Feathers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feathers?

I want to fletch my own arrows for my new/used recurve.Any ideas on best lenagth n shape?4inch,5inch,parabolic,classic,shield,etc.... ?
    Thanks guys!

I would always recommend 5" arrows as they stabilize your arrow quicker especially with broadheads

Comment

You better watch it next you will be chaseing a gobbler around trying to get him to give up his wing feathers......Then a feather chopper.....I tried all them seems to me best looking is shield but after about 100 plus shots they get worn and make a little noise.......I think the parabolic in five inch worked best for me but I havn't done any arrows in about year as far as that goes I havn't even shot my longbow in past six months since I came out of retirement and went back to work as ranchhand on four different places......Andy

Comment

I'm from the school of ... you can't have to much feather. I use 5-1/2" shield cut.

Comment

I really like the looks of the shield cut but I don't shoot far enough yet to see if they stabilize any better than the parabolic. I have some of both on my practice arrows. All my hunting arrows are shield cut. Since it is time to start over for my longbow, I plan on going with Buff's favorite...5 1/2 high back shields.

Comment

Comment

It depends on the diameter of your arrow. If I am using a large diameter arrow, then I like to use 4, four fletch shields. However if the arrow is smaller, then it is hard to get four on it, so I use 3, five inch parabolic. There is a little more stabalization with the 4, four inch but not much. I just think the look good, and you don't have to worry about which way to nock it on the string.

Comment

Originally posted by Cropduster View Post
                It depends on the diameter of your arrow. If I am using a large diameter arrow, then I like to use 4, four fletch shields. However if the arrow is smaller, then it is hard to get four on it, so I use 3, five inch parabolic. There is a little more stabalization with the 4, four inch but not much. I just think the look good, and you don't have to worry about which way to nock it on the string.
                Wait.So you are using "4" feathers for EACH arrow?Not 3?Hmmmmm

Comment

I use whats on sale I like 5" shields but if I find 4" for cheap I use 4 of them and I have used 6- 4" to make flu-flu's. I guess thats why my arrows have a rainbow of color. I just bought orange and yellow and paint for orange cresting for a dozen cedar arrows. maybe I wont lose as many this year as the 3d season start's.

Comment

I use 4'' and up. I don't like to use anything less than 4" Like buff said the more the better. Better arrow flight....

Comment

I use 3 five inch shield cut, because I like the look better. I have fleched some with 4 feathers and that is fine. All the styles will work if you are tuned right to begin with, it is mostly a matter of personal pref.

Comment

I just fletched up 3 arrows with four 4" feathers. I clipped the top inch off of some 5" feathers, making the top end pointy. They look kool and fly like the 3 fletchers.

Comment

Feathers usually are set on the arrow with a some offset. Don't go over board and put a lot of twist to the feathers or they will make noise going down range. I fletched several arrows different ways to test them and found those with a lot of offset to be loud.

You might experiement to see what works and doesn't work for you.

Comment

Working...
                          X