Recurve for a small kid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recurve for a small kid

I am looking for some info concerning buying my son a recurve.
    If you were buying a recurve for a 9 year old boy what would you look for and where?
    He is small....60lbs or so.... medium height.
    I am looking for something for him and I to do together and I think he'd enjoy shooting.
    I am looking for a beginner bow for him (since I sold my Black Widow I'll need a new one too) but not real expensive.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TWC, Black Rhino makes a really nice bow for kids. They are longbows, though. I'm not sure if they make a recurve or not. I bought one for my son when he was 4 yo. They make them in many different draw weights and sizes. Very well made kid's bows.

Comment

I second TWC, Black Rhino makes a nice longbow. Martin also has some nice bows, but they are a little more expensive. 3-rivers archery also has some youth bows for around $75 but I have never seen one in person, so I don't know about the quality.

My 5 year old is shooting a Quinn Comet takedown recurve 25# @ 24" and he draws 19". Sure Shot Archery in Humble, TX has them for around a $100. It is a pretty good beginners bow and is well made. Tanner is in my profile pic.

Comment

Great idea to shoot with your son. My son and I started shooting when he was 10, went into pig and deer hunting with bows, then into serious waterfowl hunting. He's in college now and that's what we do together, I went to hunt with him 2x this waterfowl season and stayed at his fraternity. Go for it, make it happen!

I'd trust anything in the Three Rivers catalog, and you can always return anything bought from cabelas if not what you wanted, no questions asked.

Comment

My 8yo daughter shoots a 20# Martin Prodigy. Very well made bow. She can draw the 20 pounds all the way to her mouth.
          I made her arrows from 1/4 inch ramis dowels. I got steel points from 3 Rivers and nocks and feathers from eBay.

Comment

Working...
          X