Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Spike a Hot Doe and a Big Buck-Coryell Co.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Spike a Hot Doe and a Big Buck-Coryell Co.

My little sliver of Coryell County is on the mend from the 2011 drought. It has been a long and slow recovery. With the young bucks I have if I can catch a little rain in 2015 hunting will be great and 2016 will be off the charts. Here are a few bucks that need time.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	batch.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	25038045

This season I had a couple of target bucks in mind and had settled for an old deer I called Joker. He and I played cat and mouse with each other last year and I was ready for the challenge. I set up a new stand just for him and the only time he showed was opening morning of bow season while I was hunting the other side of the ranch. Looks like he gained a little on his G2’s and about 2” wider.

Name:	PIC[1].JPG
Views:	1
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	25038042

I hunted very hard through bow season but just could not make it happen with the few mature bucks we have. The cold weather had me in a box blind with a rifle on November 15th and I must admit it was nice to be out of the cold wind. Both my lease mates and I had good action all morning. Bucks chasing everywhere but nothing mature showed. I decided to climb down at 11:00 and grab a bite to eat and get back in the blind by 2:00.

After getting back to the truck I ask my bud that was riding with me if he wanted to do a slow drive through the lease and go out the back gate. I had pics of an unknown 10 point buck in that area that was beginning to be a regular the last couple of weeks not to mention I had seen a big buck driving out that area the day before.

Name:	nov 15 001.jpg
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	25038043

Nearing the gate I see a spike looking my way. He is standing near a wooded creek over a rise in the landscape and all I can see is his head. I decide to slow role his way for the heck of it. As I get closer I notice he will look at me then back down into the creek. As I closed the distance to less than 100 yards he kept repeating this process. It was at that time that I think I got this figured out. This little spike that showed no fear was playing second fiddle to a hot doe and a buck bigger than him.

I put the truck in reverse and ease back down the hill until I am out of sight. I ask my bud if he was ok staying put while I take a closer look on foot. No problem from him so I chamber a round and begin my stalk up the creek. That part of the creek the spike was standing is fairly open and I should be able to see what all the fuss is about.

I close the distance to less than 100 yards and don’t see anything. I continue to move slowly from tree to tree and look through my scope for any sign of a deer. Somewhere around 75 yards out I see a buck deer with a nice rack and he sees me about the same time. Problem is I need to take 3 more steps to get a solid rest on the next tree. Lucky for me there is a pretty good wind blowing to mask my movement and I continue to take baby steps to the next tree. I sholder the rifle and he is watching me but has not moved and with a quick glance I knew it was the big 10. I lowered the crosshairs to the sholder and touched her off. The buck attempted to climb the bluff side of the creek but once he reached the top fell back into the water making a big splash.

At this point I can't see him and I take off running only to find him in the water motionless with the last bit of life bubbling out his nose. I just had to take a knee and gather it all in. Its not often a deer gets bigger than you thought but this guy sure did. As I sat there reflecting on all the hours I had hunted this season and to burn my tag like this was unreal.
    Without question I had just killed the biggest buck on the 400 acre lease. Gun or bow I am one happy dude.

My bud showed up about this time and I apoligize to him as he is in about as much shock as I am. We high 5 and everything is good and the celebration begins. Rough score 150 5/8

I never saw the doe but she was close by somewhere. I kinda hope that little spike got lucky with that doe,,cause I sure did.

Name:	dead deer.JPG
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	25038025

Name:	dead deer 1.JPG
Size:	261.3 KB
ID:	25038026

Name:	dead deer2.JPG
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	25038027

Name:	dead deer 3.JPG
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	25038028

Name:	dead deer 4.JPG
Size:	237.9 KB
ID:	25038029
    Last edited by Roy D Mercer; 11-19-2014, 05:06 PM.

nice buck. congrats

Comment

Great buck

Comment

That's just a dang brute Steve. I have been hoping you would post him up. Great writeup on a great deer for one of the finest folks I know.

Comment

Great story, and an awesome deer!!!

Comment

What a great buck
            Congrats

Comment

Congrats

Comment

awesome story and buck! congrats on the kill

Comment

Awesome buck congrats

Comment

WOW, that is a VERY NICE BUCK, congrats!!

Comment

That buck is going to make a fine mount

Comment

excellent story and a real nice buck, Congrats.
                        And are you the REAL Roy D Mercer?

Comment

Nice!!

Comment

Nice deer!!

Comment

Good buck......congrats

Comment

Working...
                              X