Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-02-2016, 08:56 PM   #1
Roscoe
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coryell County
Default Covert camera wireless App?

Hey folks, those of you with 2015-2016 Covert cellular cameras, it looks their wireless app for Apple & Android devices is out now for DL. Anybody heard anything about it or tried it yet?

Last edited by Roscoe; 03-02-2016 at 09:02 PM.
Roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2016, 09:03 PM   #2
Passthrough
Pope & Young

Sweet!! Been waiting on this!!! Was suppose to have been out alot sooner though
Passthrough is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2016, 09:04 PM   #3
Kbeaz
Ten Point

Hunt In: Seymour

I had no idea. I'll download it now. My camera is out in the field. Curious how/what it does.
Kbeaz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2016, 09:13 PM   #4
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

Holy crap. Good to hear.
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2016, 09:13 PM   #5
Kbeaz
Ten Point

I can not get on the website listed in the app to figure out my user ID and password. Let me know if anyone gets this working
Old 03-02-2016, 09:16 PM   #6
Randy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: 20' up a tree in Leon County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbeaz View Post
I can not get on the website listed in the app to figure out my user ID and password. Let me know if anyone gets this working
Me neither. I wonder if its for their newest cameras. It looks like you go through them now to purchase service for their cameras instead of a wireless carrier.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2016, 09:49 PM   #7
Roscoe
Pope & Young

Could be that it's just available for their pro staff/beta testers right now.

One thing is almost certain, you'll have to do a firmware update on your camera before it'll work with the app.

After you have have it up and running, it might do firmware updates remotely as needed.

Last edited by Roscoe; 03-02-2016 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:33 PM   #8
denowt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca Co/public land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbeaz View Post
When I go to www.covert-wireless.com, it takes me to some "My Yii" website.
Is that what everyone else is getting?

And I find it odd that there is no mention of the app on the main website www.covertscoutingcameras.com
denowt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2016, 07:05 AM   #9
Kbeaz
Ten Point

I'm getting the same thing
Old 03-03-2016, 08:20 AM   #10
gekko man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Erath County and Llano County

Interesting! I'll make a call today and get the scoop!
gekko man is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2016, 08:38 AM   #11
jimmyneutrontx
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady, Tx

sweet.
jimmyneutrontx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2016, 09:08 AM   #12
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Smith and Sutton County

tag
BowSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2016, 09:48 AM   #13
RRFishNHunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kimble County

I called and am on a list that they are going to contact when they finish testing it(a few weeks). At that time, they will send out a new SIM card and then if you have the 2015 or newer camera you will have to sign up your service through Covert, which is still through the AT&T portal. You will need to install the new firmware, but they said don't do it now, wait till you get the new SIM card. You can call them and give them your name and email and they will contact you when they are complete with testing.

Last edited by RRFishNHunt; 03-03-2016 at 09:52 AM.
RRFishNHunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2016, 09:53 AM   #14
jimmyneutrontx
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRFishNHunt View Post
I called and am on a list that they are going to contact when they finish testing it(a few weeks). At that time, they will send out a new SIM card and then if you have the 2015 or newer camera you will have to sign up your service through Covert, which is still through the AT&T portal. You will need to install the new firmwaess, but they said don't do it now, wait till you get the new SIM card.
I guess you need some kind of serial number off the camera when you called to determine what year the camera is? I'm sure mine are 2015 as I bought then new last year but you never know
jimmyneutrontx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2016, 10:01 AM   #15
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Quote:
I called and am on a list that they are going to contact when they finish testing it(a few weeks). At that time, they will send out a new SIM card and then if you have the 2015 or newer camera you will have to sign up your service through Covert, which is still through the AT&T portal. You will need to install the new firmware, but they said don't do it now, wait till you get the new SIM card. You can call them and give them your name and email and they will contact you when they are complete with testing.
Sweet! Keep us updated.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:12 AM   #16
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

I got the notification as well...but I have a Verizon camera....haven't tried the app yet.
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2016, 10:01 AM   #17
Roscoe
Pope & Young

www.covert-wireless.com page is good now. I don't have anything to register so one of you guys with a 2015-2016 covert cell cam might give it a shot to see if the page will let you register.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:35 PM   #18
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
www.covert-wireless.com page is good now. I don't have anything to register so one of you guys with a 2015-2016 covert cell cam might give it a shot to see if the page will let you register.
I have 2 cameras registered through AT&T so I don't know how to proceed with the Covert page. I tried my AT&T log-in info to see if it would work and it won't. I guess the site is for new customers from this point forward?
Old 03-08-2016, 03:23 PM   #19
orlybow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mountain Home, Real Co.

tagged for future info...
orlybow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2016, 03:26 PM   #20
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlybow View Post
tagged for future info...

Ditto.
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2016, 03:32 PM   #21
markm
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young, Montague, and Kansas

I talked to Covert today. The AT&T app is not ready. They were having problems with Verizon so they focused on that app first. Now that is resolved they will be working on the AT&T app to finish it. She expects it to be 2-3 weeks.

