Spring food plot thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dushon View Post
    My boss wanted to plant alfalfa, 12 acres is drilled in and waiting for some rain. Along with 20 acres of native prairie grass. Should be an interesting next couple of months watching to see how these do.
    Cool stuff. Please keep us updated on the alfalfa.

I've wanted to plant this for many years but my pH is no where near alfalfa requirements. I know it also needs micro nutrients like boron, etc...

Do you know what variety you planted?

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
      Cool stuff. Please keep us updated on the alfalfa.

I've wanted to plant this for many years but my pH is no where near alfalfa requirements. I know it also needs micro nutrients like boron, etc...

Do you know what variety you planted?

We put out 700,000 lbs of lime 2 winters ago our ph is excellent for our area. Roundup ready alfalfa. I already burned the bags it came in, forgot the company name.

Comment

We put out 700,000 lbs of lime 2 winters ago our ph is excellent for our area. Roundup ready alfalfa. I already burned the bags it came in, forgot the company name.

RR should do well. I'm sure its a low dormancy variety for this far south. There were some Texas Extension articles done about a decade ago about landowners growing alfalfa in East Texas of all places and said if you get the pH right and have the right soil.....its the best (legal ) cash crop per acre for that area.

Comment

Anyone do food plots in west Texas...ozona area?

Comment

Originally posted by Tsix-eightX View Post
            Anyone do food plots in west Texas...ozona area?

I'd recommend cactus and mesquite

Comment

I'd recommend cactus and mesquite
              Check and check

Comment

alfalfa starting to pop through in places. Off to a good start, should do pretty good because the deer have a lot of natural browse to grub on right now.

Comment

Anyone planting this weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by EastTx View Post

Ground temp is still too low for me in my woods.

Comment

If my seed comes in tomorrow I'll be trying to get it in the ground then as well. I'm trying some Sunn Hemp that I'll mix in some cowpeas and soybeans with on about 2 acres of fallow pasture that I plowed last week. I'll also be seeding some of Turner's bird mix (millet/milo, sunflowers, etc) into about two acres that had some decent native sunflowers last year.

I'm going to try and set up a get-r-dun all-in-one pass seeding-disking-packing arrangement with our tractor like this:

We'll see if it works.

Comment

Originally posted by 686 View Post
                        If my seed comes in tomorrow I'll be trying to get it in the ground then as well. I'm trying some Sunn Hemp that I'll mix in some cowpeas and soybeans with on about 2 acres of fallow pasture that I plowed last week. I'll also be seeding some of Turner's bird mix (millet/milo, sunflowers, etc) into about two acres that had some decent native sunflowers last year.

I'm going to try and set up a get-r-dun all-in-one pass seeding-disking-packing arrangement with our tractor like this:

We'll see if it works.

Just remember your broadcaster throws alot wider than what you're pullin. You're gonna get a lot of irregular planting depths with that setup.

Comment

Yeah, definitely going to have to watch the broadcast throw, may have to skip a row between passes while seeding and then come back and hit the skip rows just disk/packing.

The Sunn hemp needs to be planted 1/2" to 1" so I was thinking just sraighten out the disks and do the best we can. I don't have a seed drill, so trying to make something work.

Our disk is a pull type with hydraulic drop down tires, so I was thinking I might be able to use the tires to make sure not to put the seed in too deep.

Thanks for your input!

Comment

Great idea for a thread

Comment

Spring food plot thread

Originally posted by EastTx View Post

I got mine I and got a great rain on it. My soybeans are up two inches, but I didn't get a picture yet. I planted two different mixes. On about 1.5 acres. I separated the two and used different mixes to see what they preferred

Comment

We burnt it and lymed it in February. I'll get updated pics with the crop up this week

Comment

Working...
                                X