Another Octagon Blind (pictures)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Octagon Blind (pictures)

I have to say, the GS was a great inspiration for this project. I first saw an octagon blind and could only dream about staying dry on those drizzly cold days, so here's my version (at least as far as I've gotten thus far). Nothing new on the engineering, 6x6 on the width, I built my windows 4' tall and the middle three are 13" wide with the sides being 11" wide. I covered the windows with fiberglass screen (thanks to a recommendation here) and my plan is to put plexi on the inside that will hinge to the inside so as to not profile on the outside of the blind. Has anyone had any experience with this, good/bad?
    Attached Files

I like it! Don't have any experience with the fiberglass mesh. Being able to comfortably sit all day makes a big difference.

Comment

That looks great. I need to get busy and do the same thing myself.

Comment

looks fantastic! My only suggestion would be to completely black out the inside and wear black when hunting it. When I first built my octagon a few years ago I had large windows like yours with camo shoot-through mesh and I found that the deer could silhouette me when I was hunting it...I've since replaced the panels with windows cut much smaller.

Comment

and camo'd
          Attached Files

Comment

thanks for the tips, I'm hoping I can get away with the bigger windows it's gonna be a sauna in October but that's a good idea that I'll backpocket if I have to go narrower

Comment

Originally posted by gumbl3 View Post
              thanks for the tips, I'm hoping I can get away with the bigger windows it's gonna be a sauna in October but that's a good idea that I'll backpocket if I have to go narrower
              You got that right...I have been known to hunt my box blind in a thin black long sleeve shirt, a thin black facemask and shorts LOL

Comment

No help on your idea for the windows. Nice build

Comment

That's nice and you can sell snow cones out of it in the off-season. :-)

Comment

Great blind. I would suggest talking to the guys at DeerView windows. They may have an option for you. Great looking blind

Comment

Great looking blind! Do you have the building plans to share?

Comment

I'm looking to do something similar but more like the hex blind that travismears did. How are y'all doing these corner angles out of 2x2s?

Comment

nice blind

Comment

Thanks for all the comments. I don't have plans, but there is a set on here I'm pretty sure. It was pretty simple, It's 6' x 6'. The angles are at 22.5. I didn't used 2x2's, I just ripped a 2x4 with the blade thrown at 22.5 degrees. Making it 6x6 at the bottom, the walls worked out to be 30" wide. I put a 1/12 pitch on it by just making the front section 6" taller than the back section, figuring the height of the other sections was a little tricky but not impossible. A compound miter saw helps speed this project along. The biggest mistake I made was trying to stick frame this thing as seen in the first picture. My driveway is on a slant and trying to get everything plumb when I put the sheathing on was a b*($#. One could easily make the 8 walls at 30" and put it together at its final resting place with alot of ease.

Comment

Thats a nice blind

Comment

Working...
                              X