Once the app is live you will have to register for data coverage with Covert, obtain a new Sim card from Covert (free I believe) and install a new firmware on your camera.

I put my name on a notification list so they will call or email once it is ready to roll.

My current plan doesn't run out till 4/11/2016 so hopefully the timing works out so I am not wasting my already paid for data.
markm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2016, 03:35 PM   #22
markm
Ten Point

Talking

Quote:
Guess I should have read your post before I typed all of mine on my phone keyboard. DOH!
Old 03-08-2016, 03:45 PM   #23
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

What is the advantage to the app?
Old 03-08-2016, 03:50 PM   #24
huntingfanatic
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall County

Isn't the new service more expensive ??
huntingfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2016, 03:51 PM   #25
markm
Ten Point

I believe it will allow you to change your camera settings remotely from your phone. Also the pictures will come into the app not text message or email.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:55 PM   #26
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm View Post
I believe it will allow you to change your camera settings remotely from your phone. Also the pictures will come into the app not text message or email.

If that's all it does I don't really see a need for it. If the camera can receive signals to change settings it can never go to "sleep" which will eat through batteries like the SMS feature did. I never used that feature for that reason.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:46 PM   #27
Roscoe
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowSlayer View Post
If that's all it does I don't really see a need for it. If the camera can receive signals to change settings it can never go to "sleep" which will eat through batteries like the SMS feature did. I never used that feature for that reason.

I'll tell you how the spartan app works and I think the covert app will be very similar. If the camera is not on in real time, meaning it's awake and "looking" for commands 24/7, you can set up multiple commands all at the same time and they will be in a queue waiting. There are three ways the commands get executed: 1) by motion triggered event 2) by time lapse triggered event 3) by scheduled event. As scheduled events I have a 5:00am status report emailed to me from the camera every morning and an 8:00am picture sent each day. I always know any changes I want to make can be done first thing every morning. I also know from receiving both that the camera is up and running. I can schedule up to 10 of these events on a daily or weekly basis.

I will say this, I know of virtually no one who has used the camera app that thinks sending the commands via text was a better, more efficient or more enjoyable way of doing things.

I expect long time covert cell cameras user to feel the same way when they first use their new app.

I turned real time on this morning so I could request pictures as the storms rolled through. No text codes to look up or remember, just easily done on the app.

When they get it done, at least give it a try. I think you'll like it.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:51 PM   #28
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
I'll tell you how the spartan app works and I think the covert app will be very similar. If the camera is not on in real time, meaning it's awake and "looking" for commands 24/7, you can set up multiple commands all at the same time and they will be in a queue waiting. There are three ways the commands get executed: 1) by motion triggered event 2) by time lapse triggered event 3) by scheduled event. As scheduled events I have a 5:00am status report emailed to me from the camera every morning and an 8:00am picture sent each day. I always know any changes I want to make can be done first thing every morning. I also know from receiving both that the camera is up and running. I can schedule up to 10 of these events on a daily or weekly basis.

I will say this, I know of virtually no one who has used the camera app that thinks sending the commands via text was a better, more efficient or more enjoyable way of doing things.

I expect long time covert cell cameras user to feel the same way when they first use their new app.

I turned real time on this morning so I could request pictures as the storms rolled through. No text codes to look up or remember, just easily done on the app.

When they get it done, at least give it a try. I think you'll like it.

Thanks for the explanation. I'll try it for sure once I'm convinced the bugs are out.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:08 AM   #29
hgiles
Ten Point

Hunt In: my blind

Anyone got set up with the app yet? My current plan is about to expire and I was thinking about switching over to this.
hgiles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2016, 10:10 AM   #30
Roscoe
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgiles View Post
Anyone got set up with the app yet? My current plan is about to expire and I was thinking about switching over to this.

Last update I saw from Covert was on 3/16 and they said the Code Black firmware update that is needed for the camera to work with the app would be ready in "two weeks."
Old 03-28-2016, 12:10 PM   #31
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

when do the new coverts come out? Looking for last years models on clearance and can hardly find any online at all
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2016, 08:14 AM   #32
Roscoe
Pope & Young

The 2016 Code Blacks are out now and they come with wireless app firmware on them and are functional. I know of a couple of people who received them late last week. The firmware upgrade to allow the 2015 Code Blacks has not been released yet, but it's supposed to be any day now on it.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:19 AM   #33
markm
Ten Point

I have a question. We have 2015 covert and I bought the special cable to hook the camera up to a external battery and solar panel.

You can't plug in the external cable and open the camera. There is a label inside that says do not operate a solar panel with regular alkaline batteries. So we had to make a special trip to Walmart and buy 24 rechargeable batteries so that we could power up the camera before plugging in the external cable.

My question is...... For the camera to operate do you have to go into test mode first so that it picks up the network or can you put the camera in the On position close the door and plug in the external cable?
Old 04-03-2016, 09:36 AM   #34
BloodSpiller
Six Point

Hunt In: Van Zandt County

Quote:
I have a question. We have 2015 covert and I bought the special cable to hook the camera up to a external battery and solar panel.

