Servicing Nikon cameras and lenses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Servicing Nikon cameras and lenses?

So my D7000 and 18–200VR could each use a servicing. The lens is having focusing problems, and has caused me to miss a couple shots lately. The camera body's on switch is sticky, and doesn't turn well.

I'm trying to decide whether to pay for insured shipping to Nikon on both of these, or to take them somewhere in Austin or San Antonio for repair.

Any constructive thoughts appreciated.

In for this, I dropped my camera and dented my 14-24, still works in manual focus, but the auto-focus isn't reliable. Need to send it in for repair.

Comment

Havel Camera Repair in SA is about the best. They are on Basse, just west of San Pedro.

Comment

Originally posted by El Viejo View Post
        Havel Camera Repair in SA is about the best. They are on Basse, just west of San Pedro.

Wow, right next to the ghetto purple pet store I used to get crickets from. Had no idea.

Comment

I've had to use Nikon's service on two occasions. The zoom ring on my 24-70 got stuck, and the pin on my SB900 wouldn't retract. (I couldn't get it off the camera body.) Both repairs took about two weeks and were under warranty. I had to send them to El Segundo, CA.
          Last edited by scotty; 07-27-2015, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
            So my D7000 and 18–200VR could each use a servicing. The lens is having focusing problems, and has caused me to miss a couple shots lately. The camera body's on switch is sticky, and doesn't turn well.

I'm trying to decide whether to pay for insured shipping to Nikon on both of these, or to take them somewhere in Austin or San Antonio for repair.

Any constructive thoughts appreciated.

My brother makes his living with Nikon cameras, and any work he has done is through Nikon. Takes slightly longer but best in the long run. He does use insurance and it is well worth it.

Comment

my dad ships his stuff to Nikon as well. He lets them know he makes his money with them and they try to hurry with it...Usually with ship time and service he's without for about a week to week and a half. His isnt warranty work so it does cost a bit depending on whats wrong.

Comment

Yes, send back to Nikon. It might be free. I just sent a pair of binos to them and they reworked for free. Binos are probably 6-8 years old.

Comment

nice

Comment

If you do stay local, Precision Camera in Austin used to have a pretty good repair department. I moved away from there 5 years ago so I can't speak for how they are now.
                    As others have said, sending your gear into Nikon is probably the best route if you don't mind the wait.

Comment

Havel is awesome. They fixed a point and shoot once for me for free. They recently replaced the card slot pin connector in my Canon 7D. I will always go to them first.

Comment

Working...
                      X