Beautyberries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beautyberries

A blog is about the wild edible and medicinal plants of Texas and North America. It is run by chemist herbalist Dr. Mark Merriwether Vorderbruggen.

Did you know they were eatable?

You better eat as many as you can baaaaw!....

Comment

I did not know that.. thanks for sharing. It does say proceed in small quantities if you try them to see if they upset your stomach or not

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
        You better eat as many as you can baaaaw!....
        They come out like purple corn

Comment

Interesting. I didn't know that they were edible. I was always told that they would make you sick. The woods that I hunt in Houston County are loaded with them.

Comment

Deer love them...They grow and not touched by Deer then when they reach a certain point ..Then Boom Deer while them out...

Comment

When mast is scarce, squirrels will eat them too. In the case of squirrels, it turns their droppings purple too... Seen deer droppings that have the purple tint too, not a flat purple as squirrels, but you can definitely tell when they've been eating them...
              Old folks at home always called 'em "French Mulberries" and said thay wuz poisonous... Course some of the same folk said you couldn't eat fried fish and have Ice cream for dessert because milk n fish together was poisonous too...

Comment

Supposedly the leaves of the plant can help repel mosquitoes... From merrieweathers website he says they make really good jelly. They dont have much of a taste raw.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                  Course some of the same folk said you couldn't eat fried fish and have Ice cream for dessert because milk n fish together was poisonous too...

It's been a long time but I heard similar growing up and it never stopped me... Thanks for the flash from the past.

Comment

Yep. Not a lot of taste but you can sure eat them.

The first deer I ever gutted had a bunch of them in its stomach.

Comment

Deer in Houston county love them where I hunt. Problem is, they’re everywhere. Makes it hard to narrow down a good spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
                        Deer love them...They grow and not touched by Deer then when they reach a certain point ..Then Boom Deer while them out...
                        I think this is a myth. I have them all over the place and you can tell nothing touches them. Even while in the stand, never seen a deer so much nibble on one.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                          I think this is a myth. I have them all over the place and you can tell nothing touches them. Even while in the stand, never seen a deer so much nibble on one.
                          Its not a myth. Deer hammer them in houston co..
                          They are also edible for humans but not great. They DO make amazing jelly!

Comment

Originally posted by Jason85 View Post
                            Supposedly the leaves of the plant can help repel mosquitoes... From merrieweathers website he says they make really good jelly. They dont have much of a taste raw.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
                            When deer are on them we break a branch off and rub ourselves down with it. It does help with mosquitos and as a cover scent.

Comment

I have some in my backyard and the deer eat them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X