No announcement yet.

Indian artifact excavation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That looks like so much fun. And soooo interesting. How exciting!!!!! Good luck

Comment

How long does it take for wood to petrify? To think there was petrified wood for points to be made from that long ago just blows my mind!

Comment

The way i understand it abouyt 50,000 years although most pertrified wood is MILLIONS of years old.

Comment

BEAUTY!!!

Comment

Stevie I have been helping the daughter move and have been a bit out of touch. Just wanted you to know Im not going anywhere.....

Can you school me on the material of the Angustora. That thing is BEAUTIFUL.......

Comment

Roy it is Edwards rootbeer flint. Came from the hill country somewhere. The Scotty is Novaculite. Came from Arkansas!

Comment

Imagine what people must find when they excavate a TBHers stomping grounds hundreds of hears from now. Rage broadheads will be artifacts...

Comment

Yesterday's points were awesome, you did good!
                  Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Livin a dream. Livin a dream.
                    Jeesh.

Comment

I stayed up Stevie got to crash now. Can't wait for the update tomorrow.

Comment

Sorry for just now responding Steve. I sent you a text a bit ago....been way out in the hills outside of Leakey digging points myself. I didn't find that g-10 blade I was after but found plenty of artifacts that made it home with me. I will try to get a few pics up when I can.

The variety continues to show itself on your camp. I love that ango and beautiful flint it is made out of. I've got one that looks very similar to that one that I dug out in Real County. I think a page or two back you have that sweet little paleo piece...a Dalton perhaps? That is what my son called it within 1 second after seeing it.

Lovin it man and can't wait to see what you kick up next!

Comment

Glad you did good Johnny, post up some pics for us! I took these pics last Saturday as Steve was covering up the "well." Somebody wanted to see an arrowhead as it was caught off the screen with mud on it, so I braved the bouncing dirt and took pics of a live one, lol. Pics will give a little more size perspective than most of the earlier site pics:

Possumwalk supervising the operation:

Feeding the shaker:

Down the hill is where the well was, Steve has just covered it up so he can drive over it:

"Live" arrowhead. Muddy side is where it was resting against the clay:

Cleaner side:

Downhill to the current dig area:

Comment

Thanks for posting these pics up fo teef! Good to clarify the picture in my head of how all of this works. It still just blows my mind how much earth is being moved to find the smallest of artifacts!

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                              Sorry for just now responding Steve. I sent you a text a bit ago....been way out in the hills outside of Leakey digging points myself. I didn't find that g-10 blade I was after but found plenty of artifacts that made it home with me. I will try to get a few pics up when I can.

The variety continues to show itself on your camp. I love that ango and beautiful flint it is made out of. I've got one that looks very similar to that one that I dug out in Real County. I think a page or two back you have that sweet little paleo piece...a Dalton perhaps? That is what my son called it within 1 second after seeing it.

Lovin it man and can't wait to see what you kick up next!
                              Looking forward to seeing your pics!
                              When you get a little sleep, Look a couple pages back at the big blade. It was found near the spring and the other Scotts Bluffs, It has been preliminarily called a Scotts bluff blade because of the flaking and over all shape.

Also that paleo point(I posted several) you speak of, I think is a Golondrina that has been resharpened a lot. It does have the Dalton profile and may be one but if you put it with all the Golondrins bases i have found up there it fits perfectly.

Gotta go dig now......
                              Last edited by GarGuy; 08-23-2012, 06:12 AM.

Comment

I saw that blade Steve...very nice and yes, looks like a Scotty to me. Maybe they made it and didn't put the weak ears on it to finish it off perhaps? Sweet piece for sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X