Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 09-16-2020, 04:13 PM   #1
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In camo
Default Matagorda Island WMA General Deer

Got drawn for 11/30-12/02 hunt. Anyone else get drawn?
txoutdoorsman24 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 10:17 PM   #2
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

Sub'd
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 08:28 AM   #3
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

I guess you and I are the only ones on TBH.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:05 AM   #4
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

Good luck gents!
Mexico is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 09:24 AM   #5
BiggieSmalls
Four Point

We've hunted it in years past. Its primitive camping and you do not want to be running back and forth between hunts to the mainland if you can keep from it. They take you to the blinds, the shots can be a pretty good distance. Take plenty of mosquito spray and ice. It's a neat hunt, lots of wide open areas. Find out if there were any prescribed burns on the island and hunt those areas as the vegetation is sweeter for the deer. If not try hunting either towards the north end of the island by the lighthouse or as far south as they will take you. If it's rained or looks like rain, take some waders because some of the walks to the blinds from the drop-off are low and you'll find yourself wading through 2-3ft of water.

Did I mention mosquito spray?
BiggieSmalls is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 09:46 AM   #6
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Thanks Mexico.

Good info Biggie. Thanks for posting
Old 09-17-2020, 10:35 AM   #7
justletmein
Pope & Young

tx, good binoculars will help a lot. Those deer are like ghosts moving in and out of the tall grass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggieSmalls View Post
We've hunted it in years past. Its primitive camping and you do not want to be running back and forth between hunts to the mainland if you can keep from it. They take you to the blinds, the shots can be a pretty good distance. Take plenty of mosquito spray and ice. It's a neat hunt, lots of wide open areas. Find out if there were any prescribed burns on the island and hunt those areas as the vegetation is sweeter for the deer. If not try hunting either towards the north end of the island by the lighthouse or as far south as they will take you. If it's rained or looks like rain, take some waders because some of the walks to the blinds from the drop-off are low and you'll find yourself wading through 2-3ft of water.

Did I mention mosquito spray?
There was an accidental fire last year, truck lit up a couple thousand acres towards the end.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:43 AM   #8
Arrowed C
Six Point

As a Calhoun County native I've always question what this hunt would have in store. As far as burns, I'm pretty sure justletmein's statement was correct. Good luck! Ready to hear this one out
Arrowed C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2020, 11:12 AM   #9
Cberry
Four Point

Hunt In: East Texas

I hunted it back in 2017. Shot my buck within 30 minutes of sitting in the blind. Ton of people shot deer in the first afternoon with a few of them being good bucks for island deer. Camping isn't bad quite a few mosquitos though. I shot my deer at about 70 yards but other guys were shooting deer out to 300 especially on the binds that are closest to the surf. Blinds are all drawn but if there are openings they will let you choose a different one.
Cberry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2020, 11:16 AM   #10
Cberry
Four Point

If you don't have a boat to get out to the island I know some fishing guides in POC that will taxi you out to the island (Not sure how much they charge). PM if needed and I can give you their number.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:55 AM   #11
SabineHunter
Ten Point

Dang, I got drawn for the first hunt ever in like 1982. I just got to Texas and my Texan born and raised GF laughed at me saying, Matagorda is a beach, there are no deer there. So, I didn't send my money in, $50 back then. Well, a couple of years later I ran into a game warden that happened to work that hunt. He told me there were many big bucks shot that hunt. That GF turned into my first mistake, and then ended up being my first ex in Texas.
SabineHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2020, 01:02 PM   #12
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cberry View Post
I hunted it back in 2017. Shot my buck within 30 minutes of sitting in the blind. Ton of people shot deer in the first afternoon with a few of them being good bucks for island deer. Camping isn't bad quite a few mosquitos though. I shot my deer at about 70 yards but other guys were shooting deer out to 300 especially on the binds that are closest to the surf. Blinds are all drawn but if there are openings they will let you choose a different one.
Awesome thanks for the info. Hope to get it done quickly but well see. Can you PM me a pic of your buck if you don't mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabineHunter View Post
Dang, I got drawn for the first hunt ever in like 1982. I just got to Texas and my Texan born and raised GF laughed at me saying, Matagorda is a beach, there are no deer there. So, I didn't send my money in, $50 back then. Well, a couple of years later I ran into a game warden that happened to work that hunt. He told me there were many big bucks shot that hunt. That GF turned into my first mistake, and then ended up being my first ex in Texas.
hahaha nice
Old 09-18-2020, 03:21 PM   #13
Cberry
Four Point

[QUOTE=txoutdoorsman24;15108946]Awesome thanks for the info. Hope to get it done quickly but well see. Can you PM me a pic of your buck if you don't mind.

