257 Roberts bs 25-06

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

257 Roberts bs 25-06

Just looking at a new barrel for my TC. What's the opinions on these two calibers?

Ballistic, reloadbility ( in relation to materials), accuracy?

Thanks

257 Roberts is a great cartridge but there is a reason Ackley blew the shoulder forward..

Comment

I'm open to input. I have a caliber gap between 243 and 308. 7mm mag is good but my 308 is my Elk rifle for now. I know going to 280 is not comparable to the 250 class level but what are yalls thoughts. Really just thinking right now. Not buying anytime soon

Comment

I mean 270 is always a good one

Comment

7mm-06 or .280 Remington has long been my favorite... 160 BT

Had some really good 25-06 over the years but when push comes to shove I always reach for the 7mm-06 but it do need a 26" barrel to really shine.. So does the 25-06..

Short barrel.. I'd go with 257 Roberts or 7mm-08 both hold their own in 20"-22" mountain style rifles..

Comment

I've shot a 700 mountain rifle in .257 Roberts for the last 30 years and have taken countless deer with it. Great rifle and round combination IMO. I'm more of a short action fan as well...

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Javi Cooper View Post
              257 Roberts is a great cartridge but there is a reason Ackley blew the shoulder forward..
              Bingo

Comment

I'd go 25-06, 110 grain Accubonds or 115 VLD's have worked very well for me on deer and pigs.

Comment

I have both a 257 Roberts and 25-06. I like them both. For general use I like the Roberts, even though the 25-06 has more punch when you really need it.

Main problem with the 257 is brass availability. The is some out there now since Winchester just made a run. But sometimes you can go years at a time without any being available through distributors. When you find it you need to stock up. Never any availability issues with 25-06 brass.

Yes, you can form cases from 7x57 or 6mm Rem since that is all the same parent case. But since I have a couple 7x57 rifles as well I like mine to be headstamped correctly.

Comment

The 25-06 and 257 Roberts are both good mid bore cartridges. At the end of the day the 25-06 will outperform Roberts and most likely be easier to come by if you don't reload. I have both and they each have their place.

Comment

A .260 would fit nicely in that caliber gap!

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
                        The 25-06 and 257 Roberts are both good mid bore cartridges. At the end of the day the 25-06 will outperform Roberts and most likely be easier to come by if you don't reload. I have both and they each have their place.
                        Agreed. If you don't reload, you'll probably be much happier with the ammo availability of the .25-06.

LWD

Comment

I shoot 5 or more boxes/year of .257 Roberts ammo and have never had a problem finding ammo or components. It's really become my go-to truck gun for pigs and pasture patrol.

Although I reload, I've also started using the Nosler Trophy with 110 gr. accubonds simply because my model 70 shoots them well. Rarely have a problem finding it at the local store or especially MidwayUSA or Brownell's.

Although the 25-06 does pack more of a punch, it's not enough for me to worry about. The .257 is simply much more mild and pleasant to shoot.

Comment

If you're going with the .257, you either have to get very lucky, or order a custom barrel for the TC Encore. I know... I've been looking for years, and every time one pops up, I'm either late to see it, or short on cash. I've owned and sold three .25-06 barrels in that time. All 26" heavy profile, and all were excellent shooters.

If you have a line on a .257 Roberts Encore barrel, and you pass on it, please let me know.

All the best,
                            Glenn

Comment

25-06 will take down an elk and shoots as flat as day old beer

Comment

Working...
                              X