You can't plug in the external cable and open the camera. There is a label inside that says do not operate a solar panel with regular alkaline batteries. So we had to make a special trip to Walmart and buy 24 rechargeable batteries so that we could power up the camera before plugging in the external cable.

My question is...... For the camera to operate do you have to go into test mode first so that it picks up the network or can you put the camera in the On position close the door and plug in the external cable?
I never turn mine on without letting it obtain signal first, seems like everything I do something weird happens and I don't get pics for 24 hours. I used the external battery and solar panel but it went dead after about 4-5 days but I was getting 30-40 pics a day set at 1 minute increments so take this into consideration when setting it up.
BloodSpiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2016, 10:10 AM   #35
MONSTERKEN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Apparently where the deer ARE NOT

I am sorry, I didn't read whole thread, but isn't there a instructional booklet of some sort?? If I missed something bc I didn't read whole thread, just tell me to shoosh.
MONSTERKEN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2016, 10:32 AM   #36
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:

Yeah that's definitely something I wish they would change on the solar panel connection. If your internal batteries are dead you will lose signal and have to reset.
As to the alkaline batteries you should never use alkaline batteries or lithium for that matter with a charging source. The alkaline a will expand and leak acid all inside your camera and the lithium can overheat and explode. I use Eneloop pro rechargeables in mine. Going on 16 months of use and have only had to recharge them twice and one of those times the solar panel came unplugged.

I always go to test mode first to make sure it gets signal before switching to on mode.
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2016, 10:36 AM   #37
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Quote:
The 2016 Code Blacks are out now and they come with wireless app firmware on them and are functional. I know of a couple of people who received them late last week. The firmware upgrade to allow the 2015 Code Blacks has not been released yet, but it's supposed to be any day now on it.
Thank you sir!
Old 04-03-2016, 10:45 AM   #38
denowt
Ten Point

Quote:

Why did you need 24 batteries?

You don't have to go into test mode first, but I usually just to make sure everything comes up right.
With my old camera, I used to force it to take/send a pic using the SMS command.
With the new camera, I simply walk in front of it and wait for it to text me the picture.
The areas I use it have good cell coverage, so I rarely have problems.
On a previous lease, 1 location had poor cell coverage.
If I went directly to "on" and closed the lid, sometimes it would take several hours to start sending me pics, similar to what BloodSpiller stated.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:46 AM   #39
markm
Ten Point

2 cameras...... 12 each
Old 04-03-2016, 11:22 AM   #40
Roscoe
Pope & Young

Just FYI, it only takes 4 batteries in the camera to turn it on, 2 up top and 2 on the bottom. I usually put them on the far left. It's 3 series of 4 batteries. So if you are using an external battery with a solar panel, you really only need 4 batteries in too start camera and verify signal.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:44 AM   #41
denowt
Ten Point

Quote:
Just FYI, it only takes 4 batteries in the camera to turn it on, 2 up top and 2 on the bottom. I usually put them on the far left. It's 3 series of 4 batteries. So if you are using an external battery with a solar panel, you really only need 4 batteries in too start camera and verify signal.

Yep, that's why I asked why 24 batteries.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:46 AM   #42
markm
Ten Point

Quote:
Well crapola didn't know that.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:29 PM   #43
bwool
Eight Point

Hunt In: Uvalde co.

Do they still offer a trade in?
bwool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2016, 07:35 PM   #44
MatHalon16
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Looking

Man. I bought one of these and haven't taken it out of the package.
They sound difficult?
To start off with I guess I need to take it to Verizon?
MatHalon16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2016, 08:38 AM   #45
Roscoe
Pope & Young

Here's a "review" video from a guy who has one:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VD3aBQ...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-04-2016, 09:08 AM   #46
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwool View Post
Do they still offer a trade in?
Also wondering same thing, but I am very happy with my 2015 models. Not paying $400 for a new one tho when I got the 2015's for 292
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2016, 07:53 PM   #47
Roscoe
Pope & Young

Finding out a bit more on the new app. Not sure when an update will fix it, but the current version does not allow for multiple people to get pics from a single camera. They have to be forwarded manually by the camera owner currently. That's something they've got to change cause I know of very few people with cell cams who are not having multiple folks receive pictures.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:13 PM   #48
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatHalon16 View Post
Man. I bought one of these and haven't taken it out of the package.
They sound difficult?
To start off with I guess I need to take it to Verizon?
Not difficult at all. Read the directions and you'll be surprised. And no, don't take it anywhere but to your computer.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:06 PM   #49
markm
Ten Point

They told me that multiple people aren't able to get "group" text but you can give multiple people the login so they can get the pictures.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:34 AM   #50
Roscoe
Pope & Young

Quote:
They told me that multiple people aren't able to get "group" text but you can give multiple people the login so they can get the pictures.

If they have log in info, will they have access to the camera settings or is that something only the camera owner has access to?