I couln't figure out how to add attachments in the PM's.
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2020, 04:29 PM   #14
jomw10
Four Point

I hunted a few years ago. Great place, but a huge storm went through and destroyed my tent. All poles snapped, and water everywhere. We end up sleeping inside the abandon building for the rest of the hunt. One of the hunters decided to stay out all day during the storm, he didn't have much fun on it!.
I only had one chance at a deer, but I hadn't even loaded the gun yet so no shot. Didn't have another chance!... But others shot nice deer usually 300 yards or so.
jomw10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2020, 06:07 PM   #15
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

[quote=Cberry;15109290]
Quote:
Originally Posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
Awesome thanks for the info. Hope to get it done quickly but well see. Can you PM me a pic of your buck if you don't mind.

I couln't figure out how to add attachments in the PM's.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:16 AM   #16
RobinBradbery
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomw10 View Post
I hunted a few years ago. Great place, but a huge storm went through and destroyed my tent. All poles snapped, and water everywhere. We end up sleeping inside the abandon building for the rest of the hunt. One of the hunters decided to stay out all day during the storm, he didn't have much fun on it!.
I only had one chance at a deer, but I hadn't even loaded the gun yet so no shot. Didn't have another chance!... But others shot nice deer usually 300 yards or so.
Is that the same hunt where one of the boats sunk at the dock and two others had to be towed?
RobinBradbery is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2020, 01:11 AM   #17
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomw10 View Post
Definitely need a solid tent out there. We duck hunt out there often and have seen many tents destroyed.
Old 09-19-2020, 01:16 AM   #18
rut-ro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

Will be there middle of December. Save us some deer. We are taking 2 kids hunting
rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2020, 12:11 PM   #19
Hooverfb
Ten Point

In years past I havent pur in because of no boat... now that I have a kayak I might have to start putting iij n for this
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2020, 12:17 PM   #20
Txfire409
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hardin County, Big Thicket NP, Moore Plantation

Congrats and good luck! Shot the oldest deer I've ever taken there. They aged him at 8.5
Txfire409 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2020, 04:05 PM   #21
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txfire409 View Post
Congrats and good luck! Shot the oldest deer I've ever taken there. They aged him at 8.5
Thanks bud, Thatís def an old deer.
Old 09-19-2020, 04:27 PM   #22
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooverfb View Post
In years past I havent pur in because of no boat... now that I have a kayak I might have to start putting iij n for this
You taking your tent, gun, food and deer ice over by kayak?
999 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2020, 10:56 PM   #23
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999 View Post
You taking your tent, gun, food and deer ice over by kayak?
There used to be a guy who'd paddle a canoe over every year for duck hunts, big Italian dog riding up front and all. We watched him paddle out headed home in some rough weather too. Everybody would offer rides and he wasn't having it. He's got a small boat now.
Also got a buddy I met after seeing him paddle up to camp at Amistad with a mouflon draped over his kayak. Some of these guys are insane. Lol

Last edited by justletmein; 09-19-2020 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-19-2020, 10:57 PM   #24
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by rut-ro View Post
Will be there middle of December. Save us some deer. We are taking 2 kids hunting
We'll be there for the youth hunt as well.
Old 09-20-2020, 04:41 PM   #25
txhunt7
Six Point

Matagorda Island Story - never deer hunted there, but when I was a kid my brothers and dad, my Dad's friend and his son camped and fished one night. Dads friends son had a been hooked in gut in rodeo so was still recovering, wrapped at the waist but hobbling. A northern supposed to come in the coming Monday, thought we'd be long gone on Sunday. About 4am I woke up and floundered with my Dad's friend. He told me look at the lightening coming. Gigged a few, went back to bed. Hour later the tent turned into the moon walk with ~ 70 mile + winds according to coast guard. Everyone in the undies trying to hold corners of the tent down.
Boat almost drug out into the bay. At daylight helicopters flying over, learned later a tug had been flipped in the gulf. Going back to dock in the and swells that resembled off shore storm. I've been in panhandle blizzards but never been that cold in my life

Moral of this Story - - Never go to Matagorda Island if there's a good northern coming and if there is, I'd give the weatherman 48 hours for error.
txhunt7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2020, 01:28 PM   #26
-J0E
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Sugar Valley

Drawn for 11/30-12/02. Plan to be there with wishful thoughts of decent weather and no mosquitoes.
-J0E is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2020, 08:48 PM   #27
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Bringing this back up top. Almost time to go island huntin
Old 11-23-2020, 03:13 AM   #28
esoct25
Four Point

Always wondered about this hunt. Give us a full report when your done!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk
esoct25 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top