxKronik
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb and Comal County

Itís expensive but I use an organic talalay latex mattress from plush beds botanical bliss. I had a very expensive sleep number and this is far better.
TxKronik is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2020, 10:54 PM   #29
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

I have a Purple mattress. Love it. Don't know if it would be the ticket for you or not, but like a lot of those types of beds it has a money back guarantee. My wife and I went through 2 or 3 similar mattresses before we each found what we liked. We didn't like the same one, so instead of a king we each got different twin XL mattresses and put them together on our king bed frame. Same size as a king that way, and we each got the mattress we liked. You just have to pay attention to mattress thicknesses if you mix and match like that. Might have to put some plywood under a thinner one to level the top with the other mattress if you pick two mattresses of different thicknesses. The ones we picked are only about 1/2" different, so it's a non-issue.

I'll echo Gary's recommendation of losing weight and low carb lifestyle. I'd recommend getting serious with keto. You'll drop weight like crazy if you adopt that as a lifestyle. I started it last December in hopes of just feeling better and being more healthy. I'm 6' and weighed about 218 when I started. I figured I might have about 10 pounds to lose, but losing weight wasn't a big need or priority. This morning I weighed 188 (what I weighed in college - I'm 54 now). I had no idea I could lose that much weight without even trying. I'm doing the same workouts I was doing before keto. Only change has been nutrition. I've leveled out in the upper 180s, so I think I'm through losing weight. Been eating all the meat, low-carb veggies, cheese, and healthy fats (NOT seed oils, but actual healthy fats like what comes attached to meat, olive oil, avocado oil, fish oils, etc.). Also, I'm doing time restricted eating (a form of intermittent fasting). I don't eat breakfast or snacks between meals. Just eat lunch and supper. When you eat fat for fuel instead of carbs for fuel, you don't get hungry every 2 hours. I didn't think there would be any way I could be comfortable only eating lunch and supper, but it is not an issue at all. It's really pretty amazing how much difference it makes when you stop eating lots of carbs.

Like Gary, I hardly ever have any back or joint pain, indigestion, or other inflammation-related stuff like that anymore. Really has been amazing. I have zero desire to ever go back to the standard American diet of low fat high carb food.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top