Question about tabs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about tabs?

I was reading another thread when I remembered an issue I've been having since switching full time to a tab. I asked the same question on that thread but I thought I'd start a thread about it in case anyone else is having similar issues.

When using a tab is it normal to develop a callous on your middle finger? When I started using a tab my grouping did improve and I am now a full time tab user. However, sometimes my middle finger even starts to bleed a little, not always but at times. I just ignore it. Does this suggest I am plucking the string upon release or doing something else wrong?

I've never heard of middle finger bleeding. Most people develop a callous on their ring finger and this is, a lot of times, due to too much pressure with that finger on the string. I'll be watching to see what others have to say about this one.

Bisch

Comment

lol I figured it was usual.

Let me try to post a pic.

Comment

when I was competing I had callouses on my middle & ring finger that a guarded and tried not to get too wet - sorta like a guitar player

Comment

I had the exact opposite experience. When I used a glove, I ahd a huge callous on the bottom of my ring finger. When I switched to a tab, it went away and I do not have any callous' now and I shoot just about every day.

Wayne

Comment

I tried switching to a tab but couldn't shoot worth a crap because my fingers were hurting too much. I shoot ok with a glove so after my 2 weeks of pain I went back to my glove.

Comment

I've never notice any problem with my middle finger, but I get a little callous on my index
              finger right beside the nail, usually caused by torquing the string. when I notice it, I work
              on form a little and it gets OK. I have yet to figure out how a lot of guys are hurting
              their lips and noses with a tab, I've never experienced that with a glove or a tab.

Comment

When I first started using a tab my fingers were a bit tender for a week or two due to the reduced amount of material between my skin and the string. After a while they "toughened up" and it became a non-issue but even then I didn't have any callouses. I will occasionally get a callous on the bottom of my ring finger but it's due to a form flaw (elbow too high and poor tension distribution), I've found that the blank bale, a video camera, and a "string bow" in front of a mirror do wonders to correct it!

FWIW, most nose/lip/face discomfort comes from shooting a tab that's too big. There was a thread on here a while back that showed how folks trimmed them down to fit, and I have to admit I was surprised at how little material was actually required to protect your fingers.

I made the switch from glove to tab last April and I don't foresee myself going back, the finger to face point of reference has allowed me to achieve consistency in my anchor point that I never could accomplish using a glove. Hope you get it figured out soon, you might consider reducing the amount of shooting sessions you have each week until you fingers adapt to the change!

Comment

My fingers are all calloused up just keep shooting and they'll stop bothering you eventually!

Comment

Working...
